Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prometheus Wept - turn-based RPG from Vigilantes developer - Demo Available

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Prometheus Wept is a turn based RPG set in a near-future Earth, where our digital technology has been disabled by a devastating cyber-attack. The game offers squad-level combat, simultaneous battles between cyberspace and the physical world, meaningful choices, deep character progression and an advanced crafting system.

An updated demo is now available as part of the Steam Next Festival. You can check out the demo, or the gameplay broadcast on the Steam Page.

7qqWAOu.png

hbfaGvz.jpg

8BHxiFY.jpg

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Will there be character creation or a fixed protagonist like in Vigilantes?

Any major changes in stats and skills from the previous game?
I see that some of those have been renamed and split into different skills; at least Bypassing seems to be split into Tactics and Lockpicking.
ss_a651124236e0ae65eb52a946a4b6f8f3f4aebf33.600x338.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really enjoyed Vigilantes, so I look forward to this.

More of the same with added depth sounds great.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Updated OP.

Timeslip I think your new development blog might be bugged. I try to access the full announcement post by clicking "Read More" but it sends me to this broken link instead: http://timeslipsoftworks.com/Deadstone/About

Yep, I need to fix that. The plan was to announce tomorrow alongside the latest sale for Vigilantes, and have a bit more time to prepare, but when I scheduled the Vigilantes sale with Steam, it said the sale was rejected and set it up anyway. The launching one day early thing is becoming a recurring theme...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, here's the full content of the update retrieved via RSS:

Prometheus Wept Announced!
Since the release of Vigilantes, I’ve been hard at work on a third game and have made sufficient progress to create a Steam page and share more information. The new game is Prometheus Wept, a turn and party based RPG in a post technology world. While a considerable amount of work remains before a demo will be available, periodic development logs will soon commence to provide you with more info on various aspects of the game. I hope you’ll stick around and join me on the journey.

Illustration-ScreenshotJPGWeb-1024x576.jpg

Pssst… this isn’t the protagonist.

Check out the Steam Page!

The Setting
On a near future earth in which digital technology has become more entrenched in our lives and we, even more dependent on technology, everything changes forever when an unstoppable computer virus renders virtually all our technology inoperable in mere hours. Automated transit, agriculture, manufacturing and utility systems all cease to function. Mass communication is disrupted. Even the smart kettle connected to your home network stops working.

In the ensuing chaos, society tears itself apart. Resource shortage, fear, the loss of technology and infrastructure result in widespread death and violence. Governments fall. Nations fragment into insular communities and city states.

The action of Prometheus Wept takes place several generations after the catastrophe, in a world where civilization, knowledge and technical understand have greatly receded from the high watermark of the now mythical mid 21stcentury. You, the player, assume the role of a wandering C-Tec, or classical technologist, an individual who carries a spark of the old flame of knowledge, technology and civilization. Surviving among the splintered remnants of humanity, you search for and attempt to restore the technological relics of humanity’s mythical golden age.

If you’d like to see some early screenshots and a provisional outline of the features, you can find these on the Steam Page.

The above video shows a flythrough of The Drag, one of the first locations you will visit in Prometheus Wept. It’s an isolated fishing community and a satellite community of Sunny Pines, the primary location in Act 1.

Any way I can help?
As soon as there is a demo, your help with feedback and improving game stability would be greatly appreciated. Until then, it would be a huge help if you added Prometheus Wept to your wishlist on Steam and tell your friends about the game.

How can I stay up to date with development?
Development updates will take the form of blog posts and likely development videos. To be notified of updates, you can sign up to the Steam Community Hub, the newsletter, or follow Prometheus Wept on Indie DB.

Until the next time! Stay safe.

Daithi

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer

I see that some of those have been renamed and split into different skills; at least Bypassing seems to be split into Tactics and Lockpicking.

I should preface this by saying it's very early, so much may change by the time the game is released.

The intention is to have a choice of several character models to choose from, which you can name. Visual customisation, if any, is unlikely to go beyond skin tone, but some equippable items, such as armour and helmets will change on the 3d models to reflect the character's loadout.

A couple of things on the character system:
  • Skill checks will be far more deeply integrated into gameplay and have significant consequences
  • Evasion will reduce the chance of being hit, resilience will reduce damage
  • Computer science will be used to restore corrupted technology
  • The plan with resolve is to have it generate resolve points per turn, which will be used for powerful abilities
  • Higher crafting skills will allow you to create better versions of the same item

Jinn

Arcane
Sounds great and love the name. Will be supporting this as soon as it's available. I will say I hope you're able to match the aesthetics of that promotional artwork in game a little more than is being shown currently. It's got a really nice atmosphere to it and I like the color palette being used.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
I will say I hope you're able to match the aesthetics of that promotional artwork in game a little more than is being shown currently. It's got a really nice atmosphere to it and I like the color palette being used.

Hey Jinn. Do you mean in terms of quality or style? The in-game stuff is fairly provisional, while the illustration is effectively final. While the in game visuals will look better than they do now, I'd expect the illustrations to be the visual highlight of the game. Sarayu did an incredible job with the first one. Overall, production value will be better than Vigilantes (music especially if all goes to plan), but gameplay and story will get the lion's share of the resources.

Jinn

Arcane
Do you mean in terms of quality or style?

I guess both, really. There's a certain artificial "flatness" to the assets used in game, where as the art has a more "textured", detailed, deep, natural and rich look to it. I figured they were provisional, but was hoping you'd be able to allocate a bit of your resources to trying to match the aesthetic of that artwork, not only for my selfish enjoyment, but for the potential improved success of the project. I know this is hardly a simple thing to achieve, but just wanted to express my hope in a shift in aesthetic away from Vigilantes.

And also a different style for character portraits would be a welcome change as well! Either way, I know gameplay and writing understandably come first - as they should - but just wanted to throw my two cents in on the visual side of things. As always, well wishes to you, friend!

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Do you mean in terms of quality or style?

I guess both, really. There's a certain artificial "flatness" to the assets used in game, where as the art has a more "textured", detailed, deep, natural and rich look to it. I figured they were provisional, but was hoping you'd be able to allocate a bit of your resources to trying to match the aesthetic of that artwork, not only for my selfish enjoyment, but for the potential improved success of the project. I know this is hardly a simple thing to achieve, but just wanted to express my hope in a shift in aesthetic away from Vigilantes.

And also a different style for character portraits would be a welcome change as well! Either way, I know gameplay and writing understandably come first - as they should - but just wanted to throw my two cents in on the visual side of things. As always, well wishes to you, friend!

I completely get where you are coming from. It's likely that visual quality is one of the biggest determining factors in sales, important in terms of player experience, though perhaps less so in review sentiment. I'll do my best with it. Just in case you are interested in the sort of decision making at play here, the current portraits are taken directly from the modelling software with some nice lighting applied. Having an artist rework every portrait in the game will likely cost in the region of 3-6 weeks development time. Though, as the game becomes more complex and feature rich, there will be a diminishing return from development time (less highly beneficial work to do, and more complicated to do it). The portraits are something I'll be keeping in mind, see how things go around early access.

Likewise, hope all's going well!

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I liked the Vigilantes portraits.
Glad to hear more effort will be put into the story this time, the combat was pretty good but the story was definitely lacking. Wishlisting this.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ss_a651124236e0ae65eb52a946a4b6f8f3f4aebf33.600x338.jpg
You can tell that guy never asked for this.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Can't be a barbarian in this game can we?

The plan at the minute is to have one or two unique sets of perks per character. The player character's unique perks will have a focus on technology, but you can choose not to buy these, and pick perks from the general pool instead. One of the allies is a bit of a barbarian though :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey hey:

http://timeslipsoftworks.com/prometheus-wept-dev-log-1/

Prometheus Wept Log 1: Moving On From Vigilantes Part I

Welcome to the first development log for Prometheus Wept, a turn based RPG set on a near future earth in which virtually all computerised technology has been rendered inoperable by a virus, casting mankind into a new dark age.

Prometheus Wept uses the code from Vigilantes, the studio’s second game, as a starting point, a base camp from which to reach for greater altitude. This development log covers around half of the key areas Prometheus Wept aims to improve on its predecessor. While most of these have been realised to some degree and all are feasible, it’s too early to guarantee everything outlined will be included in the game or exactly as envisioned.

Prometheus Wept has a Steam Page with some early visuals here, and if you’ve never heard of Vigilantes, you can find out more about it here.

A Brief Summary
Prometheus Wept will move from the combat focused gameplay of Vigilantes towards a traditional RPG, with improved gameplay variety and overall depth. There will be significant consequences for player choices, more emphasis on plot, character and game world development. There will be less combat, but battles will be more varied and the combat system will be more feature rich.

Less Emphasis on Combat
One of the main criticisms of Vigilantes is an over-reliance on combat. Vigilantes has a game loop similar to Xcom: fight → return to base/sell loot/upgrade → fight. I was aware of the potential downsides of this emphasis on combat during development, and a lot of time was spent adding variation to the game loop through crafting, base facilities, different mission types, pre-combat dialogue with skill checks, interrogation and surveillance. These additions worked for the majority of players, as Vigilantes currently has 82% positive reviews on Steam, but de-emphasizing combat will create a stronger, more varied base to build on.

Prometheus Wept will depart from Vigilantes’ potentially infinite number of generated battles, to a smaller number of hand crafted encounters. Less emphasis on combat will make room for greater gameplay variety and player choice will replace combat as the key mechanism for driving the story and gameplay. Further, the shift away from generated battles will allow for the creation of more varied and interesting combat challenges.

Strong Consequences For Player Choices
Player choice in Vigilantes didn’t extend far beyond pre-combat skill checks, and whether to kill or incapacitate enemies, which determined the ending. Vigilantes is a combat focused tactical game, but even in many RPGs, there’s a tendency for main quests to be a series of checkpoints, with only token effects on later gameplay and plot.

The aim with Prometheus Wept is to build more connective tissue than is typical in RPGs, between player choice, gameplay and plot development. The main quests in each act of Prometheus Wept build towards a finale. The intention is that the majority of main quests will provide the player with choices which can tip the scales in their favour (or against) in the finale, and that the resolution of the finale will affect the level of support the faction you sided with provides in the following act.

More Emphasis on Plot, Character Development and World-Building.
The play area in Vigilantes is divided into gang-held city tiles, which could be attacked at any point in the game. However, since pre-combat dialogue was linked to a specific map and gang, there was no way to know when or if the player would hit the required combination. This lead to an abandonment of a strongly interconnected plot for a number of self contained encounters.

Prometheus Wept will move away from this open-ended gameplay to a branching narrative which is more suited to developing a deeper plot, character and world.

Deeper Combat
If you were dismayed by the phrase “less emphasis on combat” – don’t be concerned! One significant benefit of Vigilantes’ focus on combat is that there’s a fairly feature rich combat system in place, which will be further developed for Prometheus Wept. So, while you’ll spend a lower percentage of playtime fighting, the combat will have deeper mechanics and be more varied. The below list of improvements is far from exhaustive. To date, the first two points have been implemented:
  • Destructible Cover: this will introduce an additional tactical layer in choosing cover and destroying the enemy’s. Explosives will be very good at this.
  • Interactions between fire, water, and electricity: water extinguishes fire, but increases the damage taken from electrical attacks. Deeper water will also slow movement, which can be exploited when facing melee enemies.
  • Environment weapons: Vigilantes had the good ol’ staples of gas cans and oil barrels. The intention is to greatly increase the number of environment weapons and to increase the complexity interactions with them. For example, throwing an explosive into a fire could result in an added incendiary effect, or water containers could be destroyed to put out fires, slow enemies, or make them more vulnerable to electrical attacks.
Prometheus Wept is still relatively early in development, so please share your thoughts and feedback on the design. If you have any questions, fire away, and I’ll get back to you!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Timeslip How frequent will these updates be? You made a ton for them Vigilantes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom