Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Enhanced Edition

Riskbreaker

Like how exactly, if this is just a 'remaster'? There is no reason whatsoever to assume that they're announcing a brand new game.

If there's something to be concerned about, it's the people who play on PC, who had to be aware of source ports and all the user-made content, who are maybe into the current crop of NeoRetro shooters, and yet would only consider playing/replaying the original Quake once it receives an 'official', commercial port. Now that is something worth interrogating.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Ash

Arcane
What could they possibly do that mods and source ports already haven't, I wonder? Quake ranger gives monologues in never ending cutscenes? Shalrath grows tits and dual weilds LMGs? It is after all covered in blood. Stealth missions as basic as can be added? A super linear boring as all hell mission set on a nazi moon base where the only weapon you have is the lightning gun, after taking all your other weapons away? Underwater infiltration mission in a sewer that has to be the most terrible water/sewer level of all time?

Yes, this is all mocking the absurdity of Wolfenstien: TNO & TNC.

Ash

Arcane
Sure, but it has to have some gimmick for the PC release too, otherwise the Quake fanbase will probably just review bomb it in response to a clear cash grab when the game is already on steam/gog.

Ash

Arcane
So I just played Machine Games' Episode 5 for Quake (with Q1.5 and my add-on) and...it was really damn good. Rivalling the base game id-tier level design good, which in my experience is something the mapping community often fails to replicate, instead often prioritizing grand architecture and aesthetics, though to be fair I haven't played that many. I'll cut these guys some slack if more episodes is what they plan for this rerelease.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Achievements wouldn't be so terrible if they were, i don't know, actual achievements.

"Achievement completed, you have killed an Imp! Hurr durr".

Fucking hell.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What could they possibly do that mods and source ports already haven't, I wonder?
their own multiplatform port that can be put on Switch, xbox and playstation.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37924/Quake/

RATED M
Blood and Gore, Violence

Rating Summary
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a soldier that travels through time to stop an evil force from destroying humanity. Players traverse through maze-like medieval enviornments and use shotguns, nail guns, and grenade launchers to kill various enemies (e.g., zombies, demonic forces, scorpions, humans) in frenetic run-and-gun combat. Battles are accompanied by gunfire sounds, screams of pain, and large explosions. Large blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and several attack cause enemies to explode into bloody chunks. Some areas depict mutilated body parts on the ground or falling from ceilings.

Platforms
Windows PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series

Yeoman

Educated
MachineGames' so-called episode 5, Dimensions of the Past, is quite frankly terrible.

Half of the levels have the same flow where you have a central hub area with three chambers that are totally linear on their own and you go into one to unlock the other and so forth. It has much higher enemy counts than vanilla, but the enemies are used in very unimaginative and obvious ways that make the encounters more tedious rather than challenging.

Legendary Quake mapper czg helped with the making of this episode (he says that his boss made it, I'm sure he didn't help...) and it still comes across as amateurish, that's quite a feat.

Here is an example of a map that he is capable of and is lightyears ahead of DOPA
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/czg03.html

Here are two episodes from other individual mappers who did not even have the help of czg and they are still far more creative than MachineGames' crap
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/gotshun-never-released_levels.html

I know some of us are all fed up with AD's tedious grandiose maps, but that does not automatically make DOPA not shit.

randir14

Augur
It's out now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/

Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. With Quake (Enhanced), experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original.

Experience the Original Game, Enhanced
Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 4K* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and colored lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

Get the Original & New Expansion Packs
Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”
Discover the All-New “Dimension of the Machine” Expansion
In the deepest depths of the labyrinth lies the core of lava and steel known only as The Machine. Crusade across time and space against the forces of evil to bring together the lost runes, power the dormant machine, and open the portal hiding the greatest threat to all known worlds—destroy it...before it destroys us all.

Enjoy Online & Local Multiplayer and Co-op
Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.

Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Play together With Crossplay
Play the campaign and all expansion packs cooperatively or go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Crossplay is supported among PC (controller-enabled), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch.

Get the “original” and “enhanced” Versions
Play whichever version of Quake you prefer. Ownership of Quake gives you access to Quake (Original), the fully-moddable, untouched version of the game that has been available for years , and Quake (Enhanced), the recently released version of the game with improved visuals, curated add-ons, enhanced multiplayer support, crossplay, controller support, and more.
*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Achievements wouldn't be so terrible if they were, i don't know, actual achievements.

Fucking hell.

Achievements are for tracking player progress. For that to work, devs need a few pieces of low-hanging fruit to be achived early that serves as a baseline of how many people started the game: If 500,000 people got "did something at start of game" and 100,000 got "beat the game" the dev can determine 1/5th of players beat the game.

Riskbreaker

Looks like we've indeed got another Machine Games episode, meaning this isn't wholly obsolete even for those who aren't completely new to Quake.

randir14

Augur
Played the first episode and it's fine. Seems like they went for a minimalist approach with the updated graphics, since they aren't anywhere near as good as some of the source ports. Even the colored lighting is very subdued.

Removal

Scholar
Doesn't look like the gog version is getting an update to "enhanced" :argh:
Have they fixed up the music in this release so you don't have to manually put it back into the game?

randir14

Augur
Doesn't look like the gog version is getting an update to "enhanced" :argh:
Have they fixed up the music in this release so you don't have to manually put it back into the game?
It comes with the .ogg files and they play in the game

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Fucking hell.

Achievements are for tracking player progress. For that to work, devs need a few pieces of low-hanging fruit to be achived early that serves as a baseline of how many people started the game: If 500,000 people got "did something at start of game" and 100,000 got "beat the game" the dev can determine 1/5th of players beat the game.

Can't they put an internal tracking and turn visible achievements into something that's actually meaningful to the player?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the game already comes with telemetry because in the console I saw a message along the lines of KexSocialTelemetrysomething_LoginEventwhatever and KexSocialSignInwhatever.

In any event, it works fine. For some reason, the head bobbing is turned off by default, so that made the intro look weird.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
So it overwrote my quakespasm setup and I can't access any of the mods and maps I had installed anymore. Great.
Sincerely hope I can just slap it back on, or else I'm going back to copying the data files to a separate folder and running it with a sourceport from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom