Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prometheus Wept - turn-based RPG from Vigilantes developer - Demo Available

Modron

Arcane
What takes so much time when you have game systems in place and a lot of assets can be reused?
Content generation is the longest and most laborious part of game development isn't it? Ron Gilbert went ahead and said even with the engine they created for Thimbleweed Park another game using it wouldn't really be any cheaper to make because of that.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
What takes so much time when you have game systems in place and a lot of assets can be reused?

In terms of game systems, the game's in a good enough place. Some new environment assets will need to be worked in for each act, and new maps will needed. A more complex map, with several buildings, could take a week. A simple map could be wrapped up in 2-3 days. There will be new factions in each act, so character models will need to be added. I spent an absolute age manually adding clothes into the software I'm using for character models, so it's not very time expensive to make models. Maybe 1 hour for something simple, 4 hours for something more complex.

The dialogue encounters are time expensive. First design -> bullet point -> multiple drafts, for the writing. Scripting the encounters and debugging them is where most of the time goes, though. I'm using a really good third party plugin for managing the dialogue in game, but regardless of how good it is, every time a character, prop, camera or any aspect of the game world is moved, rotated, enabled, that needs to happen through scripting. So far, I've written about 170 code functions to handle all the actions, but they are activated with a scripting language which lacks some of the error checking and conveniences of c#. It's easier to make mistakes here, and each possible choice the player can makes needs to be tested. On simpler encounters, it might be possible to debug it in a handful of passes. In more complex ones... well... you might be looking at 20+ passes to test all the possibilities and fix any bugs that are found.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Content generation is the longest and most laborious part of game development isn't it? Ron Gilbert went ahead and said even with the engine they created for Thimbleweed Park another game using it wouldn't really be any cheaper to make because of that.
Yeah, it's super time consuming. I knew making an RPG would take longer than a combat focused game like Vigilantes, but didn't anticipate how big the difference would be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This dev log for turn based RPG, Prometheus Wept covers the completion of the militia pre-finale mission, which provides options to recruit more militia, and improve their equipment through trade and crafting. You can also attempt to interrupt a rebel arms deal on a newly created map.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Here's text part of that update.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1208110/view/3980686873611947746
Prometheus Wept Dev Log Jan 24!
TLDR: The militia pre-finale is complete, and includes an optional combat mission which takes place on a new map.
Hello, and welcome to the January dev log for Prometheus Wept. I've wrapped up the militia pre-finale, where you will prime Sunny Pine's militia for confrontation with the rebels. This includes improving the militia's equipment through trade and crafting, recruiting new members, improving morale.

7cdea8264dfb5af80967b1b805ffa474ed074dc4.jpg

In the militia pre-finale, you must decide how to best allocate your faction's cash and time.

You can also attempt to convince the mayor to print extra currency to be used in the war effort, or follow up on intel received about a rebels arms deal, in an optional combat-focused encounter. Doing so will briefly bring you in contact with one of the main factions of act 2. Each faction has preferences for the weapons they use, so there is an opportunity to get your hands on some new items here.

ab059d4707dc4d145106488ada90963178fb7327.jpg

Attack, approach, sneak or observe. The choice is yours.

This encounter required a new map, which has been completed and is the final map for act 1. There are a number of options for handling the encounter, such as observing the group, approaching them, or attacking. If you approach them, you will discover that their goal is to deliver a crate of merchandise to you, which raises further questions on what exactly is going on.

c375a7577a7630234e9aec2466335369f2bed09c.jpg

Up Next: Militia Finale & Minor encounters

Moving on to what's coming next. The focus for the next number of weeks will be two-fold. Firstly, I'll be working on the series of combat focused encounters which make up the militia finale. It's a fairly big piece of work, likely in the ballpark of 6 weeks. Second, I'm going to start addressing what I see as Prometheus Wept's biggest current weakness, namely, a lack of things to do outside the main questline. The goal here isn't to add large side-quests, but rather to focus on getting a decent number of smaller encounters, which breathes life into the world, and develops the characters.

That's it for now, thank you for watching. I'll check back in next month, and if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear from you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom