Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Semiurge

Cipher
It's interesting that view bob is disabled by default. Do you guys prefer to play with it enabled or keep default?

"Immersive" features like that are disabled by default so that the dumbest multifags won't bitch about their poor scores online and blame it on Bethesda.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nah bro you dont get it. active desktop and custom html folder views are the most fundamental parts of the win98 experience

say no more:
pp2wkz.png

You get this on Windows 10 too, it is a feature of the metro/uwp/winui/whatever. E.g. open Settings, Weather, Calculator, Calendar or even the clock view at the bottom right of the taskbar and press F7, you get the same dialog. None of these use Edge's WebView (which is really Chrome/Chromium). The interesting thing is that Skype, which is based on Chrome doesn't show this :-P

ferratilis

Magister
Do enemies take damage from lava pits if they fall into them? There was a funny situation where I dodged a fiend and he fell into the lava, and then the bridge closed above him. He could still be heard growling down there even after a few minutes, it was funny. Was it always like that or is it a new 'feature?'

Also, the architecture and lighting in some of the Sandy Petersen levels are just amazing. Together with Romero's castle levels, these are easily the most memorable.
5CfOv6M.png

Curratum

Romero and Sandy both work with super abstract architecture, but Sandy's maps always look like he just sketched them and forgot to add all the detail and make it all look ok, even back in Doom.

ferratilis

Magister
Romero and Sandy both work with super abstract architecture, but Sandy's maps always look like he just sketched them and forgot to add all the detail and make it all look ok, even back in Doom.

I'd still take that over American McGee's gimmicks with gravity, elevators, platforms and wind tunnels, any day of the week.

I'd still take that over American McGee's gimmicks with gravity, elevators, platforms and wind tunnels, any day of the week.
All of that together is the good shit, though. Quake's best when they're running wild. Give you a vaguely identifiable location and then gimmick it up and throw in some nonsense. It's nice when regular shooters have a decent bit of variety in levels and each map feels distinct, but Quake's got the perfect excuse to get as weird as they can with it.

Started Dissolution of Eternity, initial impression isn't as good as Scourge of Armagon as far as the maps are concerned, but I'm enjoying new enemies, and the new weapons are a mixed bag. It was a good sign that the redone Quake enemy models still pair up well with the originals because the alternate clusterbomb ogres in Dissolution blend in really well. Looking at the corpses after the fact you can tell they're still on the old ogre model since the new one actually has a nose, but running around shooting I didn't even notice. Fire nails and cluster bombs feel unnecessary but fine, but the laser rifle in Armagon was fun. Mjolnir was PROBABLY shitty but I still had fun using it sometimes, and the proximity launcher was complete garbage. Maps have played fine but aren't as pretty as in Armagon and don't have the same little touches with secrets, like a fair few Armagon levels I noticed had special secret areas with unique messages to them which was fun. I guess just to shit on Armagon a little (Other than the terrible proximity launcher) I will say the boss fight was lame, but such is life in Quake.

Ash

Arcane
Romero >= McGee > Willits >= Petersen. All are or were fantastic level designers though.

Also The Wind Tunnels was Willits' map. I thought it was McGee too. Maybe I've underrated him because it's a really good map.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do enemies take damage from lava pits if they fall into them? There was a funny situation where I dodged a fiend and he fell into the lava, and then the bridge closed above him. He could still be heard growling down there even after a few minutes, it was funny. Was it always like that or is it a new 'feature?'

Enemies do not take damage from lava in Quake 1, this was added in Quake 2 which has a bridge you can submerge into lava to trap an enemy that was placed next to it so that it can be trapped :-P. It was completely underutilized IMO and felt more like some random gimmick to show at E3 (like the enemies ducking to avoid your projectiles - in real game you may see that once or twice, if at all) than a real gameplay feature.

Riskbreaker

I completely forgot about Scourge of Armagon's spike mines. I really can't think of any user map or episode that used these fucks. So that's another thing that ain't agreeing too well with the new nightmare HP cap, given the damage they do and their sometimes infuriating placement (say them hiding right behind the corner in newly opened secret room) or them frequently being spawned behind you.

Eh, I'd say that Ziggurat Vertigo's thematic weirdness, the way heterogenous elements are fused into this surreal whole - lava-surrounded ancient pyramids encased in some huge abstract structure, all of it in some low gravity environment - is peak Quake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely forgot about Scourge of Armagon's spike mines. I really can't think of any user map or episode that used these fucks. So that's another thing that ain't agreeing too well with the new nightmare HP cap, given the damage they do and their sometimes infuriating placement (say them hiding right behind the corner in newly opened secret room) or them frequently being spawned behind you.
How quiet they are is the worst part. They're like the damn drones in Duke 3D only without the annoying sounds. They're also fairly resistant to shotgun damage but nailguns pop them in one or two nails at least.

soulburner

Cipher
Interesting mod.

It certaily looks more natural. The centerd weapons always looked a bit off IMO.

No. When you hold a weapon, you position your body in a way that it's centered in your eyesight. Shooting while holding the weapon at the hip or to the right of your head is a good way to hurt yourself. Centered weapon models in games are thus more natural and you don't even need a crosshair drawn in the center of the screen to properly aim. Too bad there weren't that many shooters with centered guns - I think Unreal was the last one to have such an option.

edit - yes, I know new Dooms have such an option, but the models are so damn huge they're actually a visual obstacle. They are huge on the right side, too, so the models are generally fucked up.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting mod.

It certaily looks more natural. The centerd weapons always looked a bit off IMO.

No. When you hold a weapon, you position your body in a way that it's centered in your eyesight. Shooting while holding the weapon at the hip or to the right of your head is a good way to hurt yourself. Centered weapon models in games are thus more natural and you don't even need a crosshair drawn in the center of the screen to properly aim. Too bad there weren't that many shooters with centered guns - I think Unreal was the last one to have such an option.

edit - yes, I know new Dooms have such an option, but the models are so damn huge they're actually a visual obstacle. They are huge on the right side, too, so the models are generally fucked up.

You never, ever hold a gun or rifle dead center to your body, while facing forward, don't try to pull some realism card here. And in games it looks stupid, but each to their own.

randir14

Augur
So apparently the new Dimensions of the Machine episode is Kex-exclusive in that it can't be ran on the homebrew engines for technical reasons. Those who don't care for this rerelease will have to wait for someone to port it it seems.
Now liberated from the KEX Engine Hegemony:

https://quakeone.com/forum/quake-talk/quake-central/283211-quake-enhanced-is-out-now

The latest version of vkQuake can play the re-release but none of the graphics upgrades are carried over other than the colored lights. The only real benefit is not being limited by the Kex Engine's internal 60hz limit.

Curratum

So apparently the new Dimensions of the Machine episode is Kex-exclusive in that it can't be ran on the homebrew engines for technical reasons. Those who don't care for this rerelease will have to wait for someone to port it it seems.

https://quakeone.com/forum/quake-talk/quake-central/283211-quake-enhanced-is-out-now

The latest version of vkQuake can play the re-release but none of the graphics upgrades are carried over other than the colored lights. The only real benefit is not being limited by the Kex Engine's internal 60hz limit.

What is that 60 hz limit and how does it work?

ferratilis

Magister
People have been complaining about that 60hz limit, but honestly I haven't noticed any jittery movement while playing at 120hz. On the other hand, it's definitely visible in the Doom Unity release, which seems sluggish compared to source ports, but in this Quake release it's not such a big problem.

I'm guessing that Nightdive will patch it eventually, together with weird gun animations when falling. They're known to support their releases better than Nerve Software, who usually release something and just leave it that way.

Curratum

I'm at just 75 hz but haven't noticed any visible issues.

I think the Doom Unity port feels so bad because they haven't decoupled framerate from the 35 tics per second thing of the vanilla engine, so it looks like you're playing the DOS version at a higher res, no matter what your fps counter may read.

ferratilis

Magister
Nerve Software are a bunch of schmucks. They also did the 2012 port of Doom 1 and 2 for the BFG Edition. Unity releases seem amazing in comparison to that steaming pile of shit. At the time, everyone hated the fact they turned on random pitch shift without the ability to turn it off. In Unity release, there is an option to turn it off, but it's on by default lol. Duke Nukem 3D on Steam was also done by them, and is probably the worst release of Duke ever, that has forced mouse acceleration no matter what you do, and none of the expansions. No wonder Randy picked them, subhumans tend to attract each other.

Thank god this release was done by Nightdive and some community members (MVG and some other guys), at least that way you know it was worked on by people who love the game. It's not perfect, but it can get there.

m_s0

Arcane

I'd say there's also the benefit of... not playing Quake on the KEX Engine. For some reason it just feels wrong to me, even though they did a pretty decent job, and even though those new models (which I still don't like, frankly) are pretty much a template for how this sort of thing should be done.

Might be just down to the Bethesda.net bullshit in the menu, honestly. If they want to sell me shit and they put that in the game menu that's pretty much an act of war delivered with an olive branch (this beeing a free update and all) - they can fuck right off with that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sandy's maps have less visual detail but their gameplay is pretty great.

Interesting mod.

Nah man. The phallic boneresque appearance of Quake's weapons is fucking ICONIC

6173737.jpg

launching rockets straight from your DICK

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom