Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pyramid of favorite games

Severian Silk

I tend to think of my favorite games in a pyramid, with one game at top, followed by two games below, followed by three games below that, etc. etc.

Fallout
Homeworld, JA2
IWar2, ToEE, Final Fantasy 6
Ocarina of Time, System Shock, Underrail, Gothic
Wipeout, Prelude to Darkness, Gothic 2, Out of This World, X-Wing Alliance
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Far Cry, Quake, Fallout 2, X-COM, Tekken II
Blackguards, Shadowrun HK, Vagrant Story, Thief, Age of Decadence, Star Wolves, RPG Maker
Geneforge, Mount & Blade, Super Mario Bros., DOOM II, Shining Force II, SimCity 2000, Dead State, Witcher 2​

I think this would be a fun poll. It feels very natural to me. What is your pyramid of games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Master

Arbiter
Star Wolves? Is it really that good to be next to Gothic 1 and 2? I kinda doubt that.

---

Arcane
I tend to think of my favorite games in a pyramid, with one game at top, followed by two games below, followed by three games below that, etc. etc.

Fallout
Homeworld, JA2
IWar2, ToEE, FF6
Z:OoT, Wipeout, Prelude to Darkness, Underrail
Star Wolves, Gothic, Gothic 2, Out of This World, X-Wing Alliance

I think this would be a fun poll. It feels very natural to me. What is your pyramid of games?
You forgot the "2" :thumbsup:

Severian Silk

Star Wolves? Is it really that good to be next to Gothic 1 and 2? I kinda doubt that.
I *really* like that style of ship combat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well shit, I'm bored.

Fallout 2,
Fallout, PST,
Arcanum, VtMB, Dungeon Keeper
Wiz8, Civ4, Hitman: Bloodmoney, Deus Ex,
DOS, Wasteland, Morrowind, MMXL, Steel Panthers,
SR:DF, SR:HK, PoE, WL2, The Secret of Monkey Island, Cannon Fodder,

...and then I remembered a whole bunch of other games that really probably should be upper there, or should they, and that's it I'm done...

Severian Silk

I actually posted this in the wrong forum. (Nobody noticed?) I did not mean RPGs only, but all games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Any limit on how far down the pyramid goes?

And would you object if people preferred ziggurats instead?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic
Vagrant Story; Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer; Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II; Deus Ex
Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic; Deus Ex: Invisible War; Vampire: Bloodlines; Dragon Age: Origins
The Witcher II; Alpha Protocol; Pillars of Eternity; The Walking Dead (Telltale); Max Payne​

Severian Silk

Any limit on how far down the pyramid goes?

And would you object if people preferred ziggurats instead?
Not sure. I did 7 levels before I couldn't think of any more. Ziggurats are okay IMO.

What type of points should be awarded at each tier? I was thinking games in the bottom tier should be awarded 1 point each. Games in the second tier from the bottom awarded 2 points each. Then 3, 4, 5, etc.

[edit]

I stopped at Level 8.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
ucaike.gif

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You guys have too much time at your hand. Maybe you should work on making the World a better place.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I tend to think of my list in terms of that children's geometric puzzle with the pillars. You know the one. Bioware put it in Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect, which incidentally, aren't on my list. :lol: Theoretically a perfect alignment of my favourite games is out there somewhere, so I ceaselessly shift games back and forth in varying combinations trying to find it.

Momock

Augur
I like this pyramid thing! It's easier to make my mind this way:

Fallout 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask / Le Chuck's Revenge: Monkey Island 2
Metroid Prime 2 / Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus / Dark Souls
Metroid Prime / Metal Slug X / Goblins 3 / The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
The Dig / Heroes of Might and Magic III / Hotline Miami / No One Lives Forever / Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Sonic 3 & Knuckles / Metal Gear Solid 2 / Gothic / Super Mario Galaxy / Primordia / Portal
Half-Life / Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow / Knytt: Underground / Resident Evil: Remake / Heart of Darkness / The Longest Journey / Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Last edited:

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Fallout
Fallout 2 / Planescape: Torment
X-Com: UFO Defense / Master of Magic / Jagged Alliance 2
Master of Orion / X-Com: Terror From the Deep / Freedom Force / Civilization IV
Silent Storm / Civilization I / Master of Orion 2 / Arcanum / Heroes of Might & Magic 3
Dungeon Keeper / Baldur's Gate 2 / Reach For The Stars / Thief: The Dark Project / Thief II: The Metal Age / Tropico
Underrail / Temple of Elemental Evil / Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / Deus Ex / VtM:Bloodlines / Wasteland / Wizardry 7
Wizardry I / Wizardry 8 / Gothic 2 / Planetfall / Fallout Tactics / Might & Magic 1 / Might & Magic VI / Alpha Centauri

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
................................................................................................Pool of Radiance
....................................................................................Curse of the Azure Bonds / FRUA
.................................................Pools of Darkness/ Champions of Krynn/ Death Knights of Krynn/ Dark Queen of Krynn
..............Secret of the Silver Blades/ Gateway to the Savage Frontier/ Treasure of the Savage Frontier/ Countdown to Doomsday/ Matrix Cubed/ Neverwinter Nights/ Hillsfar/ Spelljammer

:troll:

Deleted member 7219

Star Wars: TIE Fighter CD
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind / Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II / Fallout: New Vegas / The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witcher / The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings / Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer / Pillars of Eternity
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines / Trails of Cold Steel / Trails of Cold Steel II / Trails in the Sky / Trails in the Sky SC
Shadowrun: Hong Kong / Shadowrun: Dragonfall / Alien: Isolation / Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / The Last of Us / Half-Life 2​

Lines 1-3 will likely never change. The others are all interchangeable and are likely to be swapped out and replaced by others that take my fancy. Right now the Trails games are included on my list because I've played them recently and been impressed by them. Pillars is a solid game - it's on there mainly to troll the 'dex.

Master

Arbiter
Fuck this triangle bullshit. OP needs to own up to topic tittle and make or at least draw an actual Pyramid of Games. Id like to see how that looks like. Would Star Wolves be on the inner or outer side of this structure, and why? OP your name suggests you like puzzles and shit. So get to it.

McPlusle

Savant
Alpha Centauri
Civilization II, Deus Ex
Crazy Taxi, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Virtua Fighter 4
I can't think of anything else so I guess there are only six good video games in the universe.

Severian Silk

I'm thinking of taking FNV off the list. It's not a bad game objectively, but Gamebryo kind of ruins it.

[edit]

I replaced it with Geneforge. I tried playing the sequel recently and did not like it, but when I played the first one a really long time ago I really liked it. So it goes on the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom