Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Quantum Break - now available on Steam

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-01-quantum-break-review

^ Top  
  2. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    What I'm getting from this is: by-the-numbers cinematic cover shooter with clumsy movement and merely serviceable gunplay, that is somewhat saved by its presentation and by protagonist's time manipulation abilities (that are apparently taken away from him every now and then).

Alan Wake's gameplay was tolerable due to its mood and environments. This on the other hand looks horribly bland, with even less though put into actual game.

And no, it's not ":hero:" at all. Remedy can and ought do much better than that. To see them reduced to this is genuinely sad, as is the possibility of them going away if this thing fails to sell.

^ Top  
  3. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hence the :hero:
    I pressed "F" to pay my respects.:cry:

^ Top  
  4. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Remedy is one company where I don't give a flying shit about reviews. Alan had shit gameplay and reviews too and I had an absolute blast with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    Corrirdor shooter without sandbox world (aka yet another Uncharted): Check
    Some Michael Bay unique-ass mechanics to make hype about: Check
    Spamming Batman-eqsue vision-ability to find collectibles and other stupid crap: Check
    Popamole: Check

Summary: Would not buy. :keepmymoney:

^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2016-05-04-quantum-break-pc-where-s-our-review-bad-port

Show Spoiler

PC launch seems to be proceeding as expected.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I'm sure it got nothing to do with this shitty UWP.

Damn I'd have actually bought it if it were on Steam. Stupid stupid Microsoft.

^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    That Bradford...
    [​IMG]
    what are you talking about man? It can't be...
    [​IMG]
    :hmmm:
    did the devs working on the PC version just get used to alt-F4ing out of the game and figured it'd be no big deal? Really?
    [​IMG]

So you play shooter on PC and have urge to grab controller?
    absolutelydisgusting.bmp

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    Max Payne was initially a PC-only third-person shooter, which stood out from other games because it allowed you to manipulate time and was visually influenced by 80's and 90's action movies. They never attempted to make an interactive movie, though, and even resented the term when they were asked about it in various interviews. This was for a good reason, as they had obviously put a ton of work into making the gameplay as enjoyable and smooth as possible, to a point where it was damn near flawless, with very responsive controls and satisfying gunplay — they knew that they were making an action game, so they made sure the action was as good as possible. The game was also (mostly) gorgeous without requiring a monster computer to run properly.

Quantum Break is similiarly a third-person shooter with time manipulation as its gimmick. However, instead of just being stylistically influenced by movies and TV series, it actually makes you watch one, so that the term "interactive TV series" is kind of correct. As if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a multiplatform game with an apparenty shitty PC port that runs like crap and barely knows how to make use of mouse and keyboard. And of course it also has a cover system.

It sucks that it has come to this with Remedy.

^ Top  
  10. tormund Arcane

tormund
    Another quality Win Store release. I have a feeling that we won't see many more of them from MS.

This explains why PC version was barely mentioned despite its parallel release, and why even their friendly journos didn't see anything of it nor received their review codes.

^ Top  
  11. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    "Thanks lord athe, and glorious anita sarkesian, that we don't need to test another product, of our masters, on these devilish machines called pee-cees."

^ Top  
  12. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    But we really want to get in PC gaming again!!
    Next time :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Inb4 10GB Day 1 patch fixing ~1000 bugs and doubling performance. Sorry guize, the journos received an outdated review copy.

^ Top  
  14. Silly Rabbit Learned

Silly Rabbit
    MS delivers again!
    What a fucking shitshow:

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO.
    Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p SAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program.
    If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960 SAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440 SAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Quantum-Break-Spiel-15745/Specials/Technik-Test-1191358/

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. tormund Arcane

tormund
    http://archive.is/cwLU2
    :dead:
    Also, only funny thing about that eye-patch "punishment" for pirates is that, since this game isn't cracked yet, only people who are getting eyepatches are legit buyers who are playing their game without being logged in.:D

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  16. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    I have a feeling they will keep pushing turds like this out from the windows store for a long time before they give up...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Which engine is running the game ?

^ Top  
  18. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Originally I was going to buy QB just because CIA was in it, but not even Winbotnet 10 and pure popamole can make me submit to the memes.

^ Top  
  20. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    So not only does the game suck, Remedy managed to make one of the worst ports ever?

Hope they go under after this, like they deserve to.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Remedy's own Northlight engine.

^ Top  
  22. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    To be fair here, MS probably holds significant share of responsibility for this port's shittyness. Remedy probably couldn't allocate enough resources and manpower for PC port, and I doubt that MS provided much funds or assistance for its development, but they were still expected to ship it alongside the Xbox version.

^ Top  
  23. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Still hoping the two excremental walled garden platforms this likewise excremental game was made for shall bomb horribly.

^ Top  
  24. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    It takes a huge talent to fuck up a PC version of game on your own fucking system especially when you are biggest company in IT and diverging resources for that port shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  25. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    It's not that bad. It's playable but it can be better. I'm sure Remedy will cook up something.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.