Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ahahhahah! I see. I like the Protagonist VA. Mr 'Rum' hits the right notes. Though I notice the narrator has some odd voice distortion at some lines. Not a problem, but could be an issue to a more discerning pair of ears.
A slight recommendation - can you make an item icon placement to have an arrow to indicate precisely where I'm pointing that thing?

example:

This is the item
eg1.png

When I have it active - it has a cursor.
eg2.png

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of the icons have a little "star" on them, to let you know where the active click point is.

We actually have already implemented a compass in the game - and there will be a mapping system. As well, we've already added an in-game screen for the town-square - right now, you just get called to it when the time is right. We've added it so that you can walk through it, and a solider says that they are setting up.

Bt

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I must suck at aiming it a bit. I tried giving money to Udo at the start of the game and sometimes, Roehm would just use it on the stand, or elsewhere. It's quite frustrating TBH.

Alex

Arcane
Blackthorne

A compass is a good idea (as long as we aren't talking about quest compasses :D) as the camera view changes a lot. But I am not so sure about the map thing. Mapping adventure games by yourself is sometimes part of the fun, and sometimes were an important gameplay part of the game, like the city in the second QfG.

kaizoku

Arcane
Those were also 2 problems I found.
1) you don't know where exactly you're clicking since it lacks the "star" on some items, and
2) the town is somewhat confusing. It looks as if different screens were put together instead of designing the town concept as a whole first and then dividing it in screens.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah - I always liked to map out the game myself as well. The map in this game won't be a specific room based map, but more of graphical maps that show the general positions of everything in the world. Just to give you an idea of where you're going - to help keep orientation due to "camera angles".

Kaizoku - I thought we put the star on everything, but one or two may have slipped by. In the full game, of course, I will have every item marked with the star - and we'll make sure that there aren't any big bad pixel hunts in the game. It's a hard thing to avoid with low-res games, but I think we've come up with an idea that will help that without being too obtrusive.

As for the town - it was designed before hand, but in order to keep it from looking so "Up and Down, Left and Right" we has some screens with interesting camera angles." We're going to be adding street signs that you can look at that will guide you around town - as well as we've already begun work on a couple of new screens that will increase the flow better, and they also add a couple of shops and houses that didn't make it into the demo.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Blackthorne

sorry, I meant to say the "hand" action, not items.

Gotcha - totally - I agree on that - simple graphical fix on that, too.

I must say that I'm amazed that the power of the remakes we produced was SO profound that it tarnished the originals. I mean, what does that say about the originals, man? That they weren't good enough to deflect the horrid corrosive power of a remake by some fans in the future who loved the games. So, in a way, I guess I must thank you for deeming our remakes to be so powerful, even if it was in a negative way. I guess I'm some kind of wizard.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackthorne groke is what we call here a shitposter. Just ignore him.

I finally tried this demo and really enjoyed it. I did not play it extensively, but what I did play was really very good. It really did feel like playing a good old classic point and click Sierra game. Well done Blackthorne and team.

EDIT: Backing this one.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Blackthorne groke is what we call here a shitposter. Just ignore him.

Gotcha. There's one everywhere.

I finally tried this demo and really enjoyed it. I did not play it extensively, but what I did play was really very good. It really did feel like playing a good old classic point and click Sierra game. Well done Blackthorne and team.

Thank you very much. We're really looking forward to finishing the game, developing the rough edges ruther and sending out a fun game out there.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey, I appreciate all the supporting I'm getting from over here. I like talking with you guys, you've had some really good ideas and suggestions, and I'm glad that you care enough to help us make the game the best it can be.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Thanks, Whisky!

So, we've implemented a lot of the features you've suggested here, and it's already looking and player better to us! Thanks, guys - I know sometimes these things start out rocky, but all the usefull suggestions have really helped improve the game. So thanks.... glad to be around the codex.

Bt

kaizoku

Arcane
Blackthorne
I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but increasing the "hotspot" pixel margin for screen transition would also be a nice improvement. Playing in window mode makes screen transition quite annoying sometimes.
Additionally, you could also make the cursor change to an arrow (like in GK1).

Mortmal

Arcane
I played it too, and the screen transition margin should definitely be increased, some transitions sometimes not too obvious either. You should also increase the character walking speed. Except that is ok very similar to the sierra games or kyrandia.

Think the staff should post it on front news, they dont have so many days left to fund it, and if devs make the efforts to come chat here with us, they should at least get that as reward. Hardly anyone visit the adventure game sub forum, even codexers interested in adventure games.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yes - the pixels hotspots on the edges have been increased slightly, to help - yeah, in windowed mode, it can be tricky. Just a matter of moving them just a bit. We've also increased the basic speed of the game, so it defaults to walk a bit faster.

Bt

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes - the pixels hotspots on the edges have been increased slightly, to help - yeah, in windowed mode, it can be tricky. Just a matter of moving them just a bit. We've also increased the basic speed of the game, so it defaults to walk a bit faster.

Bt

That sounds great. The transition spots being wonky in windowed mode was probably my biggest gripe when playing the demo.

All in all, it was a fun demo. I definitely got a good QfG vibe from it. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alright, looks really cool so far. Demo is pretty short, but it's one of the few new adventure games that really feels like a VGA Sierra game.

Backed it and looking forward to the final version.

TripJack

Hedonist
Just tried the demo last night. It's a little rough of course, but I enjoyed it. Couldn't figure out how to melt the teeth on the drinking game path tho. It was already 1 in the morning so I gave up.

Will pledge I think :salute:

Alex

Arcane
To melt the teeth, you need to distract the blacksmith from his forge and to find a suitable vessel to hold them while they melt. I don't think it is spoilerish to tell you that there is no such vessel at the forge itself, surprisingly as that may be.

TripJack

Hedonist
I put the teeth in the helmet. By the way that helmet is an absolute bitch to find it took me forever to find it the first time. I figured the melting had to be done through the smith or with his forge or something. But I had already released the horse earlier so I couldn't figure out how to get him to go away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom