Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor - Jeff Vogel's new series continues

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do the ships have Word 97 clipart on their sails?
I have some insight on this.
"The Tormentor" is actually...
93cc4b84ab3e4b3387cd6656a01ab015bc-26-clippy.rsquare.w700.jpg

Pretty fitting, if you ask me. Who DIDN'T this dude torment?

Acrux

Arcane
I thought I owned the first of this series, but when I checked my library I found I confused Queen's Wish with Avadon. As someone who really enjoyed the Exile and Geneforge series, I dropped Avadon part way through. I'm guessing Queen's Wish is closer to Avadon than his other games?

Avadon is a masterpiece compared to Queen's Wish - it's so dumbed down it's like baby's first RPG. I've purchased way too many Spiderweb games over the years, and I was so disgusted by this game that I asked for a Steam refund.

Retraining characters is expected. But what's bizarre is that there's almost no character building (no stats!!! only skills), just choosing melee/ranged/magic and skills. XP comes from quests and exploring, but the best equipment comesfrom shops. There are probably other things, but I don't want to think about this game any more.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do you really need kickstarter for this? Just fire up rpg maker, buy some sprites, cobble together a mediocre story and in six months you're done with making the same game for the 20th time.

If you're making a stereotypical RPGMaker JRPG then sure, you can churn out games, but if you want to do anything but a basic JRPG with RPGmaker, then you have to download a million custom scripts or make your own and then pray they're compatible with each other and don't break with updates.

Also I believe RPGMaker extension/script makers can declare licenses which decide how their extensions can be used.

Such a damn pits ACKS was never continually updated. Last one I played was Ultima 4 part 2 Hey Dude! Where's My Avatar?

jungl

Augur
I could not get through the original game. Its so boring and ugly. Story wise it doesn't help this new trilogy is similar to 2 of his previous ones. Boring mideval world with big empire with dozen or so weak factions. Base building was shit non existent drivel you do not think about. You place buildings down to improve your character thats it really lame. Zero thought in design or other things you consider in actual building games.

Gastrick

Cipher
He was saying that he thought queens wish bombed but the revenue ended up decent. That's why he is making a sequel. That and also it is much shorter to make a game using the same engine.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
"It looks like you're trying to re-release the same game again. Would you like me to reload all your old assets?"
I have no problem with old assets if the game is good. Wouldn't mind getting another avernum game with its old assets lol. Only graphic fagz care about asses and such shit lol. Gime good exploration,decent writing and ok combat and i am happy.

jungl

Augur
PoE was shit. Kingmaker is the gold standard for this type of game.

Really hard to say kingmaker was better then pillars. At best it felt like a OKAY neverwinter nights module. Same copy pasted forest map whole game. Enemy variety very small. Bandits, magical beasts and few picks other monster groups. Majority encounters trash. Owlcat lazy and didn't add cool feats in the game.

wrpg gamers have been STARVED for a decent rpg forever so they have very low standards.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Can you mod or hack Jeff games? I mean at one time there was blades of exile and avernum so it makes me wonder. He obviously won't release a construction set. Even Brian Fargo was an ass and didn't release a modern BTCS for the current engine. Lame.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Can you mod or hack Jeff games? I mean at one time there was blades of exile and avernum so it makes me wonder. He obviously won't release a construction set. Even Brian Fargo was an ass and didn't release a modern BTCS for the current engine. Lame.
Letting users play around with his cheap art assets and engine? What would there be left for him to do? That is what he does to make money. Why buy his game again when some mentally ill guy with too much time on his hands can make the same thing but for free?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought I owned the first of this series, but when I checked my library I found I confused Queen's Wish with Avadon. As someone who really enjoyed the Exile and Geneforge series, I dropped Avadon part way through. I'm guessing Queen's Wish is closer to Avadon than his other games?

Avadon is a masterpiece compared to Queen's Wish - it's so dumbed down it's like baby's first RPG. I've purchased way too many Spiderweb games over the years, and I was so disgusted by this game that I asked for a Steam refund.

Retraining characters is expected. But what's bizarre is that there's almost no character building (no stats!!! only skills), just choosing melee/ranged/magic and skills. XP comes from quests and exploring, but the best equipment comesfrom shops. There are probably other things, but I don't want to think about this game any more.

there's a few unique items, (usually rings/amulets, one unique bow and all items that can be left in the inventory) and the mage off-hand equipment category that aren't found in shops. Also since the shop items get unlocked as you progress in the game, you can still get lucky and loot something that's better than what you have access to. But most of the loot is underwhelming.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Not sure why Vogel thought that his games needed dumbing down, especially when I'm sure he's not picking up any of the mainstream audience.

At this point I would lean hard into making games even more convoluted, with obtuse systems and combat that's daunting to even seasoned grognards.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Avernum. Probably Avernum 4 to be more specific.

do you have a source? Just searched a bit but I didn't found a definitive one, just found an old blog post from 2010 were he said that he uses very old parts of the Engine https://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-i-saved-gaming-industry-overnight.html and it doesn't seem that he made a new Engine since then.

Avernum is a major, bottom-up rewrite of Exile: Escape From the Pit. It will keep everything in that old game, and add a whole bunch of new features:

• The powerful Nethergate game engine.
  • An elegant, all-new interface.
  • Many new characters, quests, special encounters, and other neat stuff. There's almost twice as much dialogue in Avernum!
  • Much more fleshing out of the game world. More history, background, and fun trivia.

http://www.avernum.com/avernumold/exile.html

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom