Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor - Jeff Vogel's new series continues

Zanzoken

Arcane
I'll give everyone the TL;DR version:

"I'm old. Very old. Been making old games for an old time. I'm tired and my old career is coming to a tired end soon. Sorry you don't like the game"

Fun fact: Jeff Vogel is only 1 year, 5 months, and 4 days older than Chris Avellone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3299187

Queen's Wish 2 Passes First Stretch Goal!

57995c5bb3ad23a63320fe61603ba6c5_original.jpg

Just a quick note to say that our Kickstarter for Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor just passed its first stretch goal! We will be porting the game to the iPhone. It is a lot of work to adapt the game to such a tiny screen, but there is a real magic in seeing it play in the palm of your hand. So we're excited! Thank you!

There are four days left in the Kickstarter, so we probably won't reach the New Storyline level. But we were excited about letting all backers have a way to contribute ideas, so we will be adding new material to the existing story and finding a way to let everyone chip in ideas.

Thank you so much! Just a little bit to go and then we can sleep again!

- Jeff Vogel

Terra

Cipher
Thank god that we made it to that all-important iPhone port stretch goal, there's clearly no way that port was happening without it...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3303922

Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor Is On the Way!

Our Kickstarter for Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor is done, and we are hugely happy with how it turned out. We will be writing the second chapter in the Queen's Wish (hopeful) Trilogy, and it should be out in the area of Summer, 2022.

So where do we go from here? Well, we're going to write the game. We'll give you an update on our progress at least bimonthly. Expect lots of art, screenshots, and glimpses into the development process.

We made good progress toward the second stretch goal, adding a new storyline. The world of Queen's Wish 2 is already pretty huge, but we do plan to add more material and give backers a way to chip in prompts for what goes into it. You'll hear more about this in the future.

If you bought the ability to contribute to the game, we will soon be in touch with you and let you know more about the land of the Rokaj and how you can submit your ideas.

If you bought a document or souvenir, watch your email. We'll be asking for your address in the next few months.

The indie games business is a difficult one, and it's getting more competitive every year. These Kickstarters are incredibly valuable for helping Spiderweb Software stay in business. Your support enables us to stay around, and we're going to keep working on bringing you our odd, niche little toys for some time to come.

- Jeff Vogel

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3329149

Queen's Wish 2 October Update!

The Queen’s Wish 2: The Conqueror Kickstarter is now done! Goals have been reached, backer money has been collected, and the game is now being written.

We have been spending a few weeks cleaning up all the stuff left undone in the push to launch the Kickstarter. We’ve been playing the game and balancing and tweaking things to make sure everything is tight and fun. We’ve been writing lots of art direction and coding the bits and bobs at the edges of the code.

If you backed Queen’s Wish 2 at a level where you get to contribute something to the game, check your Kickstarter messages! We have sent you a guide to how to give us your feedback. We need to hear from you in the next few months, so please don’t procrastinate on this too much.

Over the next few months, we will send out surveys to the kind people who bought physical objects. Watch your Kickstarter messages. We’ll mention it repeatedly in these updates to make sure you don’t miss it.

Going forward, we’re going to play and polish the game for a while and then go into the long grind of primary design. We’ll send regular updates to let you know that things are happening. We are also looking into a way we can expand the game world a bit and let all backers give suggestions for it. So stay tuned!

Thank you again for your kind support! We are hugely pleased with how the Kickstarter turned out, and we’re working hard to make a game worthy of your trust.

- Jeff Vogel

PS Here are some quick screenshots I took while playing and polishing the game. We’re putting in a wide variety of encounters.

087267bb107ff085688a15889d39c648_original.jpg
3ba3e95d63648886e6995c7ae8291508_original.jpg

Viata

Arcane
I'm jealous of Jeff. He is pretty much doing whatever the shit he wants for his games, still has a fanbase and will always be remembered for making Geneforge. And I still respect him, even when he keeps releasing the same games over and over or making new bad games. :negative:

Shaki

Arbiter
I'm jealous of Jeff. He is pretty much doing whatever the shit he wants for his games, still has a fanbase and will always be remembered for making Geneforge. And I still respect him, even when he keeps releasing the same games over and over or making new bad games. :negative:

Yeah, Vogel is weird. I kinda hate him, but I also kinda like him, and I shit on all his new games but I still buy them.

Idk why, I'm probably just retarded.

Drowed

Arcane
Yeah, Vogel is weird. I kinda hate him, but I also kinda like him, and I shit on all his new games but I still buy them.

I stopped at the Avadon series, which is when for me he reached his "pinnacle" in terms of visuals - not that Avadon is a particularly beautiful game, but it's the pinnacle of what you can expect from Vogel's style, I guess. And it also has several nice drawings here and there. The UI is bad, though. Ironically, of all his games I've played, the Avadon series has a progression in mechanics inversely proportional to the advancement in the visuals, meaning it's one of his most simplistic games ever. It's boringly dumb, and the setting doesn't help much as it is extremely generic. That's when I gave up on him.

I thought he couldn't get any worse, but then Queen's Wish came along. It's funny that the longer you live, the more time you have to see that rise and fall is an inevitable cycle. And at that point, all you can hope for is that he gives up making games before creating even worse things.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seems weird. Seems like it would at the least stay the same and maybe gradually get better; not backslide to more simplistic.

Maybe that is intentional so he can create a remastered version later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ooh. Do any of our talented writers want to incline a Vogel game? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3373547

Queen's Wish 2 Make-a-Dungeon!

Happy Holidays from Spiderweb Software! This is not a full Queen’s Wish 2 development update, which is coming in a couple weeks. (Quick summary: We’re writing the game.)

One of our stretch goals was a new storyline. We didn’t quite get there, but we were close enough that we want to do it anyway! We’re doing something different for this bonus side quest. We’re asking all our backers for ideas to help us make it!

If you want to take part, we have three requests below. We’ll use your answers to mold a new adventure. If you’re reading this, you can take part! Just answer all three questions and send your responses to queenswishgame@gmail.com.

1. Give three nouns to shape the adventure. They can be moods, names of monsters, colors, objects, whatever. But I will use all 3 or none at all.

2. Give one sentence that describes a game mechanic that you think is really cool.

3. Give a single line of dialogue that appears in the adventure.

Send these to queenswishgame@gmail.com by January 15. I will announce the winners and then make the adventure!

If you backed Queen's Wish 2 at a level that lets you contribute ideas to the game, this is really a good time to contact us. Again, at queenswishgame@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support, thanks for the ideas, and let’s have some weird, exciting gaming in 2022!

- Jeff Vogel

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3386959

Queen's Wish 2 December Update

Welcome to our new Queen’s Wish 2: The Tormentor update! We’ve been working furiously on the game, and we have a bunch of news.

The game is being written. The engine is basically done, and we’re about 30% of the way through the longest part of the job, writing the world. Queen’s Wish 2 has a really intricate plot with lots of characters, factions, and tough choices to make. This means a lot of time-consuming dialogue writing, with many breaks to make sure everything is connected together and makes sense.

We are also gradually accumulating artwork and talking to contributors about what will be added to the game. Soon, I’ll be taking a few days off from writing to play a bunch of the game and makes sure it feels right. The first internal testing will happen after that.

All in all, things are going well. The dungeons are fun, the setting is cool, and I’m pretty happy with the writing. (Or, as happy as I’m capable of being.) Barring disaster, we are still looking good for a release in the area of Fall, 2022.

In our last update, we asked for suggestions for our improv-comedy-style bonus dungeon. We’ve gotten a ton of responses, and we’re about to start picking through them. You still have a few weeks to send in ideas!

Major Alert For High Tier Backers!

If you backed us at a level where you get to contribute content to the game, we are very grateful. However, time is passing quickly. If you want your ideas to get a good, interesting placement in the game, we need to hear from you soon. We already sent a message to all backers, and we’ll send them a reminder soon.

Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror Updated More

We released an update of Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror with a bunch of the cool new graphics from Queen’s Wish 2. We then had to make a v1.1.1 update to fix a few bugs. If you want to try the new Queen’s Wish, download it where you purchased the game.

So don’t worry. Things are going well. Enjoy your holidays, and you’ll be hearing more from us soon!

- Jeff Vogel

PS Here is a quick screenshot, showing some of the massive piles of dialogue we’ve been writing. Queen’s Wish 2 will give plenty of chances to reward the loyal and punish the incompetent.

ff6bba9bdb62204ea470e7ef2e4fea29_original.jpg

You are the boss, and your underlings require judgment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderwebsoftware/queens-wish-2-the-tormentor/posts/3426826

Queen’s Wish 2 February Update

Greetings to our kind backers! Work on Queen’s Wish 2: The Tormentor is proceeding according to schedule, and this is a great time to let you know how things are going.

The game world is now well over half done. Many towns, many dungeons, dozens of quests, a rich story with lots of difficult and interesting choices, it’s all in there. Our awesome artists are making lots of cool art, some of which is below.

We’ve gotten pretty heavy into fantasy politics for this game, so your dungeon delving time alternates with opportunities to use your powers in other ways. The wild, barbarian land of the Rokaj is a mess, but it will also resist your attempts to remake it to your tastes.

We have done a lot of in-house testing to make sure the game plays well. Now we are almost ready to begin beta testing. Like all of our games, Queen’s Wish 2 will get months of testing to make sure the release is as smooth as possible.

We are still hoping for a release at the end of Summer, 2022. Somewhere around there.

We got a ton of great responses to our Make-a-Dungeon challenge, and we’re getting ready to add a bonus quest line to the game based on your feedback.

We are going to use a lot more of your suggestions than just one from each category. There were plenty of intriguing ideas, and we want to work in a lot of them. The winners were:

Three nouns - Friendship, starlight, library.

Fun Game Mechanic - The player has to flee from an invincible enemy to lure them to a trap and defeat them.

Quote - "I didn't realize what was really worth fighting for until it was already lost."

Now you’ll see what we do with this!

What Is Coming

We’ll concentrate on finishing the game world and start beta testing, so that the product can become actually polished and shippable. We also need to focus on making a trailer and creating our Steam page, but we need a little more art in hand. It’s coming!

And that is all for now. Everything is going well, and the game is coming along. Enjoy some new art below!

- Jeff Vogel

bed6a73cd295b1097a2c058ca24cc5e1_original.jpg

A visit to the remote forest town of Isskale. Some people here are loyal to the Empire. Others are planning to kill you. Hope you can figure out who to trust soon.

e47e09a51216ed749212b061196d73cc_original.jpg

Longtime artist Ben Resnick has created another gorgeous world map for Queen's Wish 2. Welcome to the Rokaj!

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It's also thoroughly bland and makes no geologic sense. Four different biomes in close proximity neatly divided by impassable mountain ranges holed with plotgates. This is soooooo lazy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Four different biomes in close proximity neatly divided by impassable mountain ranges holed with plotgates. This is soooooo lazy.

I don't hold that against him, it's pretty standard for computer RPGs. Having a fun map to explore is more important than for it to make geologic sense

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Four different biomes in close proximity neatly divided by impassable mountain ranges holed with plotgates. This is soooooo lazy.

I don't hold that against him, it's pretty standard for computer RPGs. Having a fun map to explore is more important than for it to make geologic sense
I don't either. I thoroughly enjoyed geneforge + avernum. If he keeps his combat + skill system his fanbase will slurp up everything he puts out anyways, so why not be a just a little more inventive?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom