Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PS: T Available on GoG

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Elwro said:
I also have the 4 CD release :smug:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stabwound said:
Mighty Mouse said:
Haha! Paying for games moar than 10 years old! HAHA!
Not to mention giving the money to people that had nothing to do with making the game.
Isnt it:
1)u pay GOG
2)GOG pays license guy
3)license guy pays some publisher
4)publisher pays developer

timing difference

1)u pay potato at market
2)market guy pay distributor before u bought potato
3)distributor pay farm before u bought potato
4)farm pay potato picker before u bought potato

timing difference, potato-picker may be paid before you went to market. yous can use non-perishables to understand better. When someone sells the rights to a buyer, buyer expects to gain future income, hence the seller is paid in advance. If buyer knows no future income is probable, they no buy, seller get less money, but developer already paid from own pocket, but affect gaming industry in teh end. Next time don't make game.
Assuming perfect knowledge and no accruals.

Or mail $ to every person in the credits list.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
KalosKagathos said:
The original 4CD release of Torment is available on my shelf, unbound to any digital distribution service, and will remain there until the discs themselves start to rot. Bet GOG users wish they could claim so themselves. :smug:
^^^^
THIS

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Is this version compatable with the high-res patch - or does it come with high-res installed?

Dezzy said:
How is the combat?
Shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Isnt it:
1)u pay GOG
2)GOG pays license guy
3)license guy pays some publisher
4)publisher pays developer

Well, no, especially if the developers disbanded and I doubt they are entitled to royalties.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
FeelTheRads said:
Well, no, especially if the developers disbanded and I doubt they are entitled to royalties.

They do not.

Most of the money from these sales is likely going to Hasbro. Don't know exactly how Hasbro and Atari split it, but Hasbro is in its good rights to squeeze Atari.

That said, publishers pay developers for these rights in perpetuity. The system could certainly use some tweaks, but it's not like they're robbing anyone here. Publishers invest their own capital into games, i.e. developers, expecting a return on that investment. Whether or not that investment is returned on immediately (developers often don't see money for that either until the game hits certain benchmarks, and even then) or over the long haul is not a relevant issue. The issue is someone has to pay developers, and that money has to come from somewhere. Getting bogged down on the order in which this happens is idiotic.

This isn't complex economics here, it reminds me of the whole "no transferring cost means digital games should be free". Please understand that sales are about a return on investment, and that this investment is what pays the developers in the first place. If there is no return, then there will be no investment*

The way astoundingly lacking economic knowledge is bandied around with :smug: ness here on the 'Dex is beyond stupid.

Also

Orwel said:

:smug:

Except that my CDs got scratched up and I lost the box

:x

/sloppy owner

[quote="Codex troll]Hah I don't care about today's popamole shit anyway[/quote]

rly? coz most of the discussion on the Codex seems to be from people who play today's popamole shit games :smug:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Jeez Codex, how butthurt can you be? If you really care about them making money off previously Abandonware titles what the fuck is stopping you from pirating the game if you want to install it again?

I'm sure there are moralfags out there who haven't played it before.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So people here are not glad that PS:T is available to the masses that didn't buy it when it came out or were too young and don't want to torrent stuff? I don't get it. Who gives a fuck if it is available to buy in Poland. Poland is only good for bit tit models as far as I can tell. For those of us that don't live in a third world Eastern European shithole, $9.99 to play what is considered around here to be one of the best RPGs of all time seems like a pretty good deal. $9.99 just to have them make it downloadable in one file and configure Dosbox sounds good to me. Then I can burn it on to a DVD and can put it on a box on my shelf and tell everyone that I have the DVD version of the game :monocle:

I think the stunt that GOG pulled by taking down their site was stupid and it pissed me off, but I like the service they provide and plan on buying games from them in the future. I have purchased many games from them in the past. If the money just goes to GOG so that they continue to make older games that I like available for download and the developers don't see a cent, I don't care, as long as GOG has the rights to offer these games legally.

Dezzy said:
How is the combat?
Terrible, as already mentioned. Tolerable at best, and it's rarely at its best. Even with my high tolerance for bad combat the encounter design and lack of tactics or options made it often a chore.
Luckily you can avoid a lot of it and it's quests that give most of the experience.
I put myself through nearly all of it though. I even cleared most if not all rooms in the Modron maze :oops:

OT:

Eyeball

Arcane
Combat: Pretty lame, really. If you've played BG, you know what to expect. The controllable characters and monsters are fairly unique and come with a nice variety of skills and abilities though, which sets the combat apart from your bog standard barbarians and orcs-type RPG. Combat's not the most important part of the game though - in fact, I think there are only two or three fights you really NEED to win in order to complete the game, the rest you can happily run past. Most experience in the game is gained by solving quests rather than grinding kills anyway.

Soundtrack: Excellent. The main theme is one of the greater video game main themes in history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8usOiu8StWQ

Voiceacting: Fucking BRILLIANT! More than a decade after first playing it, I still hold PST's voice acting to be just about the finest you could ever hope to find in a video game, featuring among others the guy who voiced Zeus in the Hercules Disney movie, Mitch Pileggi (the bald dude from X-files) as a fantasy zen-monk, Homer from the Simpsons as a wisecracking flying skull and motherFUCKING Tony Jay as the Undead King of Badasses. I still shiver to think of the awesome way a corny line like "I have...awakened!" was delivered, immediately making the character uttering it one of my favourite characters ever.

Storyline: As close to The Brothers Karamazov-quality writing you can get in a videogame. Hackneyed at first (omigod, I can't remember my name) but every step you take makes it increasingly more awesome until climaxing in the finest ending ever devised. Shines in that it allows you to be a PROPERLY evil asshole if you want to and having it actually impact the gameplay rather than just giving you an exttra -5 karma points.

Overall: As stated above, PST is the best video game ever created. Play it now.

Quilty

Magister
The best way to stop GoG from earning any money off of people is to stop promoting them. By not posting about them.

Nobody post ITT any more. :salute:

Zeus

Cipher
Planescape: Torment was abandonware!

:x :x :x

I'm angry because now it's going to be taken down from House of Games, Abandonia, and all my favorite abandonware sites.

Repressed Homosexual
Instant buy even if I own the CD release.

If we keep buying old-school D&D games Hasbro is going to take the license more seriously. Didn't Baldur's Gate sell like 5 million copies? I've read the Bioware guys saying it was their best selling-game ever.

Best way to get more of them is to vote with your money. It's not like it's much of anything really.

Oh, I forgot this was the codex, where most everyone just wants to leech as much free stuff as possible.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Is this version compatable with the high-res patch - or does it come with high-res installed?

It doesn't come with a high-res patch applied as far as I can tell. Not sure if you can add that after the fact but I might look into it. If I find anything I'll post it here.

I just bought it this morning and installed it on my Win7 64-bit laptop. It ran without a hitch and didn't require any annoying config tweaks. Plus, I don't have to worry about toting discs around with me on business trips so it's especially convenient.

Money well spent.

Tails

Arbiter
So this version has fixed the problem with displaying graphics on modern PC's?

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd care if I didn't get that European DVD rerelease last year.

Zeus said:
Planescape: Torment was abandonware!

:x :x :x

I'm angry because now it's going to be taken down from House of Games, Abandonia, and all my favorite abandonware sites.

Dude, like I just said, it got another printing last year in europe. You can't get it new anymore though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The Vanished One said:
Terrible, as already mentioned. Tolerable at best, and it's rarely at its best.
Meh, PST combat is overbashed. It isn't good, don't get me wrong, but it's not "shit" or "terrible" or "OMG UNPLAYABLE". "Tolerable" is probably the best description. It's pretty much a nonissue though because there are about half a dozen unavoidable encounters, and I think the only area where you have to fight to move forward is in the Catacombs (which incidentally is probably the shittiest area). That's about 2 or 3% of the game all in all.

Tails

Arbiter
The main problem is still horrible path finding of Infinity engine from those days. It's not uncommon to see PC/NPC stuck one on other because of it.

relootz

Scholar
Planescape Torment is so good, who cares about a trivial issue like the combat being bad.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Tails said:
So this version has fixed the problem with displaying graphics on modern PC's?
By default the graphics are low res and stretched. It looks pretty ugly on a 1920x1200 screen. I did consult a mod guide that a forum user at GOG.com posted, and it made a big difference.

Here's the link: http://af.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/mod_guide/page1?as=1649904300

Installing the game via GOG's download takes care of steps 1 through 2. After that I installed the widescreen and Ghostdog mods at 1920x1200 (120%). Looks decent now. Not sure if I'm going to grab all the other user patches and whatnot, but at least my eyes don't hurt. About the only complaint I have is that the characters are a little on the small side now, but at least everything is crisp and colorful instead of dithered.

Deleted Member 10432

Dezzy said:
I've never played this game before, but I love a good unique story. How is the combat?
:declineofthedecline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom