Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quality RPGs without epic storylines.

Hory

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
GuiltyBystander said:
Well, maybe he meant a MULTI-HEADED condom... Does that make his 'joke' funny? *shrug*

No, because Multiheaded Condoms are not male, either. Well, maybe they would be if they were hitting ass and leg.
Depends... do the ass and leg belong to males or females? Or both?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hory said:
JarlFrank said:
GuiltyBystander said:
Well, maybe he meant a MULTI-HEADED condom... Does that make his 'joke' funny? *shrug*

No, because Multiheaded Condoms are not male, either. Well, maybe they would be if they were hitting ass and leg.
Depends... do the ass and leg belong to males or females? Or both?

The rampage of the multi-headed dick doesn't care if the ass and leg are male or female, it just hits every ass and leg that is in his way.

Alex

Arcane
Ladonna said:
Without a goal, some sort of overarching goal anyway, an RPG eventually gets stale. What kind of goals that are non epic can any of you think of? Bear in mind it needs to be good enough to entice players to keep playing.

What about Darklands? Wasn't it basically a rpg without a goal? Sure, there was an story about someone summoning a demon, but you didn't know about it right from the start.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Well I basically probved my knowledge in Germanic languages is lacking and needs a bit of fueling, but the whole circus around the "funniness" of my sentence is simply out of place, because it wan't intended as a joke. Maybe it had a somewhat funny smell to it, but nothing intentional.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Elhoim said:
Don't worry, at least in spanish is male...

Basically in (almost) any latin or slavic language it is... ah well I'm still of the opinion that my sentence makes *at least* *a little* sense in terms of getting the point across.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This thread needs more pregnant clerics
clericpreggos.jpg

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any advantage to giving inanimate, non-gendered objects masculine/feminine names? It seems efficient when used for titles of people: brother/sister is simply hermono/hermana in Spanish and son/daughter is simply hijo/hija. Admittedly, I only know English and a bit of Spanish, but this practice seems entirely useless to me.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Is there any advantage to giving inanimate, non-gendered objects masculine/feminine names?

The "gender" defines the article you use to refer to the object in question: El or La (it's like The in english).

For example, the house is " la casa". It's "female", but that doesn't mean there is a "male" house. It just defines which article you must use to refer to it, either El o La.

It seems efficient when used for titles of people: brother/sister is simply hermono/hermana in Spanish and son/daughter is simply hijo/hija.

It's also very useful in other situations when in english there is only one word for both genres. For example (male/female):

Friend: Amigo / Amiga.
Cousin: Primo / Prima.
Artist: El artista / La artista.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elhoim said:
The "gender" defines the article you use to refer to the object in question: El or La (it's like The in english).

For example, the house is " la casa". It's "female", but that doesn't mean there is a "male" house. It just defines which article you must use to refer to it, either El o La.

I understand, but I don't see how that's advantageous at all compared to a single, non-gendered article like "the." It seems even more of an inconvenience when you consider things like "las manos."

Elhoim said:
It's also very useful in other situations when in english there is only one word for both genres. For example (male/female):

Friend: Amigo / Amiga.
Cousin: Primo / Prima.
Artist: El artista / La artista.

I completely forgot about this! This is very convenient. In English you need to preface such words with "male" or "female" or risk ambiguity.

Random thought: I think it'd be impossible to translate the SNL "Pat" sketch into Spanish without ruining all the jokes.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Digital devil saga #1 and #2, and Nocture stray away from these type of stories.

Funny how some people focus on gameplay, but less on story. Then it's the other way around for other developers. We've seen great gameplay mechanics, so why can't we just use what we've learned to create fresh universes and compelling stories? Or are we still too scared to experiment?

katzenjammer

Novice
I think cliched storylines have become an RPG staple because games are too combat-orientated. Epic, save-the-world plots are the easiest way to justify why the hero can slaughter thousands of creatures and still get away with a clean conscience. Oh, he's just driving back the evil horde of invading whatevers. Don't sweat it.

What needs to happen is for developers to be innovative and really flesh out gameplay mechanics that could displace the gratuitous amount of time we spend fighting baddies. Once endless violence is no longer de rigeur, we're bound to see some real progress in storytelling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom