Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Quake Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    So it overwrote my quakespasm setup and I can't access any of the mods and maps I had installed anymore. Great.
    Sincerely hope I can just slap it back on, or else I'm going back to copying the data files to a separate folder and running it with a sourceport from there.

^ Top  
  2. Curratum Magister

Curratum

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    quake had a singleplayer campaign?
    wtf

• Participation Award x 3
    • not sure if serious x 3
    • cuck x 3
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    Okay so it couldn't find my mods and maps because it's launching itself from a subfolder now. Still can't get my sourceport setup to work anymore so this is already dead to me.
    Also, nice sign up prompt. Thanks for the upgrade bethesda!

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    As for anyone who was worried the achieves would be retarded, aka Lyric Suite :

The Painless Maze
    Complete E4M6: The Pain Maze on Nightmare without taking damage.

Shub's Bud
    Complete Quake on Nightmare in single player.

etc all expansions on Nightmare.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Also, CROSSPLAY.

There's even an achieve for multiplayer DM. Fuck the haters, if this port revives Q1 DM, I for one welcome our new MSoft overlords.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    [​IMG]
    :whatho:

• Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Button x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. jebsmoker Arcane Patron

jebsmoker
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    i'm glad they decided to include quake 64 as a mod, since i love aubrey hodges' interpretation of quake's soundtrack... but why the fuck does it have this awful crt tv filter. it doesn't need it:

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    where the vignette and chromatic aberration at?
    it's fucking 2021

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    ^Should've gone the Prodeus route and made it IMPOSSIBLE to disable that shit.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    So my Quake install on Steam just got an update, which is this "remaster" or new official sourceport or whatever it is. It's self-contained in a new subfolder within the Quake install, which means your original install stays intact, including all the sourceports and map packs you have installed previously.

Tried out the new sourceport/remaster/whatever, since it's a good excuse to replay Quake again. Haven't played the original maps in years. And there's a new episode for free in it, so yay.
    It's pretty good.

Models have been updated a bit, I notice the shambler has a higher res model with teeth being actual 3D elements on his model instead of just a texture, but it's all subtle enough to not clash with the original artstyle. Still the same good old blocky pixelated Quake.

And it's a free update for all owners of Quake, so this is cool.

Can't complain.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Should still work if you launch it on Steam and click "play Classic Quake".

^ Top  
  13. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis
    Well, it's nice that Quake got some love finally, but this thing is crashing like crazy for me. Always on startup, while the logo videos are playing. Could be because I'm using an AMD CPU and GPU.

The movement feels kinda jittery, like it's not smooth at all. I had the same feeling about Doom Unity port, and the Doom 64 release on Steam. Never had that kind of movement on source ports. It's like a combination of mouse acceleration and low fps, it feels off.

Nightmare difficulty feels different, easier perhaps? Also, some areas look too 'clean,' like something is missing. I don't want to shit on their work, but just like with Doom Unity port, they're so close to releasing something amazing, but there are still annoyances.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ghulgothas Arcane

Ghulgothas
    This was a surprise, been itching for a shooter to play. This didn't fuck with Custom Levels or Mod Maps at all did it?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    Yeah, I'm retarded. Gotta rename it to Glquake instead of Winquake now.
    Phew.

^ Top  
  16. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    The maps have changed a bit too, for example the first outdoor area in E1M1 has this overhanging structure above the bridge, in the original it was just a flat texture with a trim outline, in the remaster it is inset with a few additional lights.

All changes i've seen are minor, they just retouch things a little without changing the original game's aesthetics.

The only annoying bit is that BethesdaNet integration and the new engine needs Steam to run. I worked around the latter by using Goldberg's emulator but the former is needed for some functionality like the addons. Hopefully we'll get a non-braindead version on GOG without all that garbage. Or even better, have sourceports be updated to support the new stuff :-P

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Ash Arcane

Ash
    You are most definitely not giving MG's resident quake mapper enough credit here. Why DOPA is so good is because it is Quake the way id did: primarily gameplay focused, abstract level design. There's great encounter design, tricky labyrinths, really cool creative traps, and minimal aesthetics whoring. Perfect resource distribution. Solid challenge. It feels official, on par with id, and there is no way in hell that is "crap".
    I will agree that most maps have a similar flow of a central area progressively unlocking outer areas, but that is not bad design just more variety would be nice, and that is really the only criticism that can be made about it.

Still, I will hear you out by trying that singular map by czg you posted and post about it.

Most maps the community have made is what feels amateurish to me, but maybe I just get unlucky in the maps I'm downloading. And I still have much more exploring/playing to do in that regard. MUCH more.

quake had multiplayer? wtf?

It was the industry and gamer's later obsession with gayorgyplayer that partly led to the shit state of today. UT and Q3 were decline for abandoning singleplayer!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Denim Destroyer Learned

Denim Destroyer
    To disable the startup videos just delete all files contained within the movies subfolder in the rerelease folder. By the way is anyone else having problems where the sounds are slightly muffled?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    There is no Quake 3.

A proper Quake game has a solid single player campaign. Quake 3 doesn't have any at all. Therefore it is not a Quake game :obviously:

It was a fucking travesty to release a sequel to two shooters with long single player campaigns and have it be multiplayer only.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This!
    Show Spoiler
    (Also UT is better Quake 3 than Quake 3.)

• Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    UT was never better than Quake 3.

• Agree x 3
    • No x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hmm. There are some problems with the port (as always happens with this KEX bullshit). For example, something is very wrong with the running backwards speed. Another problem (probably a 'feature') is that on Nightmare difficulty you can't restore health above 50 with first aid kits.

New episode looks and plays cool. But it uses custom entities which means that it may work wrongly on a decent source-port.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

^ Top  
  24. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    Riskbreaker HEY RISKY, YOU WANT A CITATION?

HOW'S THIS: BETTER GAMEPLAY

YEAH. Enjoy your "MORE GAME MODES" in UT but then wind up playing the same game modes you have in Q3 since that's all people give a shit about, only now it's with inferior gameplay with worse firepower and sluggish movement. I'll be bunny hopping, rocket jumping, and moving like a crackhead enraged and in heat while hitting spectacular railgun shots the likes of which you've never seen.

YOU LIKE THAT CITATION? Because I do. Don't ever try that again, hombre.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Stop arguing about gayorgyplayer and don your singleplayer monocle like real men

:whatho:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.