Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Dexter

Arcane
Since the "Leaks" and mentions are piling up and getting ever more specific, I thought I might aswell open a thread regarding this:
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled-2/
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-next-gen-xbox-specs-leak
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

CPUs: 8-Core from AMD, based on x64/x86-Architecture with 1.6-1.8Ghz per Core
GPUs: DirectX 11.1-based from AMD/ATI with 12 (Microsoft) and 18 (Sony) compute units and 800Mhz
RAM : 8GB DDR3 + 32MB SRAM (Microsoft) and 8GB GDDR5 (Sony)
Optical drives: Both come sporting Blu-Ray drives supporting 50GB (maybe even 100GB) disks

The Reveal will either happen at the upcoming GDC (March 2013): http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...tivision_Blizzard_nextgen_rendering_talks.php

Or at the latest during the E3 set for June, where all the new games are also likely to be announced, Microsoft put up a Countdown for: http://majornelson.com/2013/01/02/countdown-to-e3-2013/ and Sony made very specific mentions regarding: http://www.develop-online.net/news/42971/PS4-reveal-could-come-before-E3-teases-Sony-exec

All of the big hyped "AAA" games of the year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_video_gaming fall on Q1+Q2 2013 before June (Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, South Park: The Stick of Truth, God of War: Ascension, Gears of War: Judgment, Metro: Last Light, Star Trek, Remember Me, The Last of Us) aside from a few of the KickStarter PC games. A bunch of new projects for Q3+Q4 2013 and beyond are likely going to be the topic at the next E3.

There was also some rumors regarding new Controllers, for instance that the Xbox comes with an in-built "Kinect" and the PlayStation 4 will have a redesigned controller with a "Touchpad", a little more about that in this article: http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

Also in regards to a new Account system and likely new "Digital Rights Management":
original.jpg

Sony is trying to change the way you think about user accounts with the PS4. As it stands now, and this applies to all current consoles the PS3 (and the Wii U), when you log in, you log in as a single user. With Orbis, Sony is moving the place of "ownership" away from the console, with something it calls "multi-user simultaneous logins."

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

Dexter

Arcane
Some of the articles I linked to are like a day old, and what do console Specs and upcoming vidya games have to do with "Science"?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yeah no shit. But some mod clown decided that anything technical goes into Science! nonetheless.

Either way, those specs make sense. But the question is will console games remain popamole?

Answer: Probably. But at least the PC ports should be a bit better this time around.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
8 GBs in a console releasing this fall or next year ?
I don't see it happen for some reason : historically, those machines have always been pretty low on RAM.

If true, that would be an incredible improvement for games to be PC ported though.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not gonna buy either of them anyway.

I hope the feds don't storm my house for depriving the industry of my precious jewgold.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
About to watch it, just to see the impact on the industry and such, how it might effect the PC. The 8GB of RAM thing might be true, considering it's so cheap now-a-days, but they will probably divide it between video and system and keep a large chunk of it for app switching and shit. I imagine 8GB on PC unified with more VRAM on the GPU, even with Windows' overhead, would still come out better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
8GB memory confirmed... unified, DDR5. HDD is go, not SSD. "Super charged PC GPU and PC processor."

So you'll have a better system as soon as you add more RAM to your current rig, probably.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Thank fuck they didn't cheap out with the RAM, maybe they can finally do away with the idiotic segmented level design that's so prevalent these days.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Thank fuck they didn't cheap out with the RAM, maybe they can finally do away with the idiotic segmented level design that's so prevalent these days.
Look at the CPU and a videocard bro.

Thief 1/2 had bigger levels than any "stealth" piece of shit on cuntsoles and they didn't need 8 gigs of RAM.

So you will have your bigger levels but they will look like ass compared to what PC can do and will be mostly empty because welcome to the shitty CPU.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

This is kind of retarded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pretty much everything they are touting right now has been standard on PC for years. What if you could stream gameplay video? What if you could access the internet mid-game? OMG!

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So far they sound like they're doing everything right, huge improvement over PS3 imo. Not that I give a shit though.

PS, the video streaming and screen sharing is pretty good - simple and accessible, just what consoles need

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
this is a mid range pc, except it's a midrange pc with 8gigs of GDDR 5, which is in orders of magnitude faster than the shitty ddr 3 we have in our rigs.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This is kind of retarded.
This is exactly how Xbox does it.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Look at the CPU and a videocard bro.

Thief 1/2 had bigger levels than any "stealth" piece of shit on cuntsoles and they didn't need 8 gigs of RAM.

So you will have your bigger levels but they will look like ass compared to what PC can do and will be mostly empty because welcome to the shitty CPU.

I don't give a shit about the consoles themselves, I'll never buy one. But multi-platform's the standard these days and with this new generation, PCs being dragged down by console popamole hopefully won't be quite as blatant anymore. Of course, a pretty turd coated in gold is still a turd at the end of the day. I was so disappointed with the new Hitman - if (when) the new Thief suffers the same treatment, it will be a dark day indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom