Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure if dedicated spellcasters are even viable in this game.

4 spellcasters, all in mage clothes. Veteran difficulty. Quite easy.

Since less enemies can dodge magic damage as well as physical.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I got it. (Read Vogel's notes in the manual.)

In his previous games you led Adventurers on a Mysterious Quest. Here you are a Civic Policy Enforcer who leads a party of henchmen to Manage a Problematic Province. There is little sense of mystery; the problems you are to be invested in mainly concern which agents you back when trying to get a grip on the situation and which face you show to the people; both of these seem to lead to some consequences. So respecing makes sense: in 'reality' you take different, variously skilled people to different places.

Vogel has not made the same game for the nth time: this is actual innovation :) Whether it's for the better, I'm not sure. I didn't really want a sim game.
so you're telling me this is the sequel to tyranny we have all been waiting for
More like the second third of Tranny,with lower budget. Now all that is left is to get a third game so tranny finally feels like a whole game.

Delterius

Arcane
I got it. (Read Vogel's notes in the manual.)

In his previous games you led Adventurers on a Mysterious Quest. Here you are a Civic Policy Enforcer who leads a party of henchmen to Manage a Problematic Province. There is little sense of mystery; the problems you are to be invested in mainly concern which agents you back when trying to get a grip on the situation and which face you show to the people; both of these seem to lead to some consequences. So respecing makes sense: in 'reality' you take different, variously skilled people to different places.

Vogel has not made the same game for the nth time: this is actual innovation :) Whether it's for the better, I'm not sure. I didn't really want a sim game.
so you're telling me this is the sequel to tyranny we have all been waiting for
More like the second third of Tranny,with lower budget. Now all that is left is to get a third game so tranny finally feels like a whole game.
pls don't be vulgar tyranny is a good game i like ok

here a cute peace pic for peace

31-5703876dd85a4__605.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The joke is on him lol. In two hours i managed to b-line toward all the fords,build carpenter and have the best bows! Also you could cheat the game by building say seven smithies,place them,buy all the good shit,then remove them to not pay upkeep,they stay in your building inventory and are not destroyed.

It does not work that way. If you don't have blacksmith shop active your weapons wont do much damage, same with potions and alchemists etc. In addition if you place a building and then remove it you will still pay the full upkeep the next time you get resources it does not matter if you removed it. Only the next upkeep after that will be reduced.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This doesn't make sense. If you are "in reality" choosing different people for jobs, why not simply let players hire new mercenaries? That's how PK does it. You can make as many mercs as you have the cash for. Mercs that you remove from the party remain in the roster, and you can re-hire them again.

No need for new mercs clogging and confusing the system when you can just respec IMO.

You'll need to create new characters to use the factions-specific skills, once you've built forts in the three other regions.

Regarding level-scaling, I can understand why Jeff used it: since you can go to the potential vassals in any order, you'd get a consistent challenge whatever the order you're doing things. Still some things don't seem to scale, I remember a fight in the swamps, at the crossing between the area with the first fort and the North, I nearly got shredded by two guards, whereas I've been stomping on any other enemies I had fought so far.

Also, there's a fort improvement, which allow you to go back home, even if you've not finished the main quest (or any quest for that matter). Mom is very disappointed, but you can go back to a life of leisure and doing fuck all.

That's also a tradition I'm happy he kept. In Geneforge 2 you could walk back home thirty minutes into the game and suffer the consequences.

That ending also hints there's more to discover than just beating your vassals into the ground. But I don't know if it's part of that game or story hooks for the sequels.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
Fuck i have one more day of playing this shit till i finish it.....and i don't feel like it. I finished getting the three vassals,and now i have some new shit to explore,but the whole thing leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It is really terribly written and forcefully idiotic. The whole game doesn't have single redeeming quality......joke aside the best thing about it,is how it looks. It is not as ugly as on the pictures and the trailers,tho the portraits are.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i have been playing again, it's crazy how teh guy who made avernum and geneforge made this sterile ass. the world is really boring, even compared to avadon. in avadon, the main flaw is not all the factions got fleshed out, but the one that does can be pretty interesting. that is even acknowledging avadon is still less interesting than avernum. avadon have at least some interesting concept and redbeard is an amazing character. in queen's wish, there is nothing that stand out. the factions seems to be a reiteration of his previous games, that somehow made less interesting. the magic swamp people are just crazier shaper, and the owen slaves are just some kind of reiteration of servile/human conflict in geneforge. the haven royal family don't stand out like redbeard and avadon as an organization. you have you, the family's bottom failure, the thot sister and the brother, and your mom.

the dungeon is also pathetically tiny (because of 1 dungeon in 1 try shit. i'd rather explore huge dungeon that you can strategically retreat than literally 1 room or 2 at most)

so you go from avernum, a complex , sprawling civilization inside a caves comprised of humans and several races trying to get by under oppression of the surface and below, threats of underrail aliens, to geneforge, which is fantasy magical biopunk and overall one of the most unique setting in fiction, to alternate history celtic/rome setting to avadon. which still have decent geopolitical conflict and especially redbeard, the most memorable character the guy has ever written. avadon overall have at least really great supporting characters, aside from redbeard, you got the traitor arch mage, etc that the world have a sense of progression each games.

then you got queen's wish. it is all the dumbing down, without something else that show for itself.

Fuck i have one more day of playing this shit till i finish it.....and i don't feel like it. I finished getting the three vassals,and now i have some new shit to explore,but the whole thing leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It is really terribly written and forcefully idiotic. The whole game doesn't have single redeeming quality......joke aside the best thing about it,is how it looks. It is not as ugly as on the pictures and the trailers,tho the portraits are.
Life's too short to spend on mediocre games. Queen's Wish comfortably takes up that annoying "entirely average" spot on my estimate. You can't fault it objectively, but everything about is just "bland" subjectively. Execute Unisntall.bat and never regret.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having finished the game, here are my thoughts on the writing and overall narrative of the game (the disappointing mechanics of the game have already been brought to light numerous times):
  • Queen's Wish will go down as Vogel's least memorable writing effort, and this is despite the game having more C&C opportunities than Avernum and Avadon.
  • Far too many quests are mindless "clear out the area for resources" quests, with very little world or character building.
  • The game's structure is too formulaic -- there are 3 battalions to deal with the 3 major areas in the game, and one ends up repeating the same steps with each battalion to secure each area.
  • Avernum 1 had one of the best climaxes in an RPG, and shows that Vogel can end his games with a bang. On comparison, Queen's Wish's climax is a damp squib, and even feels like an uninspired retread for fans of his previous games.
  • There are very few, if any, memorable characters in the game. I think Vogel intended for the player to care about his family members the most, but I had little reason to care about characters who are missing most of the game. The rest of the NPCs in the game have about as much personality as a starting town quest giver from his other games, and a fair few of them come across as kickstarter self-inserts.
  • I strongly suspect that the future games will take place in a new location, and not on Sacramentum from Queen's Wish 1. This makes it easier for Vogel to "remember" the player's choices (bleeding heart/useless layabout/Haven boot-licker) while not having to deal with the numerous permutations with factions that arise from continuing in the same location. This also gives him an excuse to recycle the insomnia-curing fort building mechanics from the first game since such a sequel would cover a new Haven colony to govern. The game also hints at this numerous times, with family members chiming in that Sacramentum is just one Haven colony of many, and the player should eventually return home safely to deal with other areas if Sacramentum becomes impossible to govern. As a result, on finishing Queen's Wish 1, I felt the whole game was near pointless if the Queen's Wish series is just going to deal with new locations and expendable factions with each game. Maybe Vogel will construct an interesting family narrative by the end of the 3rd game, but based on the evidence at the end of the first game, I won't be holding my breath.
The game's gutted mechanics puts the onus on the writing and narrative to be exceptional to carry the game, yet the result is anything but. Queen's Wish 1 is the weakest first entry in a series that Vogel's ever written, not just gameplay wise but also writing and narrative wise.

newtmonkey

Arcane
After 12 hours of this game, I've decided Queen's Wish is not bad, but it's just as dull as Avadon, if not moreso.

Forget about the "only closers get coffee" (lol) philosophy to combat and experience that results in tiny dungeons that basically form circles once you beat the boss... the real problem with the game is that you basically do the same exact thing one time each to your north, south, west, and east—visit a town, open your fort, pick a side, clear a couple mines.

Further, the town development system does not make up at all for the simplified character/party building, and it's just another thing you do again and again, with your only choice being in what order you can build better weapons/armor, bows, and magic user equipment.

The game isn't difficult on Veteran, though you definitely do need to conserve resources much more than in other Spiderweb games. Sometimes the game likes to trick you into blowing all your resources, and I think that's the very definition of the kind of "wasting the player's time" that Vogel attempted to eliminate with his no experience from battles/get through dungeons in a single try design.

12 hours in, my next choice in the game is to clear out one of several mines due to lack of iron resources, and I can't bring myself to give a shit about clearing yet another three-room mine with meaningless encounters followed by a boss encounter. I decided to put the game on hold in favor of playing Nethergate Resurrection, which I have never played before but am enjoying a ton.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Life's too short to spend on mediocre games. Queen's Wish comfortably takes up that annoying "entirely average" spot on my estimate. You can't fault it objectively, but everything about is just "bland" subjectively. Execute Unisntall.bat and never regret.
Nah,i will struggle with this garbage and finish it,there is a little bit left in the underworld.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah,i will struggle with this garbage and finish it,there is a little bit left in the underworld.
i'm probably waiting till just the stygian cthulhu game get released

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i'm probably waiting till just the stygian cthulhu game get released
I take it that it jumped to 15th and disco elysium.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
FUCK YOU!!!! YOU NIGGER FAGGIT DEGENERATE SHITSLURPING RETARDED DOG RAPIST SCAM CUCK!!! HOPE YOU GET GANG RAPED BY A HERD OF FUCKING HIV POSITIVE BABOONS!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GAME FROM YOU DISGUSTING LIBERAL FUCK.!.

Don't buy that pile shit guys,it is broken,tedious and boring pile of shit! Spend 1 fucking hour fighting some stupid dragon,or to me more accurate,spend a whole hours seeing my guys just spam "evade"on the fucking enemy,i missed like 200 times in a fucking row. SHOVE YOUR RETARDED NON-GRINDING MECHANICS UP YOUR FAT PUS COVERED ASSHOLE.!. I just raged quit and almost punched the monitor,just deleted the whole game folder! EAT SHIT VOGEL,EAT THEM WITH YOUR BARE HANDS FAGGOT.!.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom