Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Putting Stuff in Holes the Chris Avellone Way

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jason, May 3, 2010.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href="http://polygamer.com/?Parlons-jeux-video-avec-Chris" target="blank">Polygamer</a> recently interviewed <b>Chris Avellone</b>, but posted the results in some strange, non-American language. Fortunately, MCA came through and posted a translation on his <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=1&showentry=133" target="blank">Obsidian blog</a>.
    <br>
    <blockquote>2] As an author full of ideas, what would you do to make us laugh like fools or cry like little girls? Would you work especially on the narration ? Interaction ? Visuals ?
    <br>
    <br>
    Don't force the humor, let it come out of context of the player's actions, and whenever possible, make that humor reactive based on the player's actions, not on watching a passive sequence. Try to get inside the player's head, and not only anticipate what they may think, but provide options for it. As an example, nothing created a more sympathetic reaction for me than Ripley in Aliens echoing exactly what the viewer is thinking ("Nuke 'em from orbit." Followed by "They can bill me.") - everyone in the audience can completely sympathize with getting the hell off of LV-426 and dropping nukes on a nest of vicious predators with acid for blood. So look for points in the game where you catch yourself thinking of a solution and have characters in the game echo what the player might be thinking.
    <br>
    <br>
    Narration, interaction, and visuals can all contribute to humor or sense of loss, but really, you want to focus on the audio.
    <br>
    <br>
    The tone of a voice actor and the background music will do more to create mood than any visual or interaction sequence can strive for. As an example, in Alpha Protocol, Michael Thorton can develop a romance or a hatred with a contact, Madison, in the game... and when you interact with Madison, the music and the voice acting is what drives the emotion of the scene. When you have a hatred going, the music is tense, dangerous, and everything about Madison's tone tells you how much she despises you. On the counterbalance, the voices and music (softer, slower) is what drives home the romance at the other end of the spectrum. </blockquote>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=8ba23e0befac0f9be2c73fbdbdf90d18&automodule=blog&blogid=1&">Chris Avellone's Blog</A>

^ Top  
  2. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Hell fucking yes

I don't even have words to describe how fucking awesome that would be

^ Top  
  3. yaster Liturgist

yaster
    To fucking awesome, that is way it will never be. Good things die young.

:(

^ Top  
  4. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Looks like we continue the proud trend of hammering "emotional cues" onto the player with the subtlety and finesse of a piano dropped on their head.

^ Top  
  5. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Yes.

Or even any kind of modern urban setting that isn't for retarded kids like the GTA games.

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have to consider ditching guns that have been used in a murder, making sure not to kill anyone in front of a lot of people, and that not only can you get killed, but also end the game by going to prison for life.

^ Top  
  6. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Fucked up, fin fyr, fed frits.

I agree. And to make it abundantly clear, we devide every emotional response into two categories: HATRED or ROMANCE

^ Top  
  7. Sckarecrow92 Educated

Sckarecrow92
    It would be better if the game continued in jail, and forced the character to adapt to the new environment. Plus, you could have dexterity checks to see if you drop the soap or not.

^ Top  
  8. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Aren't you a secret agent? I think your agency woul rather kill you than send you to prison so you can spill their secrets

^ Top  
  9. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Fixed. Pink's no good for romance. And grimdark gritty red for true hate.

^ Top  
  10. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Much better moar EXTREME.

^ Top  
  11. Rhalle Magister

Rhalle
    'Make the humor a result of a player action'-- that's pretty apt advice by MCA.

Oh, and, fucking lol at the thread title.

^ Top  
  12. gromit Arcane

gromit
    :love:

^ Top  
  13. -=DarlSephiroth666=- Educated

-=DarlSephiroth666=-
    Popamole?

:lol:

^ Top  
  14. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    I thought this would have been more interesting to the Codex...

^ Top  
  15. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    I don't know how I completely missed that one.

^ Top  
  16. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    more depressing than interesting since what we get instead is all me, baby!

also: the thread title makes me giggle like a little Skyway girl every time i read it.

^ Top  
  17. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Thought that was old news to everybody at this point.

^ Top  
  18. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Has anyone - Codex or otherwise - asked MCA about the utterly embarassing Thornton voice acting (and, less common but still there at times - dialogue)? He talks all the right talk regarding good voice acting and good game writing, and he's proven that in the right genre and the right working conditions he can also walk the walk. But Thornton seems so...wretchedly bad...by MCA's own standards. And not in a way where you can blame the market or contractual obligations (as you can with, say, FO: NV being a near-clone of FO3, given it's contractual status and obligation to target Bethesda fans and all). Bad voice acting is just bad voice acting.

I really want to hope we're just seeing the worst of it. But this isn't just 'action! action! action!'. It's simply horrible lines and acting even as they're showing off the non-action parts of the game. Please oh please can someone do or find a POLITE (don't be a codex dick in the interview - there's NOTHING to be gained by that - save the bitching for the forums afterwards) interview pointing out the questionable aspects of Thornton's dialogue and whether they are indicative of the end product. If not, then in what SPECIFIC ways are they likely to be changed.

^ Top  
  19. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't think MCA does a lot of writing these days. He's lead designer, not lead writer. He probably does some writing, but the bulk of it is probably and sadly left to someone else.

^ Top  
  20. Jim Cojones Prophet

Jim Cojones
    An interesting fact:
    Alpha Protocol: voice director - Margaret Tang
    Bloodlines: voice director - Margaret Tang
    And I'm almost sure choosing the actors was one of her duties, so you can't say she simply can't help the fact that she's leading an untalented actor.

He has never been listed in credits as a writer for any game he's been working on. Some companies, including Interplay and Obsidian, don't/didn't hire anyone on such position but their designers are the ones responsible for writing.

^ Top  
  21. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Besides, as LEAD designer, I'm sure he has some say on the game's writing. Just sayin'.

^ Top  
  22. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    I think the reason for Thorton's character, from his appearance to his voice to his very name, is there to provide the blankest of slates in order for the character to project on to. Maybe. Just sayin'.

^ Top  
  23. yaster Liturgist

yaster
    I think the problem (with most cases) are the time constrains putted on such project. It's always to short. To my understanding Alpha Protocol will have more dialogue than VmtB, multiple path etc. So it's understandable that quality deteriorate, even with talented director and voice actors.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.