Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quantum Break - now available on Steam

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hes walking around like hes

tumblr_inline_mqwvr5md6T1s4uq79.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yup. The other day I wanted to play some quick Dynasty Warriors 8 with my brother. We turned on the PS3, and had to wait for 25 minutes while he downloaded mandatory updates. We just gave up. :?

Also Quantum Break guy is so amazing that he can stop time when time is stopped already. Talk about writing yourself into a corner.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yup. The other day I wanted to play some quick Dynasty Warriors 8 with my brother. We turned on the PS3, and had to wait for 25 minutes while he downloaded mandatory updates. We just gave up. :?
How is this relevant in this thread? :D

Anyway, I just hate it that you can't have a AAA game nowadays without it being basicly a boring cover shooter, with some tacked on gimmick.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks interesting. Now if the time freeze wasn't a gimmick and you could actually do things to the environment while it is active. Like taking the guns from the cops.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-than-a-run-of-the-mill-third-person-shooter
Is there more to Quantum Break than run-of-the-mill third-person shooting?
Time will tell.

jpg

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Wednesday, 20 August 2014

You've seen the gameplay demo: Jack Joyce, the nondescript every-man hero of Xbox One exclusive Quantum Break, fights evil corporation goons in what looks like run-of-the-mill third-person cover shooting, made ever-so-slightly different by a dash of clichéd time powers and the odd exploding car. Slow down time to escape, throw a time bubble to catch bullets, rush enemies for a takedown, that sort of thing. Sure, the next game from Remedy, the team behind Max Payne and Alan Wake, looks pretty enough, but the action - what we've seen of it, anyway - just looks sort of okay.

But during a behind-closed-doors presentation at Gamescom last week, creative director Sam Lake extended the gameplay demo with a 19-minute playthrough that suggested there's more to Quantum Break than what we'd seen during Microsoft's Gamescom press conference - and it's this stuff that has piqued my interest.

After the on-stage demo ends, Jack needs to navigate the collapsing bridge - get from A to B, essentially - in a linear fashion. What makes this journey interesting is that the entire area is caught in what Remedy calls a time stutter, and within that stutter, pockets of time are breaking apart. Timelines for objects, some as big as trucks, are caught in destructive loops, so shift back and forth. Jack uses his time powers to temporarily slow down these objects, then must quickly run forward before they start moving again. There are a few leaps of faith, platform jumps that Jack just about makes. It's old-school 3D platforming, in a way.

The section we're shown, of a bridge being destroyed by an errant cargo ship that has crashed into it, is incredibly detailed. It looks as if Remedy has actually mapped out how the parts of the bridge would react to having a ship smash into it, then cherry-picked from the wreckage parts to jerk in and out of time. It's all an illusion, of course, but a compelling one. The crashing of concrete and twisting of metal is spectacular to watch and, because of the constant looping back and forth, it has an odd, hypnotic quality to it.

So, Quantum Break involves platforming. But what else? Here's where the "entertainment experience" part of the game comes in. Lake calls Quantum Break "a fusion of a cinematic action game and a top-of-the-line live-action show". Both ship on the same disc. Here's how that works.

Quantum Break, the game, is about heroes such as Jack. The show is about villains. Lake calls the show an "edgy, modern TV series" in which you follow the schemes and power plays inside Monarch Solutions, the big bad corporation behind the time collapse at the fictional east coast university town of Riverport.

Each act of the game ends with a "junction in time", and here you get to play the bad guy, Paul Serene. This is Remedy's interactive take on the classic action-movie scene where we see the bad guy plotting and scheming. Serene has the most powerful time power of all: the ability to see visions of different potential futures. When you play as him you explore and investigate two of these glimpses and then make a decision about which comes to pass. Then you watch an episode of the show that reflects that decision. "For the show we are shooting alternate scenes, and depending on your choice you will get your own version of the show," Lake explains. "Watching the show, you will see certain things that will feed back to the next act of the game and give you an advantage."

Will it work? It's hard to tell right now, but Jack comes across as such an uninteresting character that I'm looking forward to playing the bad guy, Paul Serene, in the hope he's got more going on. Whatever your take on the whole TV, TV, TV thing Microsoft trumpeted ahead of the launch of the Xbox One, at least the way TV works with Quantum Break makes for something a little different. And, at the end of the day, if you don't like the show you can skip it, although Lake says playing the game and watching the show is the "optimal experience".

"It's the extension of the same thing as in a story-driven game where the player is free to skip all the cinematics if they want," he says. "They will be missing out and not experiencing the full experience. It's up to the player. It's an interactive experience and that's how it should be."

jpg

I keep coming back to concern over the combat, though, in the absence of more information about the story (Remedy is going against its own grain here and talking less about Quantum Break's story than it tended to do with its previous games). What I've seen of the shooting fails to inspire, but Remedy promises that as players progress through the game, fighting enemies will get a lot more interesting.

When the game begins, Jack's time powers are limited and, for the player, easy to learn. They're all governed by the same energy meter that regenerates over time (the gameplay demo regenerates energy a lot quicker than it will in the final version of the game, Remedy notes). The time rush move we see in the gameplay video, which lets you get close to enemies for a takedown, starts as a time dodge designed to help you escape tricky situations. But during the demo, which is lifted from the middle of the game, Jack can use this dodge move for a longer period of time so it can be used as the time rush.

Another example: Jack's time stop power, which we see him almost fire out of his hands as a bubble. This starts as something that affects a single character. But later in the game Jack gains more control over it, so can aim the bubble where he wants and increase its size, turning it into a sort of area-of-effect spell.

All the powers progress in this way as you play, but there's no tech tree. Powers evolve and unlock according to the pacing set out by Remedy. "In one part, Quantum Break is a superhero origin story," Lake says. "Jack is that hero and his powers start to manifest and he is learning to use them as the player is learning to use them."

And the combat set-ups get more complicated, too. At the end of the gameplay demo, Jack goes up against two heavy-duty Monarch enemies who use technology to operate inside time stutters. The combat here only gets interesting when Jack sends a car speeding towards them (one of his powers is the ability to add momentum to objects that are frozen in time). Later, time stutters will have a lot more going on, with timelines similar to those we saw in the platforming section causing objects to violently loop within the environment.

"In stutter combat, there are always unique aspects, like things you can destroy or cars you can shoot," Lake explains. "The stutter in its calmer state attempts to always go back to its original state. So if you shoot at the car, it explodes, that explosion freezes, it does damage to anyone close by, but then after a moment it rewinds back to its original state. So in that sense there are tools and dangers that can be used multiple times in the stutter because it's always going back and forth."

jpg

The nature of publisher press conferences means developers have only a handful of minutes to show off their games, and for Remedy and Quantum Break it was no exception. Like so many developers before it, the Finnish studio picked a sequence it felt would entertain as much as inform. But the end result was, for me, pretty forgettable.

It was the extended presentation that revived my interest in Remedy's latest effort. I still have concerns - like, what's quantum about Quantum Break? - and Jack, bless him, just isn't doing anything for me at all. But I know this: there's a lot more to the game than third-person shooting. Will it all come together in the way I hope? Time will tell.

Caribbean Druid

Educated
Remedy, in my opinion, is one of the best developers there is. I couldn't find any major fault in Max Payne, its sequel and Alan Wake. Three truly brilliant games. Needless to say, I have high hopes for Quantum Break.

Caribbean Druid

Educated
I troll in the open, with my main (lurker) account. :outrage:

What can I say, I honestly think that Alan Wake was a very entertaining, well-written game. I do recognize that other gamers must have been put off by the repetitiveness of its gameplay and were probably disappointed by the ending, which was less than satisfying, but I could never be bothered by these aspects. In my opinion, AW is one of those games that are worth more than the sum of their parts, if you allow yourself to get immersed in the narrative.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My suspension of disbelief ended when his wife was afraid of the dark.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Remedy, in my opinion, is one of the best developers there is. I couldn't find any major fault in Max Payne, its sequel and Alan Wake. Three truly brilliant games. Needless to say, I have high hopes for Quantum Break.

Do you happen to be blind, by any chance?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll look forward to the Poets of the Fall songs, if they make any unique songs specific for the game. Otherwise it looks like Remedy is trying to be even more popamole than Alan Wake.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Point is with the advancement of technology instead of building on the first couple of Max Payne games they just make shitty 2deep4u popamole. I don't see how anyone could think Alan Wake was anything beyond mediocre.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I remember that Alan Wake was hated before it even came out.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer_p2.html

I have a still-unopened copy of Remedy's Alan Wake, a just-released game I've been anticipating for about five years, which I'm saving for some free weekend. It's an atmospheric horror tale which reviewers assure me is on the cutting edge of non-ridiculous video game storytelling. But I'm browsing around gaming blogs and message boards and I'm getting worried. I see dozens of comments like this:

23745.jpg

Oh-oh. What's the complaint that has everyone up in arms? Is there a cheap twist at the end? Is the main character two-dimensional? Is there a frustrating minigame where you have to carefully groom Alan's pubic hair?

No. It turns out somebody took a screenshot of the game, zoomed in 500 percent and counted up the pixels to make sure every frame was rendering at the maximum 720p resolution the Xbox 360 is capable of.

23746.jpg

It turned out some parts of some frames weren't. All hell broke loose. Here are hundreds of posts on the subject at gaming forum NeoGaf. Here are hundreds more at B3D. Here's 2,000 posts on the subject at the Alan Wake site.

On some level we know this is wrong, because we know to hold films to a different standard. We know that advances in CGI couldn't save the Star Wars prequels, and that pretty 3D doesn't make Avatar the best movie of the year. Yet, in the next breath after mocking Avatar fans as slack-jawed yokels easily amused by a cheap technical gimmick, we will fly into a rage if some new game's technical gimmicks aren't up to par.

23747.jpg

Nothing else matters. Who's that woman Alan is talking to up there? Where are they going? How does it play into the story? What emotions is this scene going to elicit? Tension? Dread? Humor? HOW CAN YOU WORRY ABOUT SUCH THINGS WHEN THE ROLL CAGE ON HIS PICKUP TRUCK ONLY HAS A 19:25 PIXEL RATIO.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Alan Wake was okay. I felt that the mechanics were too repetitive, however. Flashlight and gun and run and flashlight again... Maybe i should give it a try again, this time till the end. Maybe there's a gameplay twist later on?

Max Payne, however, was a masterpiece. 1 & 2 are fantastic games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking forward to this. Hopefully we will not have to wait very long for the inevitable PC port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom