Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Project Tamriel: A Morrowind mod

Poseidon00

Arcane
Dang, Morrowind is bigger than I thought. I didn't think any of the work on the provinces was released yet.

It's nice that I only did my first playthrough of Morrowind about two years ago, and I can happily sit on it and wait for major updates before trying it again.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Dang, Morrowind is bigger than I thought. I didn't think any of the work on the provinces was released yet.

It's nice that I only did my first playthrough of Morrowind about two years ago, and I can happily sit on it and wait for major updates before trying it again.

I checked out Tamriel Rebuilt like 10 years ago and it was extremely light on any sort of content. They've really come a long way and I can't wait to play the completed version in another 10 years.

Funposter

Arcane
until they find a way to mimic or implement MWSE-lua

What features are we talking about?

Scripts that can hack into games logic without modification of source code.
Stuff like scene graph manipulations, custom UI etc

Example mod

I wasn't even thinking of something like big Ashfall, but just simple things like PoisonCrafting and MWSE Harder Barter that make the game a lot more fun and/or balanced. An economy overhaul for OpenMW still requires you to go into the editor and change prices on all of the specific objects, change NPC's Mercantile skill, mess around with GMSTs etc. which ends up making them incompatible with other mods or means that any fan content with items priced like the vanilla game will break it (Tamriel Rebuilt). Then again, Magicka Expanded and OperatorJack's enhanced magical effects are a lot of fun too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Some screenshots of me exploring mainland Morrowind, Skyrim and Stirk;
Nice! A few years ago, I had posted screenshots of Tamriel Rebuilt's House Telvanni region, Sacred East region, House Redoran region, and House Indoril region. At the time, only House Telvanni was completed in terms of all content, including quests.

mnB8SPQ.jpg

BwhQWcS.jpg

bofiFEV.jpg

rfEMtHb.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I played it "years ago" and remember mage guild quest line being good. Which is the main issue - anyone can pop trees and houses around, but creating a long, intricate and interesting quest line takes 100 times more effort. Gigantism is a disease of modders. Why, for example, not create such a cool quest line for Caldera mage guild? A city which is pretty empty of content in original Morrowind.
Furthermore, there is finite ceiling for character growth, and one game can only support so much. What is the point for going into all these places for Nerevarine anyway? Whole game is based around the island and what happens on it, and Nerevarine prophecy.
It would be much better to either add new quests to original game which can support 10-20 times more content it has or to create new, standalone adventures.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
So, it's been a while since I played Morrowind and this thread has me wanting to do so, should I be using normal Morrowind or OpenMW?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
So, it's been a while since I played Morrowind and this thread has me wanting to do so, should I be using normal Morrowind or OpenMW?
normal for reasons Funposter already specified in this thread (if you plan on playing with mods that rely on MWSE), OpenMW perhaps if none of it concerns you (just take a quick peek at https://openmw.org/faq/ to see what OMW has got going for it)

Funposter

Arcane
I played it "years ago" and remember mage guild quest line being good. Which is the main issue - anyone can pop trees and houses around, but creating a long, intricate and interesting quest line takes 100 times more effort. Gigantism is a disease of modders. Why, for example, not create such a cool quest line for Caldera mage guild? A city which is pretty empty of content in original Morrowind.
Furthermore, there is finite ceiling for character growth, and one game can only support so much. What is the point for going into all these places for Nerevarine anyway? Whole game is based around the island and what happens on it, and Nerevarine prophecy.
It would be much better to either add new quests to original game which can support 10-20 times more content it has or to create new, standalone adventures.
One of the great joys of TES games is of course being able to LARP and essentially sustain an entire playthrough without doing a single minute of Main Quest content, and that's a big part of what adds to the appeal of TR. Along with that, the councilors for mainland Great Houses will all eventually be added to the Hortator quest, so even now players with TR are forced to visit the Telvannis district and gain the votes of the Tevlanni councilors there. It's an even bigger world that you can do whatever you want in, and being isolated from Vvardenfell, it means they aren't stepping on the toes of modders or the original game itself which means that it's automatically compatible with everything.

For a vanilla playthrough it doesn't really matter but best practice is probably OpenMW. Lightly-moderately modded, I would say OpenMW. Heavily modded and the scale tips towards the original engine due to MWSE-lua and all of the neat things that the script extender facilitates.

Funposter

Arcane
also since people drop screenshots, here's some stuff from doing Telvanni and Temple quests on a recent playthrough with fancy grass mods, texture replacers, mesh improvements etc. (and a shot of red mountain from the grazelands)

dhOEeae.jpg

TlkEQ3T.jpg

4fWxJ1P.jpg

ujXPOGg.jpg

Q8ewTgk.jpg

MgYLq9o.jpg

eo1JP6y.jpg

eff9zSD.jpg

dpzhjnZ.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The impetus of Tamriel Rebuilt originated largely from a desire to see the entire breadth of the land (re)created in the Morrowind game engine, rather than having it be limited just to one section of the province of Morrowind (the island of Vvardenfell). The enormous scale of the undertaking led to some initial faltering and consolidation, with Tamriel Rebuilt itself now focusing exclusively on completing Morrowind, and progress has been slow over the years decades, but even a few years ago it was already possible to explore the bulk of mainland Morrowind, even if only the exteriors.

Moreover, there is a valuable gameplay function in generating new territory for those long-time Morrowind players who have already traversed nearly every nook and cranny of Vvardenfell. Although new quests could simply be added into the existing gameworld, that would deprive the player of the joys from experiencing the new and varied environments as well as the new and varied cities, not to mention the fun the developers have in creating them. Morrowind's main quest is extraneous to the new lands and can even be ignored entirely in favor of a different sort of playthrough.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can just improve Vvardenfell environments. They're bare and many aren't functional or have any use in the game. There are mods that reshape terrain to make it more visually interesting, providing something like a Gothitication of them, but nearly not as much as was ever needed. There are like 70 tombs alone. There is original art which shows how Vivec was supposed to look like - an anthouse with houses everywhere on top of each other. That city is ripe for proper redesign.
If main events do not wrap together with all side events it's not a coherent game anymore. This is all pointless gigantism for the sake of it. Feel free to larp it isn't of course and run around bare, but beautiful landscapes, a-la fields of Skyrim.

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
You can just improve Vvardenfell environments. They're bare and many aren't functional or have any use in the game. There are mods that reshape terrain to make it more visually interesting, providing something like a Gothitication of them, but nearly not as much as was ever needed. There are like 70 tombs alone. There is original art which shows how Vivec was supposed to look like - an anthouse with houses everywhere on top of each other. That city is ripe for proper redesign.
If main events do not wrap together with all side events it's not a coherent game anymore. This is all pointless gigantism for the sake of it. Feel free to larp it isn't of course and run around bare, but beautiful landscapes, a-la fields of Skyrim.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth

Deleted member 7219

Rebirth changes things for the sake of it and it also changes balance etc.
Here is for example a simple but effective rework of one of the less memorable parts of the map https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49047
This is the general way of thinking I could buy.

Yeah, I hate mods like Rebirth. The world design of Vvardenfell was good as it was. Don't mess with it.

I'm always interested in texture mods that keep the aesthetic but make it more high-def, though.

Funposter

Arcane
Rebirth changes things for the sake of it and it also changes balance etc.
Here is for example a simple but effective rework of one of the less memorable parts of the map https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49047
This is the general way of thinking I could buy.
well good news because OAAB is an ongoing project which has completed redesigns for Tel Mora, Vos and Tel Vos so far

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think modder overuses micro loot and all the prettythingies, which is common with modders. Blue beetle gauntlets are funny but game already has tons of lot and the less trash there is the better. Judging this by the work on tombs which have a niche, a chest, a scroll, litter every centimeter of them.
That's the only big issue for me though.

Funposter

Arcane
I think modder overuses micro loot and all the prettythingies, which is common with modders. Blue beetle gauntlets are funny but game already has tons of lot and the less trash there is the better. Judging this by the work on tombs which have a niche, a chest, a scroll, litter every centimeter of them.
That's the only big issue for me though.
Yeah the Bug/Beetle armour is the biggest question mark with OAAB for me. From a gameplay perspective it doesn't seem to have any sort of niche and contributes to loot overload. It also doesn't have much use as a worldbuilding tool either, since, well...there's already a chitinous armour made of insect shells. It's called Chitin.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
but, done well, I love variety for the sake of itself

as a bonemold/native armor purist, more variety to larp out npcs and pc is a worthwhile effort!

Funposter

Arcane
but, done well, I love variety for the sake of itself

as a bonemold/native armor purist, more variety to larp out npcs and pc is a worthwhile effort!
I don't mind sidegrade type stuff, but the vanilla armour progression is so fucked up that I'd be more concerned about seeing that fixed (and am working on a version of that MWSE auto-balancer to do so)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I always wished Chitin would be a bit higher tier, since armigers and even dunmer "knights" seem to walk around in it. And it would make Ashlanders look a bit stronger.
A way to enhance low and mid armor with (duh) Armorer or same armor having different quality levels would be neat for LARP.

zool

Arcane
Why, for example, not create such a cool quest line for Caldera mage guild? A city which is pretty empty of content in original Morrowind.

Thankfully, because this is Morrowind, modders have fixed it of course.

Carelessly Crazy Caldera Community by Team Suran Suran (incl. Gavrilo93): gives the equivalent of the LGNPC treatment to Caldera (which doesn't have its own LGNPC module): adds a new shop, 2 new NPCs, 17 new quests, and adds unique background, personality and dialogue to most of the NPCs of the town.

[...]

Magical Missions by Von Django: this mod adds five new quests for members of the Mages Guild given by Master Wizard Folms Mirel in Caldera. New quests include delivering a coded message, solving a murder, investigating a heist, bartering with the Telvanni and retrieving a tome of dark power for the Master Wizard of Caldera.

Caldera Mages Guild Expanded by Lucevar: this mod is a lore-friendly and balanced expansion of the Caldera Mages Guild, with some quests and new NPCs. Features include four new NPCs with some custom dialogue, one new social-based quest suitable for low level characters, a library with books you can borrow depending on your rank in the Mages Guild and no overpowered loot.

Note: These two mods are compatible with each other as well as with the aforementioned Carelessly Crazy Caldera Community mod.

There are also mods which add Fighters Guild and Thieves Guild guildhalls in Caldera if I'm not mistaken but I don't care for them.

Funposter

Arcane
I always wished Chitin would be a bit higher tier, since armigers and even dunmer "knights" seem to walk around in it. And it would make Ashlanders look a bit stronger.
A way to enhance low and mid armor with (duh) Armorer or same armor having different quality levels would be neat for LARP.
The problem with rebalancing Chitin is that it's so common that any buff to it makes it an unreasonably powerful early-game option. Maybe you could change its place in random levelled lists, but then you also need to remove it from stores or make it more expensive, and remove it from several low level NPCs that are wearing entire sets. There's also the internal logic of the world at play - Chitin has 10AR, and Bonemold pieces range from 15-18, meaning you have very little room to play with. As for buffing armour using the Armorer skill, I'd imagine that it would be pretty easy to do using MWSE. Just let the player over-repair armour once they hit a certain threshold (say 25) and then allow the player to over-repair to a maximum of 150% or so. Make it easy to do using normal armour but have it require raw material (glass, ebony) for the high tier stuff.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just find chitin, bonemold & even steel a bit too cool to have such a small window in the game. I think more ppl should wear netch with funky helmets and maybe mail or something. That's why I thought maybe different quality for various armor could be used to make these cool armors matter. Steel, after all, is very varied when it comes to quality when made by one armorsmith or another.
So is chitin I take it, as Indoril armor is some laminated bug stuff with gold and chain.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I usually keep steel the whole game if i'm heavy armor just for the aesthetic. It's not like you need the extra armor, and if you really suck you can get it in other ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom