Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PS: T Available on GoG

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
spekkio said:
GoGUser said:
Finally... GOG, this is a wonderful day. Thank you so much for making this classic availlable again.
PST was not available? :?
Also: 9:99? You can have better and less wordy game from their catalogue for this price...

:smug:
It's worth 50 you goddamn cuntbucket.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Elwro said:
I also have the 4 CD release :smug:

I got the poster on one of my walls :smug:

Brother None said:
The way astoundingly lacking economic knowledge is bandied around with :smug: ness here on the 'Dex is beyond stupid.

You do not understand the outrage: they sell free content! The publishers do not count because they are greedy jews and the devs do not exist anymore. It's bad enough that old games are getting a second life and allowed to reaffirm their strong popularity, but Poles are making money out of it!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I got the poster on one of my walls :smug:

I have the poster in the box, nicely preserved. :smug: :smug:

Also, GOG is not only selling that free "book", they're also selling Planescape artwork, which is has no direct connection to the game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gragt said:
You do not understand the outrage: they sell free content! The publishers do not count because they are greedy jews and the devs do not exist anymore. It's bad enough that old games are getting a second life and allowed to reaffirm their strong popularity, but Poles are making money out of it!

I know right? I was at the Van Gogh museum not to long ago, went into the giftshop, picked up a few posters and walked out. Bitch at the teller was all "sir, you have to pay for those" and I was all "You greedy Jewish whore, it's not like van Gogh gets any money from these sales" :smug:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Hell it's not like Van Gogh himself made much from sales. Do you see him trying to peddle his wares today?

Silellak

Cipher
Brother None said:
Gragt said:

I know right? I was at the Van Gogh museum not to long ago, went into the giftshop, picked up a few posters and walked out. Bitch at the teller was all "sir, you have to pay for those" and I was all "You greedy Jewish whore, it's not like van Gogh gets any money from these sales" :smug:
yeeeah.png

Tycn

Savant
Getting these games more publicity can only be a good thing, regardless of who gets the money.

Antihero

Liturgist
bossjimbob said:
Tails said:
So this version has fixed the problem with displaying graphics on modern PC's?
By default the graphics are low res and stretched. It looks pretty ugly on a 1920x1200 screen. I did consult a mod guide that a forum user at GOG.com posted, and it made a big difference.

Here's the link: http://af.gog.com/en/forum/planescape_torment/mod_guide/page1?as=1649904300
I think he might have meant the DirectDraw issues, which I don't think GOG fixed any more than using the available workarounds from what I gathered on their forums earlier.

They might have done something like that fix where you use the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit to force DDraw emulation, but it still leaves you with a mouse cursor trail when you're in menus (including dialogue IIRC), but I forget if that's just an ATI issue. There are other workarounds too, mentioned on the SHS site - like I guess that D3DWindower program or a smaller game cursor. Unnecessary disclaimer: I don't have the GOG version.

A user named cat

I sold my 4 disc version on eBay for over $70, people will pay out the ass for a box and manual. I bought it new off Amazon for around $15 years back. PROFIT

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Funny thing. I got PST from a gaming magazine two months ago. I paid 4$ for the magazine and it included 2 other games.

Brother None said:
This isn't complex economics here, it reminds me of the whole "no transferring cost means digital games should be free". Please understand that sales are about a return on investment, and that this investment is what pays the developers in the first place. If there is no return, then there will be no investment*
Does it mean that now that PST is available for buying, they will invest in making another Planescape: Torment?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
DramaticPopcorn said:
http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=48963
Anyone that are somewhat into RPGs and have been it for a while, will have the game already.
But still, always good to have a digital copy without copy protection.
:thumbsup:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Does it mean that now that PST is available for buying, they will invest in making another Planescape: Torment?

Hardly, but it does show publishers value of quality games that sells over a long period of time. Bloodlines had poor sales at starts but it like old Fallouts still sells. So while it wont trigger a revolution in gaming industry to make only quality products that dont cater to consoletards it will allow some publishers more open mind in financing more "riskier" (read not as much dumb down) games.

hanssolo

Educated
Brother None said:

I'd much rather torrent that shit. :smug:

Arcanoix

Scholar
You guys removed the animated head of CA listening on headphones that linked to YouTube video of PS:T theme? Methinks Codex knew PS:T was on it's way to GOG.... :D

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So people here are not glad that PS:T is available to the masse...

STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!

CHRIST!

People can have ambivalence feelings you KNOW!

YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKERS!

Take your Black and white dildo and shove it!

Tails

Arbiter
Antihero said:
but it still leaves you with a mouse cursor trail when you're in menus (including dialogue IIRC), but I forget if that's just an ATI issue
sadly, this happens on NVIDIA cards also.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
markec said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Hardly, but it does show publishers value of quality games that sells over a long period of time. Bloodlines had poor sales at starts but it like old Fallouts still sells. So while it wont trigger a revolution in gaming industry to make only quality products that dont cater to consoletards it will allow some publishers more open mind in financing more "riskier" (read not as much dumb down) games.
When dumb down games sell 10x much more in several weeks than 10 year old games sell in 10 years?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Awor Szurkrarz said:
When dumb down games sell 10x much more in several weeks than 10 year old games sell in 10 years?

You are talking about AAA games, but we are talking about games with low to medium budget. It is a possibility that even major publishers would finance quality games that will cater to smaller audience with hope of longer sales and word of mouth advertising.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Maybe they'll also start doing games with VGA resolution, because apparently some of them are sold on GoG?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Maybe they'll also start doing games with VGA resolution, because apparently some of them are sold on GoG?

Although AAA earn lots of money they also cost a lot of money, for a AAA game to break even it needs to sell several million copies while low/medium budget game needs 10-20% of that number. Also not all AAA games sell so well as Starcraft 2 of Call of Duty, many of them barely break even and dont sell so good after several months since release. So investing in a several smaller games and smaller studios can be a good business strategy.

Take for example movie Easy Rider which with small budget become a hit and a classic. Inspired by that Universal Studios financed several young directors to create semi independent low budget films and gave them free hands in production, it resulted with films like American Graffiti and Silent Running. Today every major production house owns several smaller studios to produce small films.

Compared to movie industry gaming industry is still young so there is a chance that they too will "see the light" , but honestly I dont believe it will happen soon, unless the gaming industry finally collapses.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I mean that you can make a fairly successful movie without using super-duper special effects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom