Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info QTEs in The Witcher 2 optional

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Or so says a guy labeled "Lead Gameplay Designer" at the <a href="http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=29292.585">official forums</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"><span>There is possibility to turn off QTE system so there is always choice to play with or without it.</span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Then again, we have people labeled "Ask me about anime" and just check what happens when you do ask them about anime. So, these labels may be deceiving.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks, <strong>tetsuo</strong>!</p>

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Excidium said:
But will sex scenes have QTEs?

Yes. I've read that it will have two different consequences: your partner have, or doesn't have orgasm. In the second act will be a certain woman, if you give her orgasm, the story will branch out in different direction and in the third act you'll be given an entirely different set of quests. So, sex in the Witcher is very plot critical. Seriously.

.Sigurd

Educated
Yes, that is obvious that you can't disable fistfight QTE - because it's tottaly based on that system.
But you can disable all other optional QTE in options and just watch it like normal cutscenes.
Bah! What's the difference!?

Phelot

Arcane
So... you can just turn off QTEs? So you could just skip over boss fights?

BelisariuS.F said:
Excidium said:
But will sex scenes have QTEs?

Yes. I've read that it will have two different consequences: your partner have, or doesn't have orgasm. In the second act will be a certain woman, if you give her orgasm, the story will branch out in different direction and in the third act you'll be given an entirely different set of quests. So, sex in the Witcher is very plot critical. Seriously.

And thank god for that. What's the reason for smashing QTEs in game if you are not going to have severe consequences for them?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
phelot said:

Like I already said, all QTE in The Witcher 2 are just something to make what would be a cutscene a bit more interactive, no big deal. On the Codex though was a bunch of fucktarded rage from idiots who seemingly have no problem with cutscenes, but fuck, making them a bit more involving with QTE all of a sudden makes them angry like a bunch of fucking morons.

Oh and in before the "WAAHHH, cutscenes!" faggotry. Wake up you fuckheads, The Witcher isn't a fucking roguelike or a blob crawler; never was, never will be. It's a story ARPG of the Bioware type, so expecting something else is pretty fucking stupid.

Oh and I don't remember any QTE boss fights in the first Witcher, so why the fuck would they be here?

BelisariuS.F

Augur
phelot said:

I've recently stumbled upon some three week old video interview with Gop, where he said that QTE is only in this single boss fight with this giant squid, and even there it's only an alternative way of defeating it (you can probably defeat it by just cutting off all of its tentacles). As for the dragon, judging by the description, it seems that it's not even a boss fight, but basically an interactive cutscene.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
commie said:
Like I already said, all QTE in The Witcher 2 are just something to make what would be a cutscene a bit more interactive, no big deal. On the Codex though was a bunch of fucktarded rage from idiots who seemingly have no problem with cutscenes, but fuck, making them a bit more involving with QTE all of a sudden makes them angry like a bunch of fucking morons.

You really are a dumbshit fanboy, aren't you? QTEs in cutscenes are not 'involving' in any way, unless you find the experience of playing Simon Says an immersive and visceral activity. They certainly aren't any form of improvement either, which I pointed out in thatotherthread before some other cockrocker called me a skyway.

If you have a cutscene, you are supposed to lay back and observe what's happening in it, NOT just look at the fucking corners of the screen to wait for the icons telling you to jump to pop up, completely breaking the fourth wall and deconcentrating you from following the current course of actions. And it is especially not too fucking fun either when you have to rewatch the fucking cutscene 10 times, just because some dumb faggot thought it was an ingenious idea to put a QTE cutscene into it that would make you play fucking Twister on your keyboard, having to push 764987698347609340698 buttons at once (+ OHAI, SURPRISE TRAP THAT YOU COULDN'T SEE BEFORE HAPPENS, YOU HAVE 1/2 SEC TO REACT BY PUSHING X)

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
phelot said:

Oh and in before the "WAAHHH, cutscenes!" faggotry. Wake up you fuckheads, The Witcher isn't a fucking roguelike or a blob crawler; never was, never will be. It's a story ARPG of the Bioware type, so expecting something else is pretty fucking stupid.

Oh and I don't remember any QTE boss fights in the first Witcher, so why the fuck would they be here?

:D You feel very strongly about this game, don't you.

EDIT: But I'm one of those people that don't like cutscenes in general unless, perhaps I've earned one by defeating a powerful enemy IN GAME, but I could do without the "Welcome to this particular spot in the game, let me show you a movie for the next 5 minutes"

.Sigurd

Educated
Gakkone said:
phelot said:

I think it'll rather be possible to win all boss fights without QTE's.
Exactly. They already said that QTE in boss fights is optional.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they had only mentioned this from the start we could have avoided all that bitching. :M Now make me a better inventory.

Arcanoix

Scholar
If you can turn off QTE's that would be quite impressive. The thing is though - will turning them off make the game turn off the QTE scenes or will it just skip them?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Arcanoix said:
If you can turn off QTE's that would be quite impressive. The thing is though - will turning them off make the game turn off the QTE scenes or will it just skip them?
If you turn off QTEs it'll play just like a regular cinematic.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That you can turn them off, shows how pointless they are in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom