Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor - Jeff Vogel's new series continues

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Ships full of new art assets heading to the shores of Seattle:

They just unloaded the art assets on the beach, a serious contender for the best looking cRPG for sure...

dahican-garbage.jpg

It's definitely a game you need to use your imagination for.

Which is weird because I thought the Geneforge remaster looked really good.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Considering real life current events, you have to wonder if Vogel is a seer in a way (then again there is still the finale).

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I mean, not to like "overhype" it (lol, i know, ME? Overhype something??? :P ) but Jeff is insanely talented, man. Most dev TEAMS would be thrilled if they made a SINGLE Geneforge. This guy made 5 of them, lol. I mean, his graphics are beautiful to my eyes. I love the look of this game and it is so immersive thanks to great descriptive text and subtle graphical placements. There's quite a bit of environmental storytelling here if u don't miss it by just zooming thru the game. ;) But yeah, I'm convinced that this guy is an alien. His games are just amazing to me.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For people who have played this in the tens of hours, how is the game? Is it worth getting if you didn't really like the first game?

It depends on what your expectations are. I didn't really care for the first one, but I enjoy this one more. I think it's because I know it's not Avernum or Geneforge and can play it on its own terms. The story is better (evaluating vassals) and the experience works better. If you didn't HATE the first one, I'd say give it a shot.
Does the whole demesne (vassal/diplomacy/castle management) aspect feel more fleshed out? QW1 felt a lot like: spend money to upgrade castle shopkeeper or get passive income. In a way, castle building felt as "abstract" to meas in Kingmaker (compared to NWN2's Crossorad Keep or even Dragon Age: Awakening fortress).

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I mean, not to like "overhype" it (lol, i know, ME? Overhype something??? :P ) but Jeff is insanely talented, man. Most dev TEAMS would be thrilled if they made a SINGLE Geneforge. This guy made 5 of them, lol. I mean, his graphics are beautiful to my eyes. I love the look of this game and it is so immersive thanks to great descriptive text and subtle graphical placements. There's quite a bit of environmental storytelling here if u don't miss it by just zooming thru the game. ;) But yeah, I'm convinced that this guy is an alien. His games are just amazing to me.

You are a grand master level troll, i salute you Sir.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I rarely judge a game without playing it. Sometimes a video can convey something but everyone plays different and has different tastes. I love to grind just about anything in games. I'm also an alto-holic

Contagium

Savant
Patron
For people who have played this in the tens of hours, how is the game? Is it worth getting if you didn't really like the first game?

It depends on what your expectations are. I didn't really care for the first one, but I enjoy this one more. I think it's because I know it's not Avernum or Geneforge and can play it on its own terms. The story is better (evaluating vassals) and the experience works better. If you didn't HATE the first one, I'd say give it a shot.
Does the whole demesne (vassal/diplomacy/castle management) aspect feel more fleshed out? QW1 felt a lot like: spend money to upgrade castle shopkeeper or get passive income. In a way, castle building felt as "abstract" to meas in Kingmaker (compared to NWN2's Crossorad Keep or even Dragon Age: Awakening fortress).
Honestly, the only purpose it serves is to be able to get better armor/weapons . Now you can "dedicate your fort" and gain different bonuses or super special items at a particular anvil at one of the towers. So that's a new twist compared to QW1. Otherwise, the fort building doesn't do anything to affect the story

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Dare I say, one will not find a more interesting LOOT/ITEMIZATION system in a CRPG of this nature. Wow. Every magical item, upgrade and stat is just a resounding marvel of pure harmony. Trust me. If you love loot gathering and character customization, this is the goods right here. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
There are awesome skills indeed. And combat is sublime when you unlock all those nifty Ro skills and such. Leads to some really unique strategies you can employ.

talan

Augur
Finished the game -- overall I liked it.

With the endgame slides of QW1 I was expecting QW2 to focus more on Haven/empire/internal politics with a possible conflict over if you or Sutter would be King.
But this game is more of the same as QW1. You go to a vassal that hasn't received attention in a while and solve their problems with violence and the occasional choice.

Interested to see where QW3 ends up. From the endgame slides of QW2, it sounds like you'll be expanding Haven with a new vassal.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Portraits are all generic presets , i suppose it was a less costly way to do them like many design choices in his games it's probably a matter of price. Still nothing to rage about really, seen lot worse.
Free procgen tools can now easily make portraits as good as paid artist commissions, the fact that people still use dogshit baffles me.

Which free procgen tool is your favorite?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Portraits are all generic presets , i suppose it was a less costly way to do them like many design choices in his games it's probably a matter of price. Still nothing to rage about really, seen lot worse.
Free procgen tools can now easily make portraits as good as paid artist commissions, the fact that people still use dogshit baffles me.

AI. Probably stable diffusion, midjourney or novelai diffusion. I don't actually use any of these though, as I prefer actual artists... for now.

I just generated one on the spot for you (keywords are RPG game, portrait, dwarf):

RPG game, portrait, dwarf,  s-4031263485.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
just generated one on the spot for you (keywords are RPG game, portrait, dwarf):
Can you make a wizard one?
Sure, in a couple of different art styles. The AI apparently really, really wants to make them attractive unless you put some kind of ugly keyword in.

These were made with NovelAI if you want to replicate them. It's bad with hair, but you can tinker around with it given enough time.

RPG game, portrait, wizard, male, art by Tony Sart s-347040363.png

RPG game, portrait, wizard, male, art by Tony Sart s-533028646.png

RPG game, portrait, wizard, male, art by Tony Sart s-836377488.png

RPG game, portrait, wizard, male, illustration artgem, rutkowski jeremy lipkin a s-2993280063.png

RPG game, portrait, wizard, male,  s-1889760805.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Artbreader will probably have the most consistent results with the highest quality. Other AI tools tend to have more errors that need to be fixed later. But Artbreader is really mainly suited to human faces and takes more work to get other races.

Luzur

Good Sir
Could be better if he reworked the settlement building system abit and...i dunno, redo the other stuff. QW1 felt like a watered down Avernum with stuff missing.

Well, been playing the game now for awhile on and off and.. this comment of mine still holds up, everything feels slow, watered down and empty, from the combat to the building system.

Why not make it as a Avernum/Geneforge but with town building added on? those games have more flow and stuff then this.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't understand why he bother simplifying his combat system at all. Can't he just copy paste it between games? Avernum system was fine.

Lhynn

Arcane
felt like a watered down Avernum with stuff missing.

everything feels slow, watered down and empty, from the combat to the building system.

Thats just indicative of the state of vogel himself, he is an old washed up has been that doesnt have a creative bone in his body anymore, recycling old ideas and stealing others is about the only thing the man can reliably do, with very predictable results.

Considering how simplistic and braindead the mechanics are in Geneforge and Avernum, I really don't see how much more watered-down Vogel can make his games. This is approaching 2010s phone game tier.

flushfire

Augur
He actually did manage that with the first Queen's Wish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom