Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prospector

http://www.prospector.at/forum/

Chasing infos on Approaching Infinity I found mention of this which I've had stashed somewhere in my memory for years. A decade maybe. Longer. Who knows.

The cycle is pretty simple: explore some tiles, die, reload, explore some more, keep dying. It seems not much strategy is involved, even if the crew is made by different members with different roles and ships are made of different systems.
It's pretty puzzling in its difficulty as a roguelike, given the lack of dungeon levels, you could turn the corner and be oneshot by a pirate you couldn't avoid, as if gazing eyes right behind a door in a level 1 dungeon in angband wasn't already retarded enough.
I'm not sure I'll play this for long, maybe it won't last more than a couple days, but if there is much more to discover, mechanically speaking, other than walking around collecting elements in a very very ugly tileset it might turn decent.

PrettyDeadman

Is it better than Approaching Infinity? I found the latter very dull at leas tin the beginning.

I wouldn't know, haven't tried AI. The gameplay revolves around wandering randomly looking for a colored spot which is supposed to be a star, scan planets looking for those with fewest mountains, walking over their entirety in the hope there are no hostiles, go back to the ship sometimes if needed, take off and repeat.
sometimes there are one of a kind special encounters but that's it. On foot combat is completely abstract, space combat is a bit less but much more annoying. Probably the game gest a bit more bearable with better sensors and more weapons, but meanwhile it's just walking and hoping to not be killed. There isn't any survival aspect other than coming back to the ship once in a while. Damn, even basic 40 years old angband had food and water.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom