Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quest for Glory Fan Fixes

Greenskin13

Erudite
As a die-hard fan of Sierra's Adventure/RPG hybrid, the Quest for Glory series, I thought I might share this with the rest of you guys.

Anyone who has played QfG 3 and 4 will surely have run into its numerous and game-stopping bugs. The Simbani Initiation, the Mad Monk's Tomb, the damnable Error 42's. Ugh, I couldn't even finish QfG 4, which was fast becoming my favorite. So after more than a decade of having to McGyver around these bugs, a fan (God bless his soul) has finally released a fan patch that corrects these errors. Finally!

Anyway, for any of you guys who are fans of the series (probably not many, but hey), here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/7435/

Just check the latest news for the patch section. Any way, this is a great website. It's nice to see such dedication to a game long abandoned by its makers. Sniff... I'm getting weapy and nostalgic.

Psilon

Erudite
Cool. I'll remember that the next time I run through the series. (Maybe I'll take a Paladin through next time--I've actually never played one in QFG4/5.)

Greenskin13

Erudite
Thanks for the socks.

You should. Being the Paladin is a real treat. At least for me, being a self-righteous goody-two-shoes.

I finally creamed the swordmaster in QfG1. It's funny because my weapons use skill is 120 and my parry and dodge skills are 20.... Thank goodness I've got chainmail.

MrBrown

Liturgist
I've just recently been going through the whole series, with the help of these fixes and VDMsound.

These fixes don't fix _everything_ in the games... I still had crasses in QfG3 while trying to do the Simbani initiation with a Paladin, and in QfG4 when throwing rocks to try to free the bonsai from the goo. However, there's two tricks that will help through the rest of the bugs in 3 and 4:

- In options, put details to minimum and speed to maximum.
- Try saving the game just before the action that causes the crash, repeatedly to catch just the right moment.

BTW, isn't the Weapon Master rather easy in QfG1 (at least the old version)? I beat him by just pressing the attack button constantly.

Too bad no one makes games like these anymore

Psilon

Erudite
He's a bitch in the VGA remake, I know that much.

I'm also going to play QFG4 in DOSBox--that way I can keep the CPU cycles low enough to defeat the Chernovy without too much of a headache.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Their King's Quest II remake, in my opinion, was easily the best Adventure game to have been released since The Longest Journey (Syberia was horrible, damnit), so I have high hopes for what they do with QfG2.

MrBrown

Liturgist
Psilon said:
I'm also going to play QFG4 in DOSBox--that way I can keep the CPU cycles low enough to defeat the Chernovy without too much of a headache.

What OS are you running?

I'm using XP. I heartily recommend installing the DOS version of QfG4 and running it with VDMsound: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Runs like a charm. The speeds are the same as with the original game.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Did you pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

The Swordmaster was a hardcore pain in the butt without the patch. He would go just about as fast as your CPU would let him, and battles would last under two seconds. He's still hard after the patch, but at least he doesn't move like he slipped from the Matrix.

I haven't gotten to QfG 3 yet, but damnit if they didn't fix the Simbani bug. That was really frustrating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom