Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prometheus Wept - turn-based RPG from Vigilantes developer - Demo Available

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Acrux

Arcane
Is the writing in this as good as Vigilantes? You had some of the best writing I've ever seen in a video game.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Is the writing in this as good as Vigilantes? You had some of the best writing I've ever seen in a video game.

Thanks Acrux I think the writing will be pretty similar between both games. I intend to spend a lot of time on it, with multiple drafts, and a focus on style.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...t-a-post-digital-turn-based-rpg/posts/3346771

Developer Playthrough of Demo Part 1: System Infiltration

Hi,

Thank you for your continued support. I hope you had a nice weekend and Halloween!

A supporter suggested making a playthrough of the demo, to show more of the gameplay to those who may not have enough time to check out the demo. In this playthrough, I went for the System Infiltration part of the demo. Here, you encounter a strange entity in an underground lab. To gain entry to the lab, you must enter the computer system, and take control of turrets and doors, while, in the physical world your ally (a sociopath con man with the ability to manipulate people's minds) holds off a group of bandits. Easy, right? :)

I hope you enjoy the video, and do let me know if there's anything you'd like me to cover in future updates!

All the best,

Daithi

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Just my take on this showcase. It's not very exciting.
I already backed it, but I'm not sure if that demo would do the game right by attracting new backers who don't know anything about it yet.

The concept of engaging battles both in the real world and in cyberspace sounds great.
So perhaps it's a case of early implementation but demonstrated cyberspace encounter looks both cheesy and boring.

Huge empty area in "cyber"-acidic colors, with 2/3 of the time spent there just for moving across empty space.
And the action is not much different from that in reality - the same positional shoot-out with fishing for a lucky crit.

To not leave my critique hollow, some stuff that would make cyber-battles more interesting for me:
  • much smaller and compact areas
  • toned down colors (ok, this is too subjective, but I just can't stand that rip-my-eyes-out cyan and red and green palette)
  • more puzzle-like encounters, because it's cyberspace!
To expand on the last bit a little.
What I mean is that instead of getting to cover and shooting at stationary towers,
it would be more interesting if the outcome of cyber-encounters depended more on player's skill to read patterns (the enemies are AI's and scripts, right?)
and juggle abilities to create decoys, blocks, and attacks, while avoiding detection/purge, or something like that.

shamroxor

Novice
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
..It's a lot harder than expected.
It’s been a while but there was always a last day surge with Kickstarters from people interested in the project finally biting the bullet and pledging before the deadline.
I think as long as it was 2/3 funded the rest would happen in the last hours. It’s all a gamble but put on a brave face and keep posting the reminder updates!

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hi Nortar - thanks for your feedback. Cyberspace nodes will also be able to spawn minions, so I'll look into giving them abilities and behaviours which you can counter with scripts and tactics. I'll also avoid making each dual battle a hold out scenario with defenses.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
toned down colors (ok, this is too subjective, but I just can't stand that rip-my-eyes-out cyan and red and green palette)

I couldn't agree more.

This one feature could make me not buy the game, too much light/fog/weather effects is a pain but the cyberspace is next level, 10% of your customers are going to turn blind at least.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It's the post processing that's increasing the brightness/saturation. I'm getting better results from an older post processing version, but I can't modify it on the fly. I'll take another look at it.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It’s been a while but there was always a last day surge with Kickstarters from people interested in the project finally biting the bullet and pledging before the deadline.
I think as long as it was 2/3 funded the rest would happen in the last hours. It’s all a gamble but put on a brave face and keep posting the reminder updates!

Hi shamroxor - there are a fair few people following the campaign. I didn't get a huge last day surge from Vigilantes, but I'll hope for the best and keep at it :)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did my part!

It's a bit weird that only now thanks to this thread I took note of the KS.
One thing you should DEFINITELY do is to post an update on Vigilantes on Steam, telling about the launched Kickstarter.

I get A LOT of news directly from updates/news of games that I own on Steam.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I did my part!

One thing you should DEFINITELY do is to post an update on Vigilantes on Steam, telling about the launched Kickstarter.

Cheers thesheeep - Steam have become highly restrictive on posting updates on their platform. I've had posts from Vigilantes promoting Prometheus Wept on STEAM get deleted. You can do a cross promote post, but hardly anyone sees them.

EDIT: Send me a PM if you've seen any other devs doing this, just curious!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did my part!

Cheers thesheeep - Steam have become highly restrictive on posting updates on their platform. I've had posts from Vigilantes promoting Prometheus Wept on STEAM get deleted. You can do a cross promote post, but hardly anyone sees them.

EDIT: Send me a PM if you've seen any other devs doing this, just curious!
Eh? Definitely seen the Trese brothers do this every now and then, a shout out to their cyber knights game in the middle of a star traders update

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crossroads Inn even has their board game crowdfunding campaign in Steam updates.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Eh? Definitely seen the Trese brothers do this every now and then, a shout out to their cyber knights game in the middle of a star traders update

You can get away with mentioning another game on Steam in an update, but probably not making a update type post solely about it. Mentioning a Kickstarter is different, but I'd be interested to see instances of it happening.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's really odd.

Why would Steam not allow developers to promote their other games, especially when they are very much related (like by genre, as in this case)?
I guess they want to avoid spam, so I'd understand why they don't want your KS updates to be on there all the time - but just an initial news update for a KS going live?

Hmm.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Yeah, spam is likely part of the issue - I'd guess another part is that some developers have received a lot of publicity from Steam and then went Epic exclusive. They were pretty relaxed about it when I ran the Vigilantes greenlight / kickstarter in tandem, but the situation is changing.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, spam is likely part of the issue - I'd guess another part is that some developers have received a lot of publicity from Steam and then went Epic exclusive. They were pretty relaxed about it when I ran the Vigilantes greenlight / kickstarter in tandem, but the situation is changing.

Maybe you could reach out to Lost Eidolons devs? ODS Pat
They streamed some tactical games, like Last Spell, Othercide and Darkest Dungeon 2.
And as they had their own kickstarter no so long ago, perhaps you can make a cross-reference update with them?

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Bit of an uptick on the campaign, pushed it back up into better visibility again. Hopefully it lasts!

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
59% funded now. By the way, outside of Kickstarter itself and the external unsorted traffic, RPG Codex has the most pledges, so cheers!

I'm doing a little development work today, working on the encounter where you meet Ferdia Beckett, your first ally. The player character has passed a sneak check and has closed in on the nearest enemy and starts combat with a sneak attack. If the player prefers firearms, they can use a tactics check to withdraw to the far side of the river, as most of these enemies are wielding melee weapons and getting through the water will slow them down.

Beckett's a sociopathic con man, masquerading (rather poorly) as a priest. He also has the ability to manipulate the thought processes of organic beings with a collection of unique abilities.

KwDVpKM.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom