Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well the new consoles have much better CPU and SSD that could make fast gameplay with even more increased visual fidelity possible to some degree. (Pushing even more would alienate people with lower-end PCs anyway.) The constraint would be the gamepad controls.

Eisen

Learned
MachineGames second expansion is pretty good, however i can't say the same about the first one made by them.

Eisen

Learned
The things that ruins DOPA for me is the ammo placement and enemy placement, i hated the moments that i had to kill 2 Shamblers with the Super Shotgun(makes me remember the bullet sponges enemies from Unreal:prosper:, what a terrible game), however i still think that it is a decent episode, but is it better than the others? Certainly not.

toughasnails

Quake plays perfectly fine with a gamepad, i've played it a bunch using Quakespasm which support gamepads.
Really?
I could imagine it for the base game, but you must have some mad skills if you're playing user maps with a gamepad.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really?
I could imagine it for the base game, but you must have some mad skills if you're playing user maps with a gamepad.

Yes i meant the base game, but i think it should work with most user maps just fine. Of course things that are intentionally obnoxious with monsters most likely wont be playable with a gamepad, though the only user map i can think of right now is Technicolor Antichrist Box (which i could barely play with a mouse) and that is for Doom. Not a bad map, mind you, just not something you can relax by playing :-P

Wunderbar

Arcane
So I just finished playing through Arcane Dimensions and has a wonderful time. A great variety of levels to play through, myself preferring the longer ones. I was curious to see what ever came of the folks behind the project. Did they get hired at ID/open up their own studios? I think some moved on to develop Wrath. Have there been/are any new projects on the horizon of such scale for this or other classic game (FPS or otherwise)?
some of them were already accomplished level designers.
Sock worked on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Enemy Territory Quake Wars and Wolfenstein 2009. PulSaR is a level desinger at Owlcat studios. Vondur worked on Blitzkrieg and Silent Storm games. Skacky now works at 3DRealms on Wrath and Graven, and according to mobygames he helped Streumon on Space Hulk Deathwing. Lunaran worked on Natural Selection 2, Titanfall and helped with The Beginners Guide (?). BaL is an artist at Quantic Dream. Etc, etc.
I just found out that CZG, author of the epic mappack "Honey", is a senior level designer at Starbreeze/Machinegames, and he worked on all of their shooters since The Darkness.
Damn man, how could you drop the ball so hard with The New Colossus?

Ash

Arcane
That game's issue wasn't with its level design.

Yes it was, along with everything else. Same goes for The New Order too. As for how CZG dropped the ball? He didn't have a choice. You make what you are told to make, essentially, and old school level design A.K.A actual level design wasn't it.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah, it likely wasn't so much dropping the ball as it was complying with what the suits were asking. Why do you think there's quite a number of professional level designers who still map for Quake in their free time to this day? I'm sure there's a touch of nostalgia in there, considering how a lot of these people started out, but I wouldn't be surprised if for many of them it's also an opportunity to escape the constraints of what being a level designer for a modern videogame company entails.

ferratilis

Magister
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2310/view/3102414008261877214

Quake - Update 2
This is the second major update since the release of the enhanced version.

Update 2 contains a brand-new Horde Mode made by MachineGames with 1-4 player co-op (including optional bots), new Add-on "Honey", some quality-of-life improvements, and bug fixes.
It also marks the Quake release on the Epic Games Store (for PC). With Horde Mode you can play solo, with bots, or friends, and face off against waves of enemies of increasing difficulty. Earn Silver Keys to unlock access to better weapons. Survive long enough and earn a Gold Key, which will allow you to escape, or stay behind and fight against the armies of Quake until you fall

HORDE MODE

Overview

• All new multiplayer PvE experience designed by MachineGames
  • Supports 1 - 4 players or bots in local multiplayer and online modes (Custom matches only)
  • Playable on all difficulty levels
  • Includes 4 new maps specifically designed for Horde Mode

Rules

• Score points by killing enemies
  • Kill multiple enemies in quick succession for bonus points
  • Your progression is reset after the last player dies
  • Every 3rd wave has boss monsters but once you clear it, you get a Silver key to unlock more weapons and items
  • After the 9th wave, you get a gold key to unlock the exit, or you can keep fighting as long as you are able
  • Monsters have a chance of dropping quad damage and the pentagram of protection (powerups last for 5 seconds once picked up and despawn if not picked up after 10 seconds)

NEW ADD-ON: HONEY

QUAKE_HONEY_in-body_5.png

• Expand your Quake experience with the free Honey Add-on and delve deep into the darkness to conquer a deadly plague infecting the land
  • For a unique look behind the curtain, check out our Nods to Mods interview with the author of "Honey", MachineGames' own Senior Level Designer - Christian Grawer here
  • Read more about how to access Honey here

IMPROVEMENTS

• Improved auto aim to reduce amount of snapping and view locking onto enemies
  • Crosshair color and type can now be changed from the Gameplay options menu
  • Add-ons menu can now be used to play previously downloaded add-ons while offline
  • Text chat and push to talk voice chat are now available in pre-game lobbies
  • Added ability to invite friends across PC platforms using players on your Bethesda.net friends list (optional)

RANGER SKINS IN QUAKE CHAMPIONS AND DOOM ETERNAL

DE_QC_RangerSkins--1920x1080.png

• Owners of our Quake re-release can log in with their Bethesda.net credentials in-game to earn the Ranger Slayer Skin for DOOM Eternal and the Quake Guy Ranger Skin with the Gladus Axe in Quake Champions! (NOTE: In addition to owning Quake, players must also own DOOM Eternal or Quake Champions to use their respective skins)
  • For more info, click here

BUG FIXES

• Fixed Death Knight incorrectly referred to as Hell Knight in the main Quake campaign
  • Bots now chat less
  • Fixed cases where texture borders were visible around certain HUD elements
  • Fixed weapon firing immediately after respawning in multiplayer
  • Turning off Enable Microphone before connecting to online services now properly mutes the microphone

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It will make the new coop mode worth trying out past beating the campaign though. This is not a bad thing.

Ash

Arcane
Or you can not confine yourself to this retarded version and instead play 25 years worth of community made content. Yeah this mode itself isn't exactly bad as an extra mode for shits and giggles. The product it is tied to (Kex Quake) is though.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Or you can not confine yourself to this retarded version and instead play 25 years worth of community made content.

You could do both if you aren't butthurt. I still have my disc but I want to play with my friend who just bought this. I have more than one install on my rig. Three I think.

I got the game for 2 dollars or some shit.

Ash

Arcane
Hasn't co-op been a thing since the original release? Of which it has only gotten better with increasing support and content from the homebrew engines and mods? You should have told your friend to not be dumb and get the OG.

Imagine if Bethesda rereleased Doom which broke most compatibility with 28 years of community content, only adding one episode and a horde mode in its place as anything of value. Imagine the rage. Don't know why Quake gets a free pass.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hasn't co-op been a thing since the original release? Of which it has only gotten better with increasing support and content from the homebrew engines and mods? You should have told your friend to not be dumb and get the OG.

Imagine if Bethesda rereleased Doom which broke most compatibility with 28 years of community content, only adding one episode and a horde mode in its place as anything of value. Imagine the rage. Don't know why Quake gets a free pass.

Some people are too lazy and retarded and just want to buy shit on Steam, play with people on their friends list, and they don't mod their games. That is not me but I have friends like that.

People playing on Steam are not modding their shit bro. The Workshop is made for retards.

Ash

Arcane
"Some people are too lazy and retarded"

Could have just stopped there. Also change "some" to "most"

Bigg Boss

Arcane
"Some people are too lazy and retarded"

Could have just stopped there. Also change "some" to "most"

This is the Codex so I have to put my full case forward on the first couple posts or everything will be taken out of context and suddenly I want to get fucked in the ass by the juice.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Yeah, imagine that. Good thing we still get the original and don't have to suffer such a fate. People who can't figure out how to choose a different launch option or are on consoles aren't going to be playing mods anyway. Not that I like KexQuake, I avoid any form of source-porting whenever I can.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Well Doom also has a better modding community so there is that.

Oops I forgot modern Doom community is all tranny's.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom