Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quality RPGs without epic storylines.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
GeneralSamov said:
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
No.
Ok let's rephrase it, I'd rather donate my boner to Somalia instead of inserting it into anything male. Except, of course, for a condom.

Condom: male. Any bells ringing already? ohh what a beautiful mess!

That doesn't make sense. Not in English.

No problem. Just don't whine about any "dumfuck auditions" or "striving to become a dumbfuck" by me.

...I will simply assume your English is very poor. Good luck with it!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I know most people here frown on the console rpgs (and haven't played them for that matter) but there was a great one on the genesis based on Shadowrun. Lots of cool skill uses, like hacking doorlocks, computers, fastalking all sorts of people, needing high reputation to get the right contacts, etc. Storyline was pretty linear, but the game wasn't really about the storyline, it was more about aquiring power (And not just physically, but reputation and information wise too) and that part wasn't linear at all. And it wasn't some save the world crap either; just a guy out for revenge. Some cool choices to make about your character too, since cyberware was limited, non reversable and had some side effects. They definitely could have done a lot more with individual repuations with various gangs/contacts/corporations/johnsons/runners, but for a game on the genesis, Shadowrun kicked ass.

Deleted member 7219

I disagree. You did have to do with all the dragons and evil stuff but what did you do right after? That's right, leave the island.

The quest to get rid of all the evil stuff was only just a precursor to the main aim to get off the island.

Ladonna

Arcane
Without a goal, some sort of overarching goal anyway, an RPG eventually gets stale. What kind of goals that are non epic can any of you think of? Bear in mind it needs to be good enough to entice players to keep playing.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
No.
Ok let's rephrase it, I'd rather donate my boner to Somalia instead of inserting it into anything male. Except, of course, for a condom.

No problem. Just don't whine about any "dumfuck auditions" or "striving to become a dumbfuck" by me.

I admit my English isn't perfect, but it's damn good in comparison to others from my country, and by the way you're wrong. My English is poor, but in this case you're proving yours sucks outright.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ladonna said:
Without a goal, some sort of overarching goal anyway, an RPG eventually gets stale. What kind of goals that are non epic can any of you think of? Bear in mind it needs to be good enough to entice players to keep playing.

Revenge is always something good, and a lot more personal than save the world.

Also, becoming a powerful guy/gal to dominate the world would also be fun [okay, that's kinda epic, but at least you're put at the other side of the "save the world" setting].

And, of course, political intrigue, betrayal, treason, all of that stuff is interesting, too, and can have a lot more depth than the epic stuff.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
GeneralSamov said:
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
Jasede said:
GeneralSamov said:
No.

I admit my English isn't perfect, but it's damn good in comparison to others from my country, and by the way you're wrong. My English is poor, but in this case you're proving yours sucks outright.

Keep on truckin', cougar!
~From Germany with love

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I thought you were giving up. How in all that is good is a condom "male"? It's not even a phallic shape unless you actually use it, hence it's not male. It makes no sense!

Destroid

Arcane
Ladonna said:

As JarlFrank said, revenge is the main motivator that comes to mind, and frankly, I was expecting to hear about more games that had it as a primary goal. This is an example of the kind of personal goals I am looking for when I talk about non-epic RPGs.

Of the games mentioned here I have played a few of them, notably Ultima VI, in which I believe you save the world of Brittania from Gargoyles (although I was young at the time and never completed it) and Fallout, in which you rescue the surviving communities on the United States east coast from the army of mutants. I have dabbled with VtMB, although I did not play very far through it, same deal with Baldur's Gate and Albion (played the demo as a child and thought it seemed really good).

I have not played either of the Gothic games, KotoR or Baldur's Gate 2, is it worth playing BG2 without having played the first one through? I will have to checkout the oldies that I can get from Underdogs or elsewhere, thanks for the suggestions.

Also: Condoms, male? wtf?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Destroid said:
Of the games mentioned here I have played a few of them, notably Ultima VI, in which I believe you save the world of Brittania from Gargoyles (although I was young at the time and never completed it)

Actually, you will later not save the world from them and instead learn about their culture and all that stuff. I won't tell too much spoilers, but the game is mainly about tolerance and understanding of different cultures, not about saving the world from anything.

Also,
Destroid said:
Condoms, male? wtf?

Destroid

Arcane
Cool, after I got bored trying to collect virtues I just travelled randomly using the red portals from the moonstone and boats with my large party and bags full of millions of lightning wands and other assorted goods slaughtering whatever I came across. I did enjoy that game a great deal, although I guess I never progressed that far through the story (it was very well packaged too, came with a cloth map and real moonstone to match the one in the game).

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I have to say Gothic 1 and 2 as far as i can name the ones i played , they never made me feel like i was on an epic quest, Gothic 1 was more about getting along in the colony and trying not to be someones bitch.

Top Hat

Scholar
Jasede said:
Actually, I thought you were giving up. How in all that is good is a condom "male"? It's not even a phallic shape unless you actually use it, hence it's not male. It makes no sense!

Does this have anything to do with "condom" being a masculine noun in some language?

Wait, what?

It's not even a phallic shape unless you actually use it, hence it's not male.

There are lots of male creatures which are not phallic shaped.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I am well aware, I meant "male shape".

Now, if you look up I already said that it makes no sense in *English*. I am quite sure that condom is male in Italian for example, but his sentence still makes little sense in English, amirite?

Top Hat

Scholar
Jasede said:
I am well aware, I meant "male shape".

Now, if you look up I already said that it makes no sense in *English*. I am quite sure that condom is male in Italian for example, but his sentence still makes little sense in English, amirite?

urrite.

RGE

Liturgist
And another thing didn't make sense either: you don't stick your penis into a condom, do you? You roll the condom on, right? Unless it's one of those reusable condoms made from durable animal intestines. Hm. Interesting. :?

Ladonna said:
How about a good old fashioned investigation? :D

GeneralSamov

Prophet
RGE said:
And another thing didn't make sense either: you don't stick your penis into a condom, do you? You roll the condom on, right? Unless it's one of those reusable condoms made from durable animal intestines. Hm. Interesting. :?

That's called nitpicking, and 'sticking' wasn't meant literally, but metaphorically.

As for the word "condom", you'll have to excuse me, but in any language I know (and I know about 5, from 3 different roots - latin, germanic and slavic) it figures as a male noun, even in German (and English is a Germanic language) you say "Das Kondom", implying it's a male noun. Now English appears to be different, although it's so messed up I couldn't figure which sex it actually is even after browsing around on various dictionaries. I figure it's not female sex, so is it neutral (or whatever the fuck it's called) or what? Btw. English sux. You can't even have a rule of thumb about shaping words in different contexts and you'll eventually fuck up, unless you know around every single possible outcome.

Other than that, the only "weirdness" I can think of in my sentence is the use of the word "instead" for which purpose a better word might have been "than".

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Uhm "das Kondom" is neutral, it would need to be "der Kondom" if it should me male. Unless youre talking about something entirely else I'm not getting.

And I still don't get your pun, could you explain again?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Your "weirdness" was that in English words don't have sex, hence your statement made no sense.

p.s.: In German, a condom is neutrum.

Das Kondom
Des Kondom(e(n))s
Dem Kondom(e)
Das Kondom.

Hory

Erudite
GeneralSamov said:
Other than that, the only "weirdness" I can think of in my sentence is the use of the word "instead" for which purpose a better word might have been "than".
Oh, no, it is weird in general. We have "noun genders" in my language too, but I don't recall anyone joking about the connection between "males" and the way some words are constructed. And if they did, it wouldn't be funny, since that connection isn't relevant in any way to the nature of what a "male" is.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GeneralSamov said:
As for the word "condom", you'll have to excuse me, but in any language I know (and I know about 5, from 3 different roots - latin, germanic and slavic) it figures as a male noun, even in German (and English is a Germanic language) you say "Das Kondom", implying it's a male noun.

Uhm, no, Das = neutral article, not male. So, basically, you proved yourself wrong, and jokes aren't funny anyways if they have to be explained and are told in a language in which they don't work [with english not having noun genders].

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GuiltyBystander said:
Well, maybe he meant a MULTI-HEADED condom... Does that make his 'joke' funny? *shrug*

No, because Multiheaded Condoms are not male, either. Well, maybe they would be if they were hitting ass and leg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom