Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PS4 price in Brazil

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But that's still nothing compared to the rise, sans taxes even.
Well, only playboys will buy it at launch, and they will buy it anyway, so they changed tactics; instead of subsiding $60 for each BR console, they are apparently doing the opposite and making profit on top of consoles here. It kind of makes sense, if you can't count on BR console gamers buying original & new games to give you money on the long run, then just take that profit NAU!

Also consider, console launches are usually horrible and stocks always end everywhere... a PS4 sold to a BR that doesn't buy games is one less PS4 to a kwa kid that buys 8 FPS per month.

Delterius

Arcane
But that was my argument all along. The richest justify the launch prices while the middle class' logic doesn't drive it further down than it will end up being for years. Even the Xbox price is ridiculous at 2,200; Its much cheaper to dare the customs office to tax you, no matter what.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I get what you're saying, but I believe the order of events is different; it's not due the richest that they are launching it at this price, but due the subsidy; the richest only guarantee that it's launched at all. If Brazil didn't have consumers willing to buy it at 4k, Sony just wouldn't launch it here.

And you can bet, that shit will be sold out. Not because of massive sales, but because of minimal amount of consoles shipped to terra brasilis. Saying your console is sold out in Brazil is way cooler than saying you never released it here due lack of interest.

Delterius

Arcane
Then again, the Xbox One pricing (applied to the PS4) can still more than pay the subsidy and the taxes.

Its like some higher up in Sony still had cravings to fuck up a launch and repeat the PS3 debacle. So the rest of the board decided to contain his evil to a single country.

Who'd have thought that after E3 Microsoft would seemingly have more of a business sense than Sony? Reminds me of something a wise man once said 'Este país não pode dar certo. Aqui prostituta goza, cafetão tem ciúme, traficante se vicia, o Xbox One é mais barato que o PS4, pobre é de direita e rico é de esquerda'. Brasil really is an oddball.

Hmm. Here in Russia official PS4 pricing would be 17990RUR, this is apporox. ~560USD. Official pricing for XBONE isn't announced yet for some reason, but most believe that it would be ~685USD.
Given that average salary in 2013 in Russia is ~899$ [src](and it's statistical average, many poorer regions have much smaller salaries, etc), and this and this (I don't know if it's accurate though) I find your Brazilian prices kinda baffling.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
An economist says that Sony expects to compensate the subsidy in the US by profiting in South America. By his calculations the PS4, with all taxes and logistic expenses should cost R$ 1700,00, so R$ 2.300,00 of the 4.000,00 they are asking for are pure profit. They can do that because they know that the rich playboys will buy it anyway...

Interesting enough the BR Kotaku actually advices people NOT TO BUY A PS4, that it's absurd what Sony is doing, that economists already examined the price and no amount of taxes explains it, only greed.

Also, data on other SA countries price:

tabela-ps4.jpg
tabela_xbox.jpg

Curse you, Chile!

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2zSDRrj.gif

I wonder how much money did you need to buy PS3 in Brazil during the premiere. I would buy some extra pimped PC and had some spare change here in Poland. They are shooting in their own foot. The price will go down eventually, the question is how much it will be reduced.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, the official price of the PS3 here still is R$ 1.000,00... so, 500 USD, while it's being sold for 199 USD in firstworldia; 2.5x the price can be explained by our insane taxes, but 5x like the PS4 is just absurd.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I only laugh. Where are the retards that say that a console is cheaper than a PC? Less consoletards would be an improvement. Even, Sony knows that.:lol:

Micmu

Magister
Next-next-gen prices for next-next-gen idiots. Now add insane prices of "games" to that...
I'd rather EAT that cash in coins than give it to $ony (or micro$hit).

Delterius

Arcane
Don't forget the brazilian market is closed as FUCK on pretty much any industrialized product, because our rulers are still with their head on 17th century Mercantilism and 20th Keynesian Substitution of Importations bullshit. Free market? Lol, go elsewhere.

Such policies of national affirmation aren't necessarily the issue. Issue is a lack of flexibility on part of any government, there's no such thing as one format working for everything in the economy.

In other words, the issue is when the government is made up of analphabets.

Melcar

Arcane
In Mexicoland the xbone is set to be around $650ish USD. The ps4 around $700 USD in some places. For that money you can buy a used car from the dealer down the street (comes with a bag of cocaine), or have a week's worth of fucking some quality hookers.

Melcar

Arcane
You realize that the exchange rate says nothing about purchasing power?

The majority of Mexicans are pretty well off to be honest. I mean, if you can afford to buy a couple of big screens and remodel your front porch all in a year... And I'm not even talking about credit either. Indios don't count though. Those poor fuckers are dirt poor most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom