Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myst Quern - Undying Thoughts - FP 3D Myst-like

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

Quern is a first person puzzle adventure with captivating story and beautiful graphics. The game is currently in early development by Zadbox Entertainment. Quern refreshes the genre with flexible gameplay and reuseable puzzle mechanics. The visuals and the music combine traditional and modern elements providing a unique mood for the game.

This universe is a structured system of worlds all connected to each other. The player assumes the role of a person, who has been trapped in one of these worlds which is a mysterious island surrounded by oceans as far as the eye could see. He finds himself in front of an entrance to a deserted ancient city.​

Asking for $30,407 - $14 gets you a digital copy of the game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255217702/quern-undying-thoughts

Watching the video, this actually looks really good, and feels like a real Myst-like. Apparently 2015 is the Year of Myst-likes on Kickstarter (I am OK with that).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. trustno1code Prophet

trustno1code
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You've been on a Myst-like tear. This one seems the most interesting of the batch.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This has been funded now, with 3 more days to go. This is good - the world needs more Myst-likes.

Their stretch goals above 25,000 are pretty silly (not to mention unrealistic), though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255217702/quern-undying-thoughts/posts/1293952

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I just wanted to say hi and be smug about a hungarian studio developing this promising Myst-like. :smug:

^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    :necro:

Steam page:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, got a backer email about that recently. Looking forward to this.

^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Should we have gotten keys for this yet?

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    There was a survey back in August where you could choose your reward - but no, no keys yet as far as I know (unless you backed at the beta tier, which I did not). Hopefully soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I just got my beta key.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    I've played 40 min and so far I just have nitpicks so far.

Show Spoiler

The graphics are super desaturated, the pre-alpha video in the OP is more colorful. Not sure why they did this, but I don't like it.

They also use too many post processing effects, and there's intense bloom I can't figure out how to turn off. Look at the sky and it's "have you come seeking the light" every time.

They have a story gimmick where you find letters written to you, and they feel too try hard. Also, I don't care for the voice actor. ASA used a similar idea to much greater effect.

The performance sucks. My video card fan hasn't spun up like this since Expeditions: Conquistador.

The first few puzzles are boring and easy, but hopefully it's just warming up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    I got my Beta key too, just need to find some free time. :negative:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    looks nice, but i'll have to wait for sale maybe

*updated my wishlist*

^ Top  
  14. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    What a surprise...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    I actually backed and own this. From what little I did play, it IS a fairly decent(?) Mystlike. I did like the first few hours of thew early Beta I played.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    I finished the first area (I think there's 3, but I'm not sure).

It's... ok. I'm not big into Mystlikes but I could tell you a half-dozen games that are better.

The story so far feels very forced, and the puzzles almost never require any intuitive leap.

Still the world is pretty, and the way the environment around you changes as you solve more puzzles is cool. Nothing about it is offensively bad, just feels not good. Like it's missing some spark.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.