Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Well, this is quite a development for the little crowdfunding platform run by people with questionable management skills that could.

3.3 Million dollars.

The previous ventures haven't even raised more than $100,000, why would you think this would do any different?

It'll make it comfortably. I won't back it personally, but I'm sure it'll make the money.

edit: $115k already lol

himmy

Arcane
SHUT UP SHUT SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUUUUT UPPPPP

I don't care what any of you are saying or that FIG is a shady as hell or that despite Double Fine's pioneering work in crowdfunding they only had two games which where meh and huh, respectively, none of that matters, because PSYCHONAUTS 2 IS HAPPENING!

SHUUUUT UUUUUUP!!! I don't even care if it will be a completely unworthy successor made by a bunch of people that are only the empty shells of the creative force they once were, in this moment the hope is alive! IT CAN HAPPEN. It probably won't, BUT IT CAN HAPPEN. There is a time and a place for being rational and this is NOT IT!

SHUUUUT UUUUUUUP!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't care what any of you are saying or that FIG is a shady as hell or that despite Double Fine's pioneering work in crowdfunding they only had two games which where meh and huh, respectively, none of that matters, because PSYCHONAUTS 2 IS HAPPENING!

SHUUUUT UUUUUUP!!! I don't even care if it will be a completely unworthy successor made by a bunch of people that are only the empty shells of the creative force they once were, in this moment the hope is alive! IT CAN HAPPEN. It probably won't, BUT IT CAN HAPPEN. There is a time and a place for being rational and this is NOT IT!

SHUUUUT UUUUUUUP!
N09hpvJ.jpg

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Why does Psychonauts 2 take less money than Broken Age?

They must have additional investors. Schafer told Notch that he needed $18M to make it and while I have very little faith in his project management skills, I don't believe that even he thinks it will raise $18M on fig or that they can cut 80% of the budget and still make the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

SHUUUUT UUUUUUUP!
One thing's for sure we know you won't be playing it until you leech it off of the beg thread.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why does Psychonauts 2 take less money than Broken Age?

They must have additional investors. Schafer told Notch that he needed $18M to make it and while I have very little faith in his project management skills, I don't believe that even he thinks it will raise $18M on fig or that they can cut 80% of the budget and still make the game.
Well if Tim estimated $18 million it'll probably balloon to $52 million.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pretty ballsy asking for 3.3 like Broken Age got after going over budget over schedule and dissing felipepepepepepe

In the video he says Double Fine and an investor outside fig are putting more money into the project.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hipsters. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. The original wasn't anything amazing. Sort of a baby's first Metroidvania in 3D. Mark it down now, three years from now we'll be awaiting Psychonauts 2 Part 2.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hipsters. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. The original wasn't anything amazing. Sort of a baby's first Metroidvania in 3D. Mark it down now, three years from now we'll be awaiting Psychonauts 2 Part 2.
3D Metroidvanias are evil, just FYI.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

I quite liked it. Combat density was a little too high in parts (often felt more like an action game than a platformer) but it was good, and hell, I find it hard to be too critical of a game which has some original ideas and actual funny jokes.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Psychonauts is mediocre and DoubleFine makes unfinished shit. Anyone stupid enough to give Tim Schafer their money deserves what they get.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pretty ballsy asking for 3.3 like Broken Age got after going over budget over schedule and dissing felipepepepepepe

In the video he says Double Fine and an investor outside fig are putting more money into the project.

Yup. Fig is just meant to bring 1/3 of the budget, they estimate total cost at 10 mil.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
$300,000 already.

That's not including shadow investors (i.e. unaccredited investors who can't invest in the game yet).

Dexter

Arcane
Even if they manage to fund it, this'll likely be the project that will kill Double Fine. It'll basically be "put up or shut up" and I doubt Schafer still has it in him to do the first.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
$300,000 already.

That's not including shadow investors (i.e. unaccredited investors who can't invest in the game yet).

It doesn't? The breakdown says Investments 113K Pledges 240K
Those are actual investments though by accredited investors.

Unaccredited investors cannot invest at this time (but you can 'reserve' your investment beforehand). They are allotting up to $10,000,000 for unaccredited investors on some kind of 'first come first served' basis whenever they actually get their legal shit worked out.

aratuk

Cipher
I liked the original, so I'm going to back Psychonauts 2 enough to get a copy of the game, and maybe downloads of the documentary. I'm lukewarm on Broken Age, but I'm glad I backed it just for the making-of doc, which was really goddamn good.

If you look at their little returns calculator for potential investors, I think the default average wholesale revenue is way too high, especially when presented in comparison with the sales numbers for the original Psychonauts. I know from observing Humble Bundles and Steam Sales for the past several years that a large number of those latter-day Psychonauts sales were dirt-cheap, less than a dollar per unit. The default average wholesale in their calculator is $21 per unit, which strikes me as maybe possible for the console versions of the game, and the very initial Steam/Humble/GOG release, but after that…

The Figstarter provides a breakdown of sales for the original Psychonauts. About 475,000 of those sales were 2010 and earlier, when the original publisher had the rights and (I think?) there was a lot less discounting going on. Seems to me that era might be appropriate benchmark for the $21 wholesale number. The subsequent 1.2 million sales since Doublefine acquired the rights to the game have largely been extremely discounted, to the extent that it would be probably be more accurate to account for a lot of them as fractional sales.

The breakeven for investors at $21 per unit wholesale is 692,000 copies. I'm curious how many copies the original Psychonauts sold at that high of a wholesale, because it kinda sounds like they're saying they expect the sequel to do better.

If Psychonauts 2 sells the same number of copies as the original, 1.697 million, the breakeven for investors is an average of about $8.57 per unit wholesale. Is that overly optimistic? Maybe they should tell potential investors the average wholesale cost for all of those copies of the original, ever since it has been out for sale. I know that I, and a lot of people, picked up copies of that game for quite a bit less than $8.50.

Last edited:

aratuk

Cipher
The default average wholesale in their calculator is $21 per unit, which strikes me as maybe possible for the console versions of the game, and the very initial Steam/Humble/GOG release, but after that…

One should also account for some fraction of initial sales cannibalized as backer rewards funding

Well, the entry-level backer tier for a copy of the game is $33, for the first 3300 early birds, and $39 after that. Not so much cannibalizing… that's pretty robust. Likely close to the initial retail price for the game, and Fig's processing fees are probably somewhat less than the cut retailers will take. Doublefine will get more per-unit revenue on the presale Fig copies than they would seem to from regular sales after release.

"Get it for $39 now! or later for $45? $49?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom