Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Quake Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Aug 13, 2021.

1. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    Yeah, read what i write, i already said this is highly dependant on the quality of the texture packs, and maybe this is the reason why they this time decided to not include any texture packs.. Again, for SS2 Enhanced i got an email from ND who said my packs (models, textures) are considered essential to the players of the game and to him as well, and why it would be included. I am not a hardcore Quake player, i was back in the day but i'm clueless when it comes to it's texture packs.

Just changing the color slightly on some textures can sometimes break the whole thing, it gets especially bad when it's mixed with some low res textures that no one cared to update, this is very common... For Thief there are numerous packs, i've done my own too, been years since i played it though but i did a mix that worked really well, still retaining the original atmosphere, to me at least.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    What I like about that Quake Remaster is that the new models stay very true to the original style and are still low poly enough to feel 90s. Really well made.

But overall, I still prefer playing with Quakespasm.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    yeah, same dude works on SS2... Swedish guy...

^ Top  
  4. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I played few missions with this texture pack and I think it looks fine:

I'm sure purists can still find reasons to hate it but I prefer less blurry textures.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Yeah it does depend on the texture pack and game in question. Is the game realism-oriented? Is the game's art style even good and worth preserving to an autistic degree in the first place? Most old games do look shit with HD world textures, but System Shock 2 is definitely an exception for example (NOT rebirth though). New AI upscale tech as above is usually pretty good too, typically because it's pretty subtle. I am 100% on board with Quake looking like shit with HD (world geometry) texture packs though. The game is highly abstract and not detail nor realism oriented in its level design, so it just looks fucked. Techbase interiors look kinda nice since they're a little less abstract than the other world types, but that's about it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    ^ Top  
  6. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Found them a bit of a mixed bag as some seem to be missing the point stylistically, for example new rottweiler just looks like a normal doggo instead of possessed by ebul!! Although they are well made, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    When I first heard about AI upscaling I wrote it off as something that's no doubt gonna be shit. But it's shaping up to be the better way to make these sort of texture packs, making old games look less blurry while completely keeping original style intact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Agree. keep the enemy models vanilla. blurring hides detail, keeping things abstract and weird. When you can see low-poly, low-res monsters in clearer detail they're no longer quite so monstrous, more like plushy dolls instead. The weapons on the other hand, so ugly and worthless I just replace them completely. Especially as things you are expected to look at 100% of the time.

^ Top  
  9. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    This is why you play with all texture filtering disabled and revel in the glory of crispy textures.

^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Overrated as fuck.

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    Adding to the list of jobs replaced by automation: Texture defiler

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Few things in game graphics I hate more than fucking shimmering.

^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Podcast interview with Machine Games level designers:

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Denim Destroyer Learned

Denim Destroyer
    Biggest changes seem to be fixing backward movement speed and improved performance in Dimension of the Machine. Regardless I am still sticking with Quakespasm.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Not really since it's free for all who own the original Quake. I paid exactly 0.00€ for it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    Also it clearly has a lot of work done on it (engine updates, new episode, new models, etc) so regardless if one likes it or not, it certainly isn't "low effort".

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Not low effort but low quality. What is the point of putting Quake on Kex? So it can have a couple of minimalist and arguably unnecessary graphics whoring features? So it can add incompatibility with over two decades of Quake modding? So it can have achievements? 50 hp Nightmare mode? Modern gaming is pathetic.

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    It's so they can have an excuse to use B O U N C E L I G H T I N G

^ Top  
  20. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    AD requires custom features introduced by a fork they made to Quakespasm (which i think were later merged with Quakespasm), so since Quake Enhanced Edition's engine isn't based on Quakespasm but on the original GLQuake, then no. Unless they implement said features of course. But that is like expecting any non-Quakespasm-based source port (of which there are like a hundred) to support them.

I'm certain it was for the console ports. The original Quake source code, on which all modern source ports are based, was released under the GPL license which requires all modifications to the source code also be released under the GPL license (among other stuff, like making the source code available to anyone who asks). The GPL license is incompatible with console SDKs which are way more controlling (GPL is essentially written to allow for maximum *user* control - from a perspective of if you have the source code you have the best control over a program and so ensuring the source code always remains available gives the users maximum control - but consoles are the complete antithesis of that where users are essentially treated as hostile actors - this isn't me making this up btw, this is what one of Microsoft's engineers said in a presentation about XBox One's hardware DRM).

So if Bethesda and/or Nightdive wanted to release this on consoles (and they certainly did), they'd have to start from code that was completely owned by id - ie. the original Quake source code. Kex entered into the picture since they already have designed it to allow for merging with existing codebases to provide support for modern graphics APIs, platforms, input, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I *think* GPL actually doesn't matter as Bethesda is the owner of the code, the owner is not bound by the license. They can do whatever they want to unless they don't use modifications from community.

But I agree that console release was a big factor here. Nightdive probably pitched that Kex port and Behtesda/id probably chose it over porting Quake codebase to consoles themselves or by some other third party.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Yeah, this is why i wrote that they'd have to start from code that was completely owned by id - ie. the original Quake source code without any modifications made by others later, as they do not own those - since they can license those as they fit.

^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae

soon?
    [​IMG]

Shamblers redesigned?

• decline decline x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.