Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst Quern - Undying Thoughts - FP 3D Myst-like

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Quern is a first person puzzle adventure with captivating story and beautiful graphics. The game is currently in early development by Zadbox Entertainment. Quern refreshes the genre with flexible gameplay and reuseable puzzle mechanics. The visuals and the music combine traditional and modern elements providing a unique mood for the game.

This universe is a structured system of worlds all connected to each other. The player assumes the role of a person, who has been trapped in one of these worlds which is a mysterious island surrounded by oceans as far as the eye could see. He finds himself in front of an entrance to a deserted ancient city.​

Asking for $30,407 - $14 gets you a digital copy of the game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255217702/quern-undying-thoughts

Watching the video, this actually looks really good, and feels like a real Myst-like. Apparently 2015 is the Year of Myst-likes on Kickstarter (I am OK with that).

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You've been on a Myst-like tear. This one seems the most interesting of the batch.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This has been funded now, with 3 more days to go. This is good - the world needs more Myst-likes.

Their stretch goals above 25,000 are pretty silly (not to mention unrealistic), though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255217702/quern-undying-thoughts/posts/1293952

We have reached our funding goal today! We would like to thank every one of you for your continuous support and for spreading the word about Quern, and taking it a large step closer to being reality! It is heartwarming to see the conversations about our game all over social media and forums, and even in our comment section! We are pleased that our project could get such an amazing community together. Thank you!

It is important to note that the campaign is still running for 3 more days. We will try our best to promote the campaign in these last days, it would be amazing to reach our first stretch goal and making Quern available for more people in their native languages! You can help us in the final push by spreading the word - share it on social media, or just tell your friends to check us out - let’s see if we can reach that stretch goal together!

33a8e571999ae43e4ffcdc2f5993a6c9_original.png

Speaking of stretch goals: We have lowered our first goal (French, Italian, Russian translation) to £25,000 from £30,000. Also, “Readable in-game books with additional story!” is no longer a stretch goal. We are eager to show you the whole story of Quern, so we decided to work on this feature even without reaching that goal!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just wanted to say hi and be smug about a hungarian studio developing this promising Myst-like. :smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Should we have gotten keys for this yet?

There was a survey back in August where you could choose your reward - but no, no keys yet as far as I know (unless you backed at the beta tier, which I did not). Hopefully soon.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've played 40 min and so far I just have nitpicks so far.

The graphics are super desaturated, the pre-alpha video in the OP is more colorful. Not sure why they did this, but I don't like it.

They also use too many post processing effects, and there's intense bloom I can't figure out how to turn off. Look at the sky and it's "have you come seeking the light" every time.

They have a story gimmick where you find letters written to you, and they feel too try hard. Also, I don't care for the voice actor. ASA used a similar idea to much greater effect.

The performance sucks. My video card fan hasn't spun up like this since Expeditions: Conquistador.

The first few puzzles are boring and easy, but hopefully it's just warming up.

Astral Rag

Arcane
When we started the development, we worked with the free version of Unity 4, but we recently transitioned to the brand new and more efficient Unity 5

The performance sucks. My video card fan hasn't spun up like this since Expeditions: Conquistador.

What a surprise...

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I actually backed and own this. From what little I did play, it IS a fairly decent(?) Mystlike. I did like the first few hours of thew early Beta I played.

tuluse

Arcane
I finished the first area (I think there's 3, but I'm not sure).

It's... ok. I'm not big into Mystlikes but I could tell you a half-dozen games that are better.

The story so far feels very forced, and the puzzles almost never require any intuitive leap.

Still the world is pretty, and the way the environment around you changes as you solve more puzzles is cool. Nothing about it is offensively bad, just feels not good. Like it's missing some spark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom