Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

Alex

Arcane
Oh, I don't think you can, then. Cool, this game has dead ends too!

Alex

Arcane
Well, to be fair, I epect they will "fix" that eventually, either adding a new way of doing the quest or making sure you realize you can't do it now. Then again, maybe there is an alternate way. After all, I did miss he alternate path of how to get the oil with the rogue.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've just tried the demo. I haven't gone too far into it, but I like it. I especially enjoy the attention to detail and the numerous descriptions. It certainly gives off the right QFG vibes. I'll probably back this after finishing the demo.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, this isn't bad. I like the art (though it's not quite as great as some of the beloved old Sierra stuff! (don't worry about that, nobody expects you to be _that_ good)) and the voice acting too. I can see where people would say it doesn't sound all that great- but I dare those people to go back and listen to the King's Quest V and VI and VII voice-acting today. It's fine for this type of game, and honestly quite impressive!

I didn't give the demo the time it deserves yet but I can safely say that it filled me with a special kind of joy and relief- that at least some people still try to make games like these. There hasn't been a proper take on QfG in what feels like forever and I think most of us here are overjoyed to get a chance to play a game like that again in these modern times.

Support this if you can. I for one want to see it become a series with sequels, each one improving over the last one and becoming a memorable set of games.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks! We have reached our Kickstarter funding goal, and now we're having stretch goals - so this sucker is getting made!

As for some of the voice acting, yeah - much will be re-recorded for the game. We can afford some proper time in a studio, so we should be getting some better results!

I'm just glad there are people out there who would like to play a game like this. I promise it'll be a good time!

Bt

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I just finished all 3 (?) routes of the demo. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't agree with what some people said about the VO, it's very good for an indie game and narrators usually need some time to get used to anyway. Even Gabriel Knight 1, which had a magnificent voice actress as a narrator, needed some time.

Some suggestions about the game:
-Create a main menu from where you can load your saves. Even with using the ESC button, running through the intro each time is kind of tedious.
-Make the location of the exits clearer and maybe even show the player where he should click on the screen to use them. Some exits need you to click on a specific point that isn't exactly where it should be. Changing the cursor to an "exit" sign when you hit the spot is one way to do it.
-Put the little star that shows on usable items, always on the upper right corner of the item (or something like that) so you can more easily point it on what you want to use it with. Some items have it in their center and that doesn't work very well. Making the star a little bigger isn't a bad idea either.
-If you press ESC while in battle, you get stuck in the saving/settings menu because all the buttons are grayed out.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Oh yes, for the full version - there will be a main menu. We left it out for the demo. We've already worked to make some exits clearer, and added the stars to the icons - and fixed locations on some. Oh, and good eye on the 'esc' bug in combat. Fixed as of a few minutes ago! haha.

Thanks for checking it out, sir!

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
-Make the location of the exits clearer and maybe even show the player where he should click on the screen to use them.

I 100% DISAGREE with this. The old Sierria games never ever clearly showed where exits where. You as the player had to figure that out and try for yourself.

THAT was one of the things I liked about the demo, in that the exits were NOT clearly marked.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I 100% DISAGREE with this. The old Sierria games never ever clearly showed where exits where. You as the player had to figure that out and try for yourself.

THAT was one of the things I liked about the demo, in that the exits were NOT clearly marked.

In my opinion trying to figure out an "obvious" exit is a pointless minigame that's basically pixel-hunting. Especially if clicking in the general direction doesn't always do it and you're required to click on a specific point on the screen. I mean I didn't miss any of the exits in the demo but there were times when I knew there was an exit there but I had to click repeatedly in order to use the exit. If it's some kind of secret path, then yeah, there should be a specific action or puzzle for you, to uncover it. If there's an obvious road/street/path that leads out of the screen, the player should know of it, at least if he hovers the cursor over it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

In my opinion trying to figure out an "obvious" exit is a pointless minigame that's basically pixel-hunting. Especially if clicking in the general direction doesn't always do it and you're required to click on a specific point on the screen. I mean I didn't miss any of the exits in the demo but there were times when I knew there was an exit there but I had to click repeatedly in order to use the exit. If it's some kind of secret path, then yeah, there should be a specific action or puzzle for you, to uncover it. If there's an obvious road/street/path that leads out of the screen, the player should know of it, at least if he hovers the cursor over it.

Compromise: make obvious exits easy to use (increase the clicking sweetspot) while keeping it the same for harder to find ones.

So if you are in an area like this in the desert where you can leave north, west, east and south, give a lot of leeway when you click near the north/west/east/south screen border. But when you're trying to enter a semi-hidden fox-hole, demand that you click on the damn thing.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey guys -

We're in the last few days of our Kickstarter, and I just wanted to say thanks to all here who supported the game and our Kickstarter, and gave us all some great ideas. We're working on Demo v 2.0 now, which incorporates many of the suggestions you have given us! I've enjoyed chatting with many of you, getting you know you, and seeing love and support for games like Quest For Glory... and of course, our homage to the adventure/rpg. Stay in touch!

Bt

kaizoku

Arcane
Also supporting this. :salute:
I like to do it on the last days for the thrill factor :smug:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Heh... thanks guys!

We'll be releasing a demo v 2.0 sometime in the next week or two. We wanted to get it out earlier, but our lead programmer lives in the Washington DC metro area, and they got hit by a large storm which has shut down power - he says they estimate it won't be back on until Friday.. so we've hit a little delay. But we'll get it out there, post KS, as a little treat to see what kind of work we've done, and to implement some of the suggestions we've got.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
image-132805-full.jpg

<3

kaizoku

Arcane
yeah... I bet you like that one don't you Jaesun!
but wait a few years until the steroids start taking its toll and shrinking his balls... then when he ends up like this:
image-132804-full.jpg

then we'll see if you still feel the same way about him

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Steven Alexander said:
Hello!

Just letting you know that we have received your donation of $30, and you will be receiving the new $30 reward tier - which is the same as the $25, but we've added the "Special Edition" of the game, which will include behind the scenes footage, game maker commentary, deleted scenes and other bonus materials.

Thank you for your pledge!

~Steven "Blackthorne" Alexander
would have given moar if there was a higher purely digital tier.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i mean i would have liked another higher tier that only has digital goodies, say one where you get the beta/dev forum access along with the digital special edition, but no dvd case, big box or tshirt. personal preference due to bad previous experience with german customs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom