Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prometheus Wept - turn-based RPG from Vigilantes developer - Demo Available

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I will list all problems I found in this demo, hope this will help you:

- Walking seems pretty awkward. There is like a second delay between issuing movement command and character moving, which is mega irritating. It's caused by character rotating towards destination. Using combat grid cursor as an out of combat movement cursor makes this feel even more awkward, the cursor is bigger than characters.
- No hp bar out of combat makes checking if you need to heal yourself a pain. You also should be able to use healing items from inventory when you are out of combat.
- You need to add to options an option to disable dialogue typing effect. It's mega irritating.
- Mouse camera scrolling is disabled by default? WTF?
- Walking range orange line is difficult to see in the cyberspace
- After capturing turret in cyberspace it is not eliminated from combat queue wasting time on camera movement during enemy turn
- Icons "reload, switch attack, overwatch" should have a reversed order. You will use reload a lot, so it being more on the right means you will be able to access it quicker. The fact that end turn button is on the opposite side of screen is also a problem, it forces me to do w hole screen of an unnecessary mouse movement.

Appreciate the feedback, Jedi Master Radek - I've coped all this down. For the next update, I'll set camera scrolling by default (I disabled it for development, makes moving between monitors a PITA), and set the default walking range indicator to dot, which is far more readable. I'll look at the others later (the walking in particular needs attention), when I don't have any events (like Kickstarter) coming up, and can take the hit to stability.

Music in main menu also fixed.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Su8vTgs.png

Groovy.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've run into some problems.

First, this is a demo. It shouldn't be challenging. I should just be able to go in and screw around see how stuff works without worrying about losing.

The first time, my guy got knocked out in a fight. He ends up unconscious and zooming around the map outside of combat. I couldn't figure out how to heal him.

My second time around there was some bug when I was trying to allocate points to my skills. It took away my points but didn't add to the skill I was trying to increase.

One of my guys went into the same tile as my other guy. I need some personal space, bro.

My party got wiped and nothing happened, it just hanged.

In conclusion: I loved Vigilantes. I know what you're doing. I have full confidence in you to pull it off. But I worry that someone who doesn't know you and plays this demo is going to get caught up on all the stuff that doesn't work and think it's another indie project that's going nowhere.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I've run into some problems.

First, this is a demo. It shouldn't be challenging. I should just be able to go in and screw around see how stuff works without worrying about losing.

The first time, my guy got knocked out in a fight. He ends up unconscious and zooming around the map outside of combat. I couldn't figure out how to heal him.

My second time around there was some bug when I was trying to allocate points to my skills. It took away my points but didn't add to the skill I was trying to increase.

One of my guys went into the same tile as my other guy. I need some personal space, bro.

My party got wiped and nothing happened, it just hanged.

In conclusion: I loved Vigilantes. I know what you're doing. I have full confidence in you to pull it off. But I worry that someone who doesn't know you and plays this demo is going to get caught up on all the stuff that doesn't work and think it's another indie project that's going nowhere.

Hey Nutria - thanks for the feedback. I'll fix up those 2 issues (KO and shared tile). You make a good point around difficulty level - will tone it down a bit.

The issue with the skills - do you have any idea on how to replicate it?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hey again. I've fixed most of the reported bugs, but having trouble recreating two of them.

1) If a party member if KO'd during combat, but you win combat with the other character, they downed character doesn't get up when combat ends -> I've been unable to recreate this one, so far. For me, the character just gets up.

2) If the entire party is KO, the game becomes unresponsive -> it works okay for me, you can bring up the menu and load in a previous save.

Can anyone provide more detail so I can recreate? Going to check if the character's sharing a tile might have caused it.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
1) If a party member if KO'd during combat, but you win combat with the other character, they downed character doesn't get up when combat ends -> I've been unable to recreate this one, so far. For me, the character just gets up.
This happened for me in fight against lady with wolves. Main character went down, I could still move him after combat, but he stayed prone.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The issue with the skills - do you have any idea on how to replicate it?

No idea. I was just hitting the arrow to increase resilience iirc and noticed that it wasn't going up, but it was still using my points. Assuming that the system is like in Vigilantes, I can't think of a reason why that would happen.

I'll try to do some more testing today if I have the time and pay more attention to the details of what's going on. You're about the last person left on this planet who actually is trying to make a decent game, so as a human that's the least I can do.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
This happened for me in fight against lady with wolves. Main character went down, I could still move him after combat, but he stayed prone.

No luck so far, unfortunately.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
No idea. I was just hitting the arrow to increase resilience iirc and noticed that it wasn't going up, but it was still using my points. Assuming that the system is like in Vigilantes, I can't think of a reason why that would happen.

I'll try to do some more testing today if I have the time and pay more attention to the details of what's going on. You're about the last person left on this planet who actually is trying to make a decent game, so as a human that's the least I can do.

Thanks, man. I've managed to recreate the skill issue, so fixing it should be easy enough. Still struggling with the character remaining prone after being combat ends. If it happens for anyone, it would be useful to know how the character died and the log file might provide a clue. Logging is off by default, but can be enabled in menu -> game options.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Audio volume is very high. Might want to reduce it.

Minor issue: Outside of combat I'm getting the "No path to target" message sometimes even when there is an obvious path and my guy actually takes it. Even if it's just a few tiles away. This is happening in the SE corner of the first map. My companion was separated from me, so I'm 99% sure it's the companion who couldn't find a path.

I wasn't clear enough about one of my earlier complaints: I said it "hangs" when your party gets wiped. Wrong word. I just meant that you don't get a game over message or anything.

I'll try again later but to be honest, I'm motivated to help but not... you know... actually good at playing these kinds of games.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I've fixed the volume issues, and now if the party is wiped, the load screen appears. Enemies in the demo have less HP. I'll release an update soon.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
An updated demo has been uploaded. It fixes a number of bugs and slightly decreases the difficulty - if anyone has the time, I'd be curious to know if knocked out party members are still not getting up after combat. I've been unable to recreate the problem after dozens of attempts.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
on V3:

I go into options during combat. When I try to confirm my choices, they all revert. Seemed like it was working fine in the main menu.

That's all I could find.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hey Nutria - thanks for trying it out. I'll have a look at that.

I ended up having to update the engine version to deal with an error, and fixed another few issues in a fresh round of testing. Hopefully it's stable enough for Kickstarter now.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hey again. Updated demos for Windows, Mac and Linux are now available. The update fixes a number of bugs, provides better guidance on what to do through a quest window, and adds a couple of usability improvements, such as health bars on the character's portraits in real time mode.

I'm waiting for some advice on the Kickstarter, but it's going to start soon. Pre launch page is here, if you're interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom