Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD source code download link

kony

Formely known as Konjad
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This fork seems to be making some progress:

https://github.com/rohit-n/Prelude

Not sure if this is some dexer or just a rando that came across it.
I'm really glad at least this one person works on it, so my constant nagging developers yielded benefits and was not for naught.

Albeit I have expected one or two more people to actively work on it. I hope in the future we'll see more done.

By the way, Fowyr - what about you? I had an impression that you were one most interested in the source code, do you have any plans to pick it up?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way, Fowyr - what about you? I had an impression that you were one most interested in the source code, do you have any plans to pick it up?
Pretty busy with other stuff, but have some plans. Already duly noted all tricks for compiling it.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This is beautiful, not just the potential for community work, but also as an opportunity to study how an RPG engine works under the hood. I just wanted to give thanks to Konjad and the Prelude team for making this happen.

Woronez People's Republic (occupied by Moscow)
Pretty busy with other stuff, but have some plans. Already duly noted all tricks for compiling it.
rohit-n seems to be doing a fine job with porting prelude to directx9.
pretty (if he will do any work on it at all) will probably focus on:
1) Extending things available via configuration (like maximum zoom distance, alternative key mapping, especially for camera controls)
2) Fixing odd behaviours during interactions with gui (mouse getting stuck after right click and etc)
3) Fixing interface scaling for higher resolution (once game will be able to run in higher resolutions without dxwrapper)
He is currently looking for a new place of employment and deals with some life stuff so delivery date is uncertain, even if the goals are quite small in scale.

Last edited:

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I had some free time yesterday, so I applied an old DX to openGL wrapper I wrote somewhere in the last decade on this. I had to do some changes to adapt do DX7 but it seems to work more or less. This one is in 1920x1080:

xwybmR7.png

The main issue here is I only have the game on 1.8 version, and this source seems to be for the 1.5? Anyway, the original with dx7 seems to have some issues also with the files for the 1.8:

OPi8LXm.png

The characters are mostly not pink on the GL version at least. Also I still need to adjust lighting on my version, and see why there are some artifacts like the square under the chars. The 1.8 files also have some compatibility issues (ie. they require some script functions not available in this source code). I also need to fix the arrow over their heads, there is something wrong with the texture transform.

Anyway, anyone knows where I can find the assets/other stuff for the 1.5 version? I can't find those anywhere. I own the game so it wouldn't be piracy. Probably.

I guess I could set it up in github if anyone is interested. This one is compiling in VS 2017. I had to fix some minor bugs and some weird syntax which older MS compilers accepted, but that is part of it. Main menu is working mostly (load game crashes, might take a look into it). Introduction video seems fine.

For those who want to run in Linux, there is still some (maybe a lot) of things to adapt. Game (and a small part of my wrapper) still relies heavily on Win API, so would need to refactor that.

OpenGL calls are mostly unoptimized, several of the stuff could be moved into shaders. I remember there are some buffer copies also which could be avoided if the FPS becomes an issue.

I might work more on this if there is any interest, and if I get enough free time.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
I worked a bit more on this, fixed some of the OpenGL issues:

jEdbTLf.png

Lighting is still a bit off, I will probably need to dig into how old D3D lighting works again. There is something wrong with texture mapping also, which leaves some pink spots on character skins, probably filtering options.

Lack of proper assets is a major problem though, going a bit further into the game I keep running into this:

QblvyDc.png

This is caused by missing script functions, which my game version requires. I guess I could set up some dummy functions, but I doubt the game would be playable without some major reworking of scripts. So, if anyone has the 1.5 assets, it would go a long way to make this playable.

I started porting it into Linux, so I might have some updates soon.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Well, porting it to Linux was easier than I imagined. I got it to run on an Ubuntu box here, and also on my Slackware machine. It has no sound though as the sound library it uses, libbass (https://www.un4seen.com/bass.html) seems unable to find the sound device in my Linux machines. Since this one is closed source it will be a bit hard to debug. The game relies on some crazy undefined win32 behaviour on file endings also, so I had to do some magic to make everything work.

So, anyone wants to give this a try? I could set up a git somewhere.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Anyway, anyone knows where I can find the assets/other stuff for the 1.5 version? I can't find those anywhere. I own the game so it wouldn't be piracy. Probably.

Fowyr you wouldn't happen to have any of the 1.5 files lying around would you? You seem to be the most thorough archivist for Prelude stuff.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

Fowyr you wouldn't happen to have any of the 1.5 files lying around would you? You seem to be the most thorough archivist for Prelude stuff.
I definitely have them, but couldn't access files on that computer now.
Fowyr said:
Version 1.5 have "another meal" option, but still had reputation check.
Patch in Modron's link seems right. I remember installing 1.35 and upgrading it to 1.5 myself.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
I found a link to the 1.41 installer https://web.archive.org/web/2004120...al/temp/306443/PreludeInstall.exe&asid=306443

You can find a 1.50 patch at https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3213/7/

Dunno if that gets you what you need.

Edit: there is a fixed exe for 1.41 at https://gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_prelude_to_darkness.shtml if you need that as well.

All right, this worked. I managed to play the game a bit, fix a few more render issues, it is looking fine.

I created a gitlab here:

https://gitlab.com/ptd3/ptd-1

You can now build your own versions. The game is currently fixed to fullscreen with native desktop resolution. I haven't tried it in 4k yet, so if anyone volunteers I would be curious as how it turns out. Whatever you do, do not tamper with the gui.ini (leave it at non windowed), changing the resolution may cause weird issues. Running at anything other than 1.5 will cause some weird stuff.

Enjoy.

vazha

Prophet
checking this thread to administer well deserved brofists has become my new morning routine :incline:

asfasdf

robot
Patron
I committed a few more things:
  • Lighting is fixed
  • Added a case insensitive search thing for Linux, so no need to fiddle around with filename cases
  • Several fixes for memory issues, game accessed lots of non initialized memory which caused lots of crashes
  • Fixed some issues with texture mapping, scaled stuff now interpolate correctly, and look better
I haven't found any other bug so far, I need to play more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom