Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://thaumaturgethegame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/the_thaumaturge?as=1649904300

New game (codenamed Project Vitriol, yes it's an RPG) will be published by 11 bit studios:

Project Vitriol (Fool’s Theory)

11 bit studios is beyond thrilled to be teaming up with Poland-based Fool’s Theory for their latest project, code-named “Vitriol.” The studio behind the artfully created stealth title, Seven: The Days Long Gone, is developing a game best described as a meaningful RPG.

“We are truly happy to align with 11 bit studios,” said Fool’s Theory CEO Jakub Rokosz. “They’re known for their ability to find the unique spirit in a game and I believe our upcoming title fits impeccably with the type of projects they like to work on.”

More details "coming in 2020 and beyond": https://steamcommunity.com/groups/11bitstudios/announcements/detail/1721994678825420430

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Seven was great, I am glad to see the studio continue. Hopefully 11bit backing will provide better marketing so their next game doesn't flop.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A bit from the publisher's investor conference. The wait will be longer than expected and the game will be bigger than expected.

• A "huge" RPG based on a new IP. They think this will be bigger than Frostpunk in terms of budget and content.
  • Targeted for mature gamers.
  • To be announced in the second half of 2021.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Playing Seven right now, really like the writing... Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Metacritic bonus? Pffft. We do Steam reviews.

The second one, however, will not be paid until seven months after the market release of Vitriol, a game developed by Fool’s Theory and published by 11 bit studios S.A. The second payment tranche will be in the range of PLN 1.57 – 3.67m. Its final amount will depend on revenue from the sale of Vitriol and user ratings posted on Steam Reviews within six months of its release.

Vitrol is quite a big game. Fool's Theory has about 60 employees and 11bit is investing more than PLN 17m into the project.

Fool’s Theory is based in Bielsko-Biała. Operating since 2018, the firm currently employs some 60 people. In the past, the studio was involved in the production of such games as Baldurs Gate and, more recently, Outriders. It also successfully brought to the market its own well-received production called Seven. The collaboration between 11 bit studios S.A. and Fool’s Theory goes back over two years. As mentioned earlier, the listed company is the publisher of Vitriol (working title), being developed by Fool’s Theory. So far, the parties have only revealed that Vitriol will be a game of the RPG genre with a production budget surpassing that of Frostpunk, which cost about PLN 10m (excluding marketing costs). “To get a full picture of our investment in the Fool’s Theory talented team, it should be noted that – in addition to purchasing a part of Fool’s Theory shares – 11 bit studios S.A. is also investing more than PLN 17m in the production of Vitriol as the game’s publisher,” concludes Przemysław Marszał.

Bah

Arcane
surprised nobody mentioned this
https://www.foolstheory.com/
click the little arrows until you see baldur's gate 3(???)
click the 'learn more'
leads to the page about Vitriol??

Maybe this is implying that Project Vitriol is some kind of full-game mod to BG3? Very odd.

The typo in that page doesn't inspire confidence in their abilities.

We are happy to announce our RPG project based on new IP. Tha game will be targeted at mature recipients. The project code name is Vitriol.

The game will be the largest project we have carried out so far.

Harthwain

Magister
Blair Witch RGP?
I still have nightmares from that game's tank control scheme and ever-changing camera. It was able to genuinely scare me though, so here is that.

On that note: SIGNALIS gives me the same vibes Blair Witch Project did. Hopefully it stops being vapourware and will have much better controls. A word of warning though - you have to be able to stomach how anime-y the art direction is.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reveal in summer:

Discover first details about the game in a word from the CEO / Project Lead at Fool’s Theory, Jakub Rokosz:
Our game is a deep, morally ambiguous narrative-driven RPG. But let me unveil a bit of the real essence to come. The game is about the esoteric side of reality, that dark part of the world that most of us don't see and are not aware of its existence, but the darkness - it is there, lurking behind every corner. It watches us closely from the shadows, and whether we know it or not - takes its toll, making sure we’re going to have a debt to pay. And to give you a sense of verity, the story begins in a place and time where reality, folklore, energy and mysticism met together in a melting pot: early XX century Warsaw, under imperial Russian tsardom. Global reveal of the project Vitriol is coming this summer!

Zariusz

Arbiter
Reveal in summer:
Discover first details about the game in a word from the CEO / Project Lead at Fool’s Theory, Jakub Rokosz:
Our game is a deep, morally ambiguous narrative-driven RPG. But let me unveil a bit of the real essence to come. The game is about the esoteric side of reality, that dark part of the world that most of us don't see and are not aware of its existence, but the darkness - it is there, lurking behind every corner. It watches us closely from the shadows, and whether we know it or not - takes its toll, making sure we’re going to have a debt to pay. And to give you a sense of verity, the story begins in a place and time where reality, folklore, energy and mysticism met together in a melting pot: early XX century Warsaw, under imperial Russian tsardom. Global reveal of the project Vitriol is coming this summer!
Disco Elysium is a gift that keeps on giving, for the better or for the worse.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nah, don't be silly. First Witcher certainly had much lower budget then 20m €, which is A LOT in Eastern Europe. Less so in Poland, but still

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Just FYI, rent in Balkans is around 200€. For decently sized apartment, in Capital. Well cooked meal in restaurant costs 4-7€ and good programmer has 1200-1500€ salary. Best ones around 2000€. And we're talking about programmers that could squat on top of any Western ones.

West is just too expensive. People here live good lives with 600€+ salaries

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Harthwain

Magister
Narrative-driven games were a thing long before Disco Elysium so I wouldn't attribute this to Disco Elysium specifically.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well, you should. Because someone needs to be massive 10T bagger to clear the way for others to walk on. Unfortunately, that's how business works

Before Disco Elysium narrative driven isometric games weren't a hot thing for at least 2 decades

Zariusz

Arbiter
Narrative-driven games were a thing long before Disco Elysium so I wouldn't attribute this to Disco Elysium specifically.
Yes but after Disco i started to notice that the term "narrative rpg" or "narrative-heavy rpg " started to appear in description of many games inspired by Harry's misadventures.
There was even this package some time ago
1qio322tcjm81.png

Though Encased and CoM have combat so this can feel somewhat stretched.

IGN site for VTM Swansong has this in description and it also has no combat and was inspired by Disco Elysium
"Vampire: The Masquerade -- Swansong aims to define a new genre: the narrative RPG, with play inspired by the rules of the gothic horror tabletop RPG."

And the latest Sawyer creation also is described this way
https://gamingbolt.com/pentiment-is-a-new-narrative-rpg-by-obsidian-due-out-in-november

Its nothing solid but i feel like this will be used as a genre name for Disco clones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom