Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Weeb

Edward Doyle

Novice
Alt because weebness is a shame. Started mid 2019 but rebooted billion times. Got someone excited enough along the way so this thread is to shame us into progress consistency.

Edit:

Maybe it's better to use youtubte for small clips after all.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
ur too fucking dumb to embed a direct link, u aint finishing shit, not even this atrocity

Edward Doyle

Novice
ur too fucking dumb to embed a direct link, u aint finishing shit, not even this atrocity

Wanted to embed a video but the Codex didn't display it properly so I replaced it with a gif. Anyway, this is how any gif/video gets embedded here from Imgur, see for yourself.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy

Fucking xenforo ruining my reputation!

Dear {audience},

I made a mistake and I should have owned up to it sooner. I never should have {committed transgression}. Moreover, {my/my representatives'} initial statement after the incident was fundamentally untrue. Therefore, I also apologize for this self-serving response that further victimized {target}.

I can't take back what I did, nor how I responded. I can only assure you that this is not who I am. This is not how I will treat people going forward.

Sincerely,

{Name}

Last edited:

bionicman

Liturgist
The pixel art looks good. Reminds me a bit of Earthbound, though I myself seldom play jrpgs.

I do have a few gripes with it. Even to my untrained eye (I'm no artist) that floor tile sticks out as not being seamless enough. I can see the pattern from a mile away. Also, it looks a bit ugly the way you've organized those same-looking objects (e.g. lampposts facing each other directly like as if it's a mirror reflection). Even though they're tiles, you're meant to add a bit of chaos here and there, at least misplace them a bit. The trees and lamp posts are maybe not tall enough?

Can't really comment on the gameplay though, not much is seen from the video aside from the traced pathfinding of the ninja guy.

In general, I wouldn't be interested in the finished product, but not because it's a bad concept, just not my kind of a game. Don't let that (or others) discourage you from creative endeavors though.

Edward Doyle

Novice
The pixel art looks good. Reminds me a bit of Earthbound, though I myself seldom play jrpgs.

I do have a few gripes with it. Even to my untrained eye (I'm no artist) that floor tile sticks out as not being seamless enough. I can see the pattern from a mile away. Also, it looks a bit ugly the way you've organized those same-looking objects (e.g. lampposts facing each other directly like as if it's a mirror reflection). Even though they're tiles, you're meant to add a bit of chaos here and there, at least misplace them a bit. The trees and lamp posts are maybe not tall enough?

Can't really comment on the gameplay though, not much is seen from the video aside from the traced pathfinding of the ninja guy.

In general, I wouldn't be interested in the finished product, but not because it's a bad concept, just not my kind of a game. Don't let that (or others) discourage you from creative endeavors though.

Thanks for your comment!
While character art is original, the background art is part of an asset package, which for now is being used to develop the standard interactions. Deciding the details of the art direction and making original assets will come at a later stage. For now, we are working through the combat and updating the animations until we have something that we are happy with.

bionicman

Liturgist
Smart. I also do indie game developing myself and love that approach of using placeholders for most of the development of a game.

There is nothing more satisfying than coding a game completely with only placeholder graphics and no sound, and then adding the SFX, music, and graphics afterwards.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looks interesting, what are you building this on? Also details? That GIF isn't much to go by.

I also recognize the asset pack. Fair warning, lots of people will assume this is a RPG Maker game because that asset pack is designed for RPGM in mind.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Am I the only one who can't see the images? I can't see them embedded in the forum and I can't bring them up on Imgur by clicking on them.

Kruno

Edward Doyle

Novice
Looks interesting, what are you building this on? Also details? That GIF isn't much to go by.

I also recognize the asset pack. Fair warning, lots of people will assume this is a RPG Maker game because that asset pack is designed for RPGM in mind.

We are building it on Unity, I think it has a good amount of documentation for 2D games and it will also allow us to build tools for the type of game we want to make.

Details? In a perfect world the gameplay loop would be something like VTMB, but we are adding our own spin on it and of course it will be on a much smaller scale. Development is still very early so a lot of stuff could change mid-development so at lest that's what we are aiming for.

The asset pack will be used for feature implementations which could take a lot time. If we ever get close to marketing, we will get our own background artist and see what style we come up with.

Edward Doyle

Novice
Am I the only one who can't see the images? I can't see them embedded in the forum and I can't bring them up on Imgur by clicking on them.

Kruno

I have updated the original post with a YouTube link and will continue using it further. I will uploading more clips soon.

Edward Doyle

Novice
Very simple implementation of some features:

Factions, not sure yet how far will we go but in here, someone on an aggressive standing passing by friendly NPCs:

initial implementation of NPC tasks, could evolve to task schedule:

Obligatory action indie screenshake, maybe a bit excessive but will be tuned later:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom