Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PS4 price in Brazil

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
And here I was worried that PL was getting gouged with the price being 1799 PLN ($590.05). Damn, that's a crazy price that Brazil has :O

Delterius

Arcane
I lol'd. But on the subject of nationality and online trolling, what I think curious is that most trolls I met actually pretended to be russian/polish/br/etc. I personally liked to troll on Dota by pretending to be south korean.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I hope the brazilians who play online and pay the 4000 R$ fora PS4 become the worst huehue trolling online players.

This thinking of "Rich people are known to have good manners" is such a nonsense...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And Sony reveals their calculations for the P$4K price in Brazil:

impostos_kotakubr.jpg

According to them, it's the PS4 price (R$858) + R$2.524 in taxes + R$ 875 in distribution and retailers profit, that would amount to R$ 4.257 reais, but Sony are such bros that they give us R$ 258 in discounts to reach R$ 3.999.

But economist are already calling it bullshit, since they do lots of nasty stuff in this calculations, like using the US PS4 retail price (that includes US retailer profit and distribution costs), adding their own profit (20%!) before all the taxes, using some tax rates higher than they are (ICMS is 18%, not 25%), leaving the biggest tax in the end of the calculation, giving 16% profit to retailers... not to mention that fucking Microsoft has to follow the same procedures and is selling for half the price.

Anyway, this weekend will have the Brasil Game Show here in São Paulo and both Sony and Microsoft promised to talk about their BR prices...

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
Sony's new PlayStation 4 won't be on store shelves until next month, but the gaming console has already raised eyebrows in Brazil, after reports that it would cost 3,999 Brazilian real — or about $1,845 at today's exchange rate.

The company says the steep cost isn't a case of price gouging, but instead a sign of Brazil's heavy taxes and fees on imported electronics.

The game system will be released in the United States on Nov. 15 and in countries including Brazil later that month. Large retailers in the U.S. will offer the PS4 at a base price of around $400.

This week, negative public response to the high cost in Brazil led Mark Stanley, Sony general manager for Latin America, for the high price tag in a post on the company's Brazilian PlayStation blog.

Stanely said about the high retail price, "it's not good for our gamers and it's not good for the PlayStation brand," in remarks published by the .

Of the $1,845 price, 63 percent goes toward paying import taxes that are imposed on the PlayStation 4 when it's imported to Brazil, Sony says.

Stanley's blog post included breaking down the costs, listing the "transfer cost" of importing the system as 21.5 percent, or nearly $400. An additional 22 percent represents the margin for Sony and retailers. His numbers totaled 106.5 percent of the final price in Brazil, which is arrived at after assessing a 6.5 percent discount, Stanley says.

Sony says the price of the new PlayStation could come down "significantly" if it's able to shift production of the consoles to Brazil. The system is currently being produced at only one factory, in China, according to Brazil's .

In his blog post, Stanley also thanked Sony customers for sending "thousands of passionate comments."

After the price was on Sony Brazil's blog last week, more than 1,250 people commented on it, with many of them expressing their displeasure.

"There goes my Christmas present," one prospective customer wrote.

Others said that at that price, it could be cheaper simply to fly to the United States, pick up a console, and fly back home with it.

Some also noted that Sony's rivals are able to get gaming consoles on the market at a lower price. Microsoft, for instance, has set a price for its upcoming Xbox One at around 2,200 real — a bit more than $1,000.

But as NPR's Lourdes Garcia-Navarro tells us from Brazil, it's common to see high prices for electronics there. "It's a good indicator of the expense of imported electronic goods here," she says.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...s-why-its-playstation-4-costs-1-845-in-brazil

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what is stopping you from importing the system from the US? Or are the display standards incompatible with your TVs?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why does BRBR tax electronics so highly?
Games are imported with the same taxes as gambling, because

So what is stopping you from importing the system from the US?
Nothing, that what everyone will probably do. Hell, flying to the US, buying a PS4 and derping there for a weekend is cheaper than going to a BR store and buying it.

Delterius

Arcane
So what is stopping you from importing the system from the US?
Nothing, that what everyone will probably do. Hell, flying to the US, buying a PS4 and derping there for a weekend is cheaper than going to a BR store and buying it.

Also, outright importing is one 1d3 away from avoiding taxation altogether.

The Brazilian Slaughter

totally forgot about your response.

Being correct doesn't matter. We've reached the point where whatever issue you bring up can't be discussed at all. Either by sheer incompetence of our elected officials or, which is most likely to be honest, the crystalization of demagogic interests and closed groups within the State. We probably had a better functioning legislative body even back in the Empire, how decadent is that?

I admit I'm rather ignorant, but I wonder whose corporative interests that lower taxation on games could possibly breach. Tec Toy's? Maybe the evangelical bench dislikes gaming more than I ever thought? Certainly not the State's, since lowered individual taxation would be key to boost the comsumption of games and overall taxation.

So I think there's a point to be made about the sheer incompetence of our rulers. Mostly because I rant a lot when I see a Senator who technically proved to be literate.

EDIT: having learned English early causes me to mix the two languages quite a lot, so I apologize for that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
So what is stopping you from importing the system from the US? Or are the display standards incompatible with your TVs?

I've seen this same sort of thing happen in the Midwest after a huge tornado runs through everything. I remember some guy made tens of thousands of dollars selling generators. Strike while the iron is hot. Although, I wonder if Brazilians use Amazon?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Well, I am trying to buy something from Brazil and man, what a pain in the neck it is. Apparently, PayPal has weird things where it won't let BRos use a savings account, I can't do an international bank transfer because it's not in the EU, Western Union is right out since it's only used by two banks and two banks only (yes, I checked the BR version of Western Union :P ), MercadoLivre is odd because you don't know who the seller is until you click on the Comprar button.

Yall need to open up to the international community :D Of course, I noticed that some roadblocks that prevent people from Brazil from being able to participate fully without restrictions in the international marketplace are the high taxes and regulations :/

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
MercadoLivre is the best option. You can see who the seller is, just click on the "more info about this seller" icon.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
MercadoLivre is the best option. You can see who the seller is, just click on the "more info about this seller" icon.

Yeah I went with that but the seller won't use PayPal although he or she has been very cool throughout the whole deal and very patient with this gringo :)

Granted, there's MercadoPago but I wish I could PayPal money into it but that would be too easy :D

deuxhero

Arcane
Amazon only ships books and music here, sadly...

For once that's not because you are BR. Being limited to "Books, CDs, DVDs, and Videos (with some exceptions)" seems to be standard for international orders on Amazon (or at least it is how it is for amazon.jp as well).

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I used to buy Blu-rays and DVDs from amazon, but now, amazon.com applies the taxes already when you make a purchase. Before, you would have to pay the taxes only if you were unlucky and got caught in the sorting process they do when the products arrive here. If they sold video games to BR, it would still be very expensive, though not even near the PS4 "official" price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom