Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD Source-Code

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
linux port when
Probably not even necessary.
Older games tend to run vastly better under Wine/Proton than modern Windows anyway.

That said, I'd say it depends on how catastrophic the code is, e.g. if graphical code is mixed wildly with gameplay code, etc.
Good separation of layers makes porting much easier.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there anything truly critical other than the inventory bug? I know how to diagnose it and you know how to reproduce it, so all is right in the world.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there anything truly critical other than the inventory bug? I know how to diagnose it and you know how to reproduce it, so all is right in the world.
Crashes (especially in that labirynth), widescreen support, crappy default camera (and it resets very often), and probably more.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Deadman's fix should get rid of most camera-related crashes, like the ones in the sewers/labyrinth, but it'd be nice to fix as much as possible from the source code.
We could also update the fonts, get an open source serif to replace that cancerous papyrus.
No idea how the adaptation to widescreen it may work from a technical standpoint, but I can make some time to extend and adapt the UI where needed.

Oh, and of course, a 25Gb retexture pack.
:troll:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Breaking news, folks.

I'm in contact with MC and it seems all three of the developers would be alright with releasing the source code for us. It's very possible I'll get the source code for PtD after all, so we can start modifying it.

The problem for all this time was just... finding them and asking!

Fowyr

Awesome news.

Was it CP McBee you got in contact with initially?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally we could see how Nature skill works. It should be implemented somewhere, not only with mayor's wife quest (?), right? :M

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The source code will be useful to have in general. It should be possible (with some work) to port the rendering system to something more modern which would allow higher resolutions and hopefully fix a lot of the instability.

The main issues I foresee:

1. Judging by the issues, the code is likely going to be poor quality spaghetti code.
2. It's likely not going to include any commercial/proprietary middleware they used which would mean these would all to be ported/replaced to get something that can be compiled.
3. Assuming the code can be compiled in the first place, actually fixing the issues is likely going to be a big piece of work in itself.

That said, we've probably got enough expertise around the codex to work something out assuming we get interested parties. I'll be happy to assist also, though my C skills are a little rusty (I'm assuming that's what the game will be written in).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Breaking news, folks.

I'm in contact with CP and it seems all three of the developers would be alright with releasing the source code for us. It's very possible I'll get the source code for PtD after all, so we can start modifying it.

Fowyr

It's a crime that you can only give one brofist to a post.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Breaking news, folks.

I'm in contact with CP and it seems all three of the developers would be alright with releasing the source code for us. It's very possible I'll get the source code for PtD after all, so we can start modifying it.

Fowyr

If he delivers he should get a prestigious tag.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Breaking news, folks.

Fowyr

If

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Breaking news, folks.

Fowyr

If
Barbarians should not be as sceptic. Crom is clearly with the Codex on this one.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Breaking news, folks.

Fowyr

If
Barbarians should not be as sceptic. Crom is clearly with the Codex on this one.
No one tells Barbarians how to behave.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Let's see the source code first but the path will probably be (assuming the plausible way it's coded WIN MSVC DirectX) :
* Attempt to recompile it for Windows with legacy toolchains
* Modernize the build systems by porting to CMake
* Make everything compile with multiple modern compilers on Windows
* Update legacy dependencies that we want to keep
* Port it to Linux through WineLib
* Evaluate and replace legacy/unwanted dependencies (DirectX or whatever will be in our way for instance, simple SDL+OpenGL should be the first step)
* Ditch WineLib
* Volunteer QA should start now
* Clean the code, fix the bugs
* Improve whatever shiny people will like (the nice to have, pleasant to code, but the easy part)

Some people in a hurry will probably provide shortcuts for gamers' enjoyment but IMO this is the solid path with the best quality result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom