Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quality RPGs without epic storylines.

Destroid

Arcane
A thought just occured to me, it seems we are always battling to defeat eternal evil risen once again or the alien threat to the universe, if anyone knows some good RPGs that do NOT have an epic storyline where you must save the world from certain doom with only your strong sword arm or trusty blaster rifle, then please, share them.

Fallout and Torment of course, and I guess you could say Shadows of Amn since it was less "save the world" and more solve your own problem(s) and such. But Shadows of Amn did have that taint of epic though, but it was bearable.

Of course Arcanum might qualify....but....well.....I really can't say it without spoiling it....but it's worth checking out regardless.

Wasteland....well....I guess it isn't all that nonsense.

Might want to check out Ultima 4-7.

Also a shameless Age of Decadence plug here too.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fallout has no epic story-line?
a shame on you ;) In both fallouts you end up saving this fucking world.

skyway said:
Fallout has no epic story-line?
a shame on you ;) In both fallouts you need to save this fucking world.

But Dr. Grey wasn't really a bad guy....hell he was actually a pretty nice guy. I mean, the Lou was a sadistic, arrogant bigot and Morpheus was a bit of a pompous ass, but Grey's vision was a fair enough one and he was being pretty altruistic in his motives, especially for the power he commanded.

MetalCraze

Arcane
But Dr. Grey wasn't really a bad guy
Yeah, Richard Grey designed some levels for doom and quake games if I'm right... so after all probably you are right :)
But President... Oooh... I so enjoyed planting random shit in his pockets.

If there is a game that can't be called epic it's VtM: Bloodlines.

*thinks*
well actually it's... pseudo-epic. all the game you think that you have to save the world and in the end... *here goes random spoilers that ruin the plot completely and making me receive some points to my chaotic evil alignment*

But despite all annoying bugs that are fixed by fan-patches already the game stands as an example at how action/rpgs SHOULD BE. Love it :) The "chinese-vampire" ending is awesome =)

tardtastic

Scholar
i only played the first fifteen minutes of "Earthbound", but if that counts as an rpg and nothing much else happens in the game then it might qualify because the worst enemy i ever fought was a crowhttp://www.michaelbarrier.com/Funnyworld/FritzPartTwo/Crow.jpg :(
also try "battle for columbine"

Someone should make an RPG where you're just really hungry and horny and want lots of money, and that's all there is to it. Kind of like "Pirates!". but with dialogue choices.[/code]

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nah, the final boss in Mother 2/Earthbound wants to destroy all life muahaha.

That fight was awesome[ly tedious].

stargelman

Scholar
skyway said:
But despite all annoying bugs that are fixed by fan-patches already the game stands as an example at how action/rpgs SHOULD BE. Love it :) The "chinese-vampire" ending is awesome =)
I couldn't agree more. Bloodlines is a aRPG in perfection. You get all the action you could possibly want, and you still get plenty of roleplaying, good dialog, meaningful choices. (well, mostly towards the end, but oh well)

Also, I don't think I know any aRPG with better music. Of course I'd say that, being a fan of most of the bands that contributed to the soundtrack.

MetalCraze

Arcane
[fanboy ranting]and a design and a design is superior duh[/fanboy ranting]

But you see - the problem is - most classic rpgs are all about saving the world.
Also wait till KotOR2 restoration mod which will fix bugs and return cut-content to the game including endings. Because I completed KotOR2 4 times and still doubt that it goes on epic levels - you can't tell clearly because bugs killed many aspects of story-line and btw in the end it looks like PC fighting for his life (I do not mean exact 'fighting') than for others. But I think cut-content should clear everything.

Jora

Arcane
Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome.

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines

Deleted member 7219

Ahem.

Gothic I, Gothic II.

In Gothic I your aim was to get the hell out of the prison colony, in Gothic II your aim was to get the hell off the island.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Matt7895 said:
Ahem.

Gothic I, Gothic II.

In Gothic I your aim was to get the hell out of the prison colony, in Gothic II your aim was to get the hell off the island.

You sir, are a faggot.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GeneralSamov said:
I'd rather donate my boner to Somalia than insert it into anything male.
Except, of course, for a condom.

Perhaps instead of "for" he mean "using."

GeneralSamov

Prophet
No.
Ok let's rephrase it, I'd rather donate my boner to Somalia instead of inserting it into anything male. Except, of course, for a condom.

Condom: male. Any bells ringing already? ohh what a beautiful mess!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
GeneralSamov said:
No.
Ok let's rephrase it, I'd rather donate my boner to Somalia instead of inserting it into anything male. Except, of course, for a condom.

That doesn't make sense. Not in English.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
No.

That doesn't make sense. Not in English.

No problem. Just don't whine about any "dumfuck auditions" or "striving to become a dumbfuck" by me.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Matt7895 said:
Ahem.

Gothic I, Gothic II.

The goal of G2 never seemed to be "get the hell off the island" to me. You wake up, Xardas tells you about an army of darkness led by evil dragons, and of course you have to solve the problem. That's pretty epic.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
And in G1 your main goal was never to escape the dome, yes it was the most obvious shallow idea, but the game didn't really try to tell you "TRY ESCAPING ASAP", but rather explore the world. That is, until the nameless met some people with more info and more charisma (magicians, Xardas especially, Gomez, Y'Berion and so on.).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom