Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quantum Break - now available on Steam

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like it was well received in Steam. Not selling very well, though (around 20K according to Steamspy)

Anyway, looks like Remedy recorded part of the videos using an unregistered version of FRAPS, check out the watermark at the top of the screen (no spoilers):

Cheap fucks :lol:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
steam version is still locked in 720p with upscaling

http://steamcommunity.com/app/474960/discussions/0/350543712147930934/
Does the game render in a native resolution?
When upscaling is turned on in the game’s display settings, the game outputs a temporal reconstruction from four previous lower resolution 4x MSAA frames. This approach gets us high pixel quality in combination with complex shading and effects. The game’s engine takes full advantage of the reconstruction technique, and while turning upscaling off makes the game render in native resolution, it’s also extremely demanding performance-wise.

remedy, what the fuck? you aren't some shitty japanese game developer porting their game for the first time. you've made 3 PC games with great PC version. what the everloving fuck happened to you guys?

:dead:

DemonKing

Arcane
Saw this has finally dropped substantially in price - thinking about giving it a whirl as I enjoyed the Max Payne series (not so much Alan Wake). Steam users seem to like it but critic reviews are so so.

Not sure about the FMV. Max Payne 3 dragged a lot when control as constantly sucked away from you as you were forced to watcha cutscene.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I bought this 50% off on steam because I like Remedy shooters. But this game is so badly optimized I had to refund it. GTX1070, GPU being used to 80% instead of 99%, and yet framerate stutters like shit.

WTF Remedy. Max 1/2/AW were all beautiful and well performing.

J1M

Arcane
The plot and acting in this is above average for a AAA game. The combat is ok. Would not recommend a purchase unless they fix the draw resolution mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Unless a dev is giving a game away for free, upscaling shimmer is unforgivable. Especially when it is done in the name of image 'quality'.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm enjoying it so far and not having any issues (1060 GTX) with everything on max. I just got past the first extended TV "episode" which wasn't terrible for what it was. I thought the combat was awful it first, but once I got a few more powers it improved a bit. I hate the disappearing bodies though...

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm enjoying it so far and not having any issues (1060 GTX) with everything on max. I just got past the first extended TV "episode" which wasn't terrible for what it was. I thought the combat was awful it first, but once I got a few more powers it improved a bit. I hate the disappearing bodies though...

Do you mean you have 60FPS stable without drops with everything on max including upscaling disabled in 1080p ? Because I am gonna call bullshit on that unless you have GTX1060 from some other dimension

DemonKing

Arcane
Do you mean you have 60FPS stable without drops with everything on max including upscaling disabled in 1080p ? Because I am gonna call bullshit on that unless you have GTX1060 from some other dimension

No - I don't need a stable 60FPS to enjoy a game. I find anything above around 25FPS is fine (similar to a feature film). I haven't done any benchmarking as the game is running smooth for me (just not "60FPS smooth"). Certainly no discernable frame rate stutters as you've described.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane

No - I don't need a stable 60FPS to enjoy a game. I find anything above around 25FPS is fine (similar to a feature film) fine. I haven't done any benchmarking as the game is running smooth for me (just not "60FPS smooth"). Certainly no discernable frame rate stutters as you've described.
Ok, so we have completely different standards of playability, fair enough

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I somehow got this from some bundle or something, so I figured I'd try it out. And like David Cage and his Quantic Dream (What's with these names?) it's like Remedy just really wants to make bad movies and TV shows instead of having to do the trudgery of making an actual game.

But the thing is, during the first fucking TV episode (which also is longer than like, an episode of Breaking Bad, so probably reconsider what your life's time is worth to you) you see a shadow of the fucking camera on the shoulder of the black dude from The Wire. Like, if you want to make this TV show so badly and you hire these big-time fucking actors, you populate the crew with some amateur-hour bullshit like that? What an embarrassment.

Gameplay sucks and is boring as heck and I keep dying at some trial and error part where a boat falls on me. 10/10 GOTY.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I made it to the end of chapter 2 and deleted it. I rarely speak so harshly about a game, but Quantum Break fucking sucks. The mediocre action is chopped up by so much bad, tedious storytelling. Actually, I chronicled my playthrough before I deleted it.

1. Looks pretty. Runs badly. Have to lower everything to medium-low.
  2. Why can't I turn off the disgusting motion blur?
  3. The crouch is automatic. That's a boring way to do it. Why does he need to crouch all the time? He even crouches when he's behind a pillar, as if only the bottom part will protect him.
  4. The recoil is crazy bad.
  5. At least the controls and animations are responsive.
  6. Why do the bullets get fatter as they travel? Well, I know why. They want you to be able to see them at a distance. But it looks fake.
  7. Why can't I shoot without holding aim and using the over-the-shoulder view? I'm waiting to see what the shoot button does when you're not holding the right mouse button. Right now it doesn't do anything at all. I'm assuming there's no melee, since he has infinite pistol ammo.
  8. The story so far has been unintentionally funny, with all the ridiculous time stuff.
  9. The time mechanics make so little sense that it's hard to take them seriously even in sci-fi. And the story wants to be taken seriously. He can manipulate parts of the environment while the rest continues in normal time. How do those isolated areas not get torn out of existence, with the universe always moving?
  10. I can't believe the heavy pistol only has four bullets.
  11. The time powers could be fun, later.
  12. Why is the cast from The Wire here? What is this obsession with Hollywood faces in games? Why not use the medium to create something unique?
  13. Man, these cinematics are so frequent and LONG. Story seems to be going all over the place. What was the point of showing the henchman with his pregnant girlfriend/wife?
  14. Okay, I'm seeing now that he's gonna be an important character. But this long-ass show isn't interesting. Also, why do the live action cutscenes auto-resume after I Alt + Tab back to the game? I miss part of them because the screen is still black for like two seconds.
  15. Lol, it's pretty obvious the fights are cut like this (chopped up) because the actors can't fight. Would have been easier as a CG cutscene.
  16. Oh great, an upgrade menu now. I'd rather be playing than looking at options. I was hoping this wasn't one of those games. But the AAA action games are ALL like that now.
  17. I thought this was a shooter. There's not enough action.
  18. It's funny that the characters keep talking to you even as you explore the environments. I'm in the train yard. I can't even hear the girl anymore, yet she's still talking.
  19. I bet this would look really pretty with high settings.
  20. I'm liking these time powers. The battle ones. But is this really hard mode? I'm pretty sure I selected hard. Why is this easy?
  21. The exploration parts aren't gameplay. Pressing V to reveal the secret and then holding Q to fix the environment, in every situation, without any thought, isn't gameplay.
  22. Deleted. Fuck Remedy.

Codex Year of the Donut
died and got reset back like 30 minutes and alt-f4'd, game isn't good enough for me to redo all that tbh
would have been better as a more serious LiS(using time powers to solve environment puzzles, etc., it has them a bit but they're really basic) than a mediocre mole popper

very pretty game, especially considering it's 6 years old

A horse of course

died and got reset back like 30 minutes and alt-f4'd, game isn't good enough for me to redo all that tbh
would have been better as a more serious LiS(using time powers to solve environment puzzles, etc., it has them a bit but they're really basic) than a mediocre mole popper

very pretty game, especially considering it's 6 years old

Last I heard the peecee version had shitty performance and was locked to a dynamic resolution (i.e. no matter what you choose, it drops to 720p when it feels the need to maintain the framerate). Did you look into that?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I recently played both Alan Wake and Control and enjoyed them both, even if for different reasons.

Since this is on sale on the Humble Store right now, is it worth playing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom