Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment PS:T crash/question re: Finam the Linguist

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey.

So, I've recently re-installed PS:T following this mod guide: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

and it's been pretty damn impressive so far, except one thing: I'm crashing every time I try to enter Finam the Linguist's house. Here are the things I've tried:

1) Reforming my party to no end.
2) Everything mentioned in this post: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/37824-please-report-crashes-here/page__view__findpost__p__457842
3) I tried reverting the CDALL code in the ini file back to reading from the CDs instead.
4) Uninstall/Delete/Reinstalled twice.

So before I continue playing I want to know...since it's been 5 years since I did a complete play-through...is this game-breaking? I know what happens there. He gives you the ability to read the dodecahedron but I can't remember if this is completely necessary to continue through the game or not. If not, fuck it. If so, does anybody have any ideas or work-arounds?

Thanks dudes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Come on you fucking cretins. I thought you were all supposed to be :obviously:...

...nobody knows if Finam's encounter is necessary????

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whoops never mind, you tried that already.

No, it isn't necessary.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This could be related to the latest widescreen mod, or just some random crap with the area file.
You could try this : Uninstall the UI and widescreen mod, enter the house if you can, do your stuff, exit , save (outside the house, this is important!) , reinstall the mods (at the same resolution of course) and continue.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
This could be related to the latest widescreen mod, or just some random crap with the area file.
You could try this : Uninstall the UI and widescreen mod, enter the house if you can, do your stuff, exit , save (outside the house, this is important!) , reinstall the mods (at the same resolution of course) and continue.

That didn't work. :(

Also, I think Finam's place IS essential and game-breaking if I can not get in since I believe I need to be able to interpret the language of the dodecahedron in order to get the line at the advocate's which starts the receipt bit. Without the receipt I don't think I can get to Ravel. Goddammit.

This is an error window which popped up when trying to enter Finam's place after the game crashed:

""An Assertion failed in C:\Torment\Source\baldur\CVisibility.cpp at line number 1528"

Ideas?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yes, entering the linguist's house is required in order to reach ravel. Have you contacted scient in the SHS forums about this ?

Last resort : Use this savegame editor, get one of the quest items required and see if you can make the game to proceed as planned.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
I mean...I posted about it there a week ago and no response. Thing about the editor though...what I feel like I'd need is some sort of edited code which tells the game I've learned the language or read the dodecahedron. I don't think there's actually an "item" I need at this point, right?

EDIT: Oh, fuck! I could get the receipt, right?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
how about getting the portal key from the foundry ?

That's what I meant...I don't see it in that list. Besides, it's not the key (rag with blood) I need, it's the "unfolding portal" which, btw, neither of them are on that list. Also: Who made that list? Why include the note from Giltspur and not the receipt? Come on, man.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Ok. I haven't tried the manual one, I was using the one with the graphical interface. Will give it a shot when I get home.

boger

Novice
Patron
Codex 2012
another idea, upload your latest save and someone will try in his/her PS:T. I could try my 4 CD version.

scient

Augur
There seems to be another WS related bug tangential to the one I've already fixed (had other reports). If you'd be willing to set up some kind of remote or screensharing software, I could walk you through on like skype or gchat or do it myself remotely (if you're ok with that) how to debug the game to track down code location thats crashing. Maybe then I could add it to my existing WS crash patcher.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Hey, guys...that's really helpful of you! Let me try with this current re-install and see what I end up with. I had one last idea about something here. I'll let you know where I'm at later and PM either of you if I'm stuck again. Thanks!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Give your savegame to someone to try it. After the avatar enters the house, the position can be saved and then you can proceed.

Edit: shit, boger had the same idea.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
another idea, upload your latest save and someone will try in his/her PS:T. I could try my 4 CD version.

Sent you a message.

Bonusfun: So none of the savegame editors work. The manual one crashes the second it opens, the second on the list doesn't have the goddamned unfolding portal and the bottom one fucking crashes the game whenever I try to edit my inventory. I want to kill and destroy so many things right now, jesus fucking christ.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
If nothing works start over. I'm sure cheats will allow you to speed your way back to this point.

scient

Augur
This is an error window which popped up when trying to enter Finam's place after the game crashed:

""An Assertion failed in C:\Torment\Source\baldur\CVisibility.cpp at line number 1528"

Ideas?

Actually, I missed this. This isn't related to a bug in WS mod exactly. However, it makes me think you switched resolutions sometimes between saves and/or they weren't updated properly with new feature of WS mod. I've already posted details how to bypass this crash, these patch bytes are somewhere on SHS just too lazy to find post. But if you do apply it to your exe, it will load the area. Whether there are any problems because you've bypassed the bounds check, that I don't know. At least it means you will be able to get access to area.

5. bypass area bounds check on loading to prevent crash (widescreen saved games) -> may cause unstable behavior
search: 10 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 76
replace: 00 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 EB

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Actually, I missed this. This isn't related to a bug in WS mod exactly. However, it makes me think you switched resolutions sometimes between saves and/or they weren't updated properly with new feature of WS mod. I've already posted details how to bypass this crash, these patch bytes are somewhere on SHS just too lazy to find post. But if you do apply it to your exe, it will load the area. Whether there are any problems because you've bypassed the bounds check, that I don't know. At least it means you will be able to get access to area.

5. bypass area bounds check on loading to prevent crash (widescreen saved games) -> may cause unstable behavior
search: 10 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 76
replace: 00 8B 45 0C C1 E0 03 8B 4D EC 83 C1 07 3B C1 EB

Ok. Can you explain this as if you're speaking to a retarded child? Because I'm not quite sure what any of that means or what you intend for me to do. I mean, I can intuit somewhat...but I'd rather not spend the rest of the evening flailing around like an asshole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom