Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/quest-for-infamy-an-adventure-game-by-infamous-que

http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/games/quest-for-infamy/

https://af.gog.com/game/quest_for_infamy?as=1649904300

This looks pretty fun. And they have a demo that you can download from the Kickstarter page:

From the makers of the critically-acclaimed remakes of King’s Quest III and Space Quest 2 comes an all new point and click adventure game, in the classic stylings of games of yore…..

Infamous Quests presents…. Quest For Infamy!

Quest For Infamy is a classic point and click adventure game, in which you assume the identity of “Mister Roehm” a man trying to start over after running away from a shady past. He’s come to the little town of Volksville only to discover there’s so much more going on in the valley than meets the eye! Come along and take a walk on the wild side with Roehm – and discover just how bad you might be.

About Quest For Infamy

When Klytos and Blackthorne founded Infamous Adventures over 9 years ago, they wanted to create a game that let you play as “a not so pure” hero - maybe even a villain! The idea developed into Quest For Infamy – and soon the young game-makers realized the scope of the game was beyond their grasp. Like a pebble tossed into a pond, the small waves of the Infamous spread out to the far corners of the globe. Learning to hone their skills, and attracting top-notch talent along the way – the decision was made to finally complete Quest For Infamy. With the advent of Kickstarter, the team thought they could raise the funds to sufficiently produce the game.

The time is now – and the time is right for a brand new adventure game with a classic feel.​

$10 gets you a digital copy of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaizoku

Arcane
My penis... it got hard...

:love:

Funny thing that the game features one of Prosper's familiars: Prospero.

The only thing I'm reticent is that they haven't talked about the game they're making.
Will it be like QfG? Will you have stats? Different classes? Different quests/gameplay for each class?

In any case, they have showed that they can do, and they love the genre... so I'll be throwing them at least a $10, maybe $25.

kaizoku

Arcane
Faping is making me blind. There is a big "download the demo" image hyperlink on their kickstarter page.
Installing it now...

will post my feedback latter

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was just about to post this, thanks Bee.

Backed it already, because I trust the guys making it, but I'll probably give the demo a try tomorrow. Everyone should check this out. The creators -- Infamous Adventures -- have done a couple of very high-quality remakes of King's Quest 3 and Space Quest 2 which are worth a look.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Demo is worth a spin. Downloading.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I was wondering if one of these fan remake/mod groups would ever actually try to make money on an original IP. Tell us how the demo is guys as I have a busy week but I'm interested.

kaizoku

Arcane
My penis... it got flaccid... :cry:

This is more of a proof of concept than anything else. It's simply too short to even be called a demo, but the main problem is that it has failed to captivate me in terms of story... or anything for that matter.
They seem to have the coding, the voicing, the artists. But they're lacking someone to write a proper story.

One thing that I liked is that they're going for a QfG adventure-rpg hybrid type of thing. You character does have stats and attributes.

At this moment I can't say if I'll be pledging or not.

Alex

Arcane
kaizoku

I am surprised, I actually really liked the little demo. I thought they captured some of the style of quest for glory and managed to give it a different more sinister spin, I guess. The two things I disliked about it were:
  1. The narration, and description can get a bit silly. I think this is a a direct result of not having professional voice overs, but it really doesn't bother me too much. Besides, QfG could get silly too.
  2. The puzzles could have been baked a bit more so the method of killing the creature was related to your profession. The rogue could have tried to set up a trap, while the sorcerer could have looked for some obscure bit about the creature that gave you an edge.
I do agree that the game is lacking much of a story, but do consider that they are going for a QfG I vibe. That game's story wasn't thrown into your lap all at once, it was more of a slow affair, and there wasn't that much of it in first place. It was much more about "hey, here is this magic world full of cool things and npcs. Go around, explore and try to be anhero". I have taken a look at their site, and this game is actually something they had in the backburner for a long while now. But it is far from finished, which is why they set up the kickstarter, I suppose.

Now, I dunno. I think the demo shows a grasp of what made QfG work. They need to work a bit on the puzzles. And they definitely should make it so you can't just train your skill by just doing something completely trivial like the tree climbing in the demo. But my impression still is mostly positive.

[Edit: I don't know what the heck was up with that "killing" sentence. But it is fixed now.]

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, sorry to make your penis flaccid, man. Never my intention.

It is just a demo - a preamble to the game, and as stated in the intro of the game, many elements will change for the final release.

There are three different paths one can take in this demo as well - three different characters will ask you for a favor. You can agree to help them or choose not to, as well.

Sorry it didn't tickle your fancy, man. We're very proud of what we've done - and we're excited to finish the rest.

Bt

KellyShipman

Educated
Really kaizoku?

I've been here awhile but this will be my first post, mainly to disagree with you.

The demo was actually like a mini game to me. Yes the story isn't fleshed out yet but I think the teaser at the end should be apparent that there is more than meets the eye. I've noticed there are three story lines just in this demo with different outcomes on their own.

The writing didn't bother me much, it was witty and entertaining. Much more so than your regular drool you run across in other adventure games. EX "Thou art this and thou art that"
The demo was fun, so count me in. Not to mention the other remakes their team has done that I enjoyed very much. Just another reason to throw money into this.

Sorry kaizoku but I just feel like you're way off base here. The art was fantastic, made me feel like I was playing a nostalgic classic adventure game. Some things need tidying up but I'm sure that will come with funding. This demo was probably done for free which is something to behold.

Bt, great job and thanks for sharing. I'm impressed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They probably should have called it a Proof of Concept, not Demo.

And then specifically detailed what they were precisely trying to show. Like:

* Example of the Dialogue System
* Example of the Inventory System
* Example of travel

etc...

KellyShipman

Educated
I have no clue what you are talking about Jaesun.

This is way more than I've seen from any other kickstarter. To each their own I guess.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Jaesun, have you played our demo? It's a fully working demonstration of the game, which you can play. It's not some rolling demo, or just a mere one room proof of concept. There are 20 rooms to explore, and for an adventure game, that is not small.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have not Blackthorne. I was more going off on what kaizoku stated. As he usually isn't someone who just shitposts/trolls but just posted his thoughts on it.

I recently completed Quest For Glory I and II (doing all 3 classes for each game) I still have that fresh in my mind. I shall give this demo a try tomorrow.

I personally really enjoy the artwork I have seen on the site.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
It's cool; I was just curious as to if you had played it or not. Well, I hope you do enjoy the demo more than kaizoku did. Poor dude really didn't like it - c'est la vie, I suppose.

Bt

Alex

Arcane
I don't mean to speak for kaizoku, but I think this is just a problem of expectations. 20 rooms are not short by any measures, even if one was to use the old sharewre that came in cds with magazines during the 90s as a measuring stick. But what actually happens in those 20 rooms ain't that much. I mean, there is a lot of introductory stuff (which is good and important, I am not trying to put down what you did up to now), but the actual interactive part, the puzzles and actual plot development, is all in all a small thing. For myself, this was enough to convince me support you guys, but I guess that when kaizoku saw hat it had a Demo, he jumped to the assumption you already had more of the "meat" of the game done.

Blackthorne

As I said, I liked the demo a lot. Enough that I decided to support. I really hope you will stay a while. Maybe even discuss a bit of the design of the game. The RPG Codex doesn't have a whole lot of adventure players, but the QfG is, I think, equal parts RPG and Adventure. So, I think this game would be right up our alley!

kaizoku

Arcane
I am surprised, I actually really liked the little demo. I thought they captured some of the style of quest for glory and managed to give it a different more sinister spin, I guess. The two things I disliked about it were:
  1. The narration, and description can get a bit silly. I think this is a a direct result of not having professional voice overs, but it really doesn't bother me too much. Besides, QfG could get silly too.
  2. The puzzles could have been baked a bit more so killing the method of killing the creature was related to your profession. The rogue could have tried to set up a trap, while the sorcerer could have looked for some obscure bit about the creature that gave you an edge.
I do agree that the game is lacking much of a story, but do consider that they are going for a QfG I vibe. That game's story wasn't thrown into your lap all at once, it was more of a slow affair, and there wasn't that much of it in first place. It was much more about "hey, here is this magic world full of cool things and npcs. Go around, explore and try to be anhero". I have taken a look at their site, and this game is actually something they had in the backburner for a long while now. But it is far from finished, which is why they set up the kickstarter, I suppose.

Now, I dunno. I think the demo shows a grasp of what made QfG work. They need to work a bit on the puzzles. And they definitely should make it so you can't just train your skill by just doing something completely trivial like the tree climbing in the demo. But my impression still is mostly positive.

The artwork is great, the voice acting is quite good (considering there are no professional actors), and they have the tech skills for coding a game (their remakes are proof of that). I am not putting these aspects in question.
My concern was, do they know how to design one?

I agree that they captured some of that QfG vibe, and I did like that "infamy" twist. It would be great to give the player the opportunity to be the town prankster or the pillager of booty or some other evil doings, but...

But what actually happens in those 20 rooms ain't that much. I mean, there is a lot of introductory stuff (which is good and important, I am not trying to put down what you did up to now), but the actual interactive part, the puzzles and actual plot development, is all in all a small thing. For myself, this was enough to convince me support you guys, but I guess that when kaizoku saw hat it had a Demo, he jumped to the assumption you already had more of the "meat" of the game done.

Yeah, for a demo I was expecting them to showcase what they can do in terms of story and interactivity and puzzle design. I was expecting a full slice of the cake, not the whole cake, but a complete slice of it. And what was there was the full sugar coating but only a few crumbs of bread.
Compare the depth of this demo with the AoD demo and you can see what I mean. (yes I know they're different genres, but the point is that there is a complete sample of the whole thing)
But not all is bad. Some dialogs did put a smile on my face. And I found the tree climbing grind as both an homage to QfG and as a joke when you climb other trees (although you do use the climb skill).

I am guilty that I only tried the path of the Rogue. Will have to check the others.

Will leave it on the kick watch and decide latter on.

I'm curious on what Sceptic (our local QfG scholar) has to say on this one.

It's cool; I was just curious as to if you had played it or not. Well, I hope you do enjoy the demo more than kaizoku did. Poor dude really didn't like it - c'est la vie, I suppose.
It's not so much that I didn't like it. More like the ride was over before I even got out of the parking lot.

Anyway, will you guys be pondering the addition of a text parser?
Obviously that not all interaction outcomes would have to be voiced, just a few is more than cool with me. I just wouldn't like for the interactions to be limited by the voice acting.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Heh, well, it's not supposed to be a full fledged ride... that's what the full game is for! But I hear ya.

As a far of text parser, I do want to integrate it is some circumstances and sequences. We're working on that design, especially for some puzzles and conversations.

This really is just a taste of the beginning - and many things are left vague, to build some interest. I don't want to give away the whole enchilada right now, do I?

Keep your eyes on it; I promise the development will be interesting, and it'll be a good game in the end. A 10 dollar pledge gets you the full game when it's complete, and heck - that's cheaper than a night out!

Bt

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
I am guilty that I only tried the path of the Rogue. Will have to check the others.
(snip...)

Do try! I thought the rogue path was the least developed of the three. The brigand's path has the most interesting puzzle, while the sorcerer's hint of hidden knowledge and power has an interesting mood of its own.

(...snip)
I'm curious on what Sceptic (our local QfG scholar) has to say on this one.
(snip...)

No, you are curious what Sceptic has to say (this way he will get a notification about this thread).

(...snip)
Anyway, will you guys be pondering the addition of a text parser?
(snip...)

I just wanted to add I too would love to see the use of the text parser as well. I think they can add an extra layer of interactivity to these games by requiring the player to think about how they want to accomplish their aims.

Morkar Left

They have no competition around for that genre besides QfG itself?
They ask for only 25.000 $?
They have a good track record, already?
They have a demo?
You can get the game for only 10$?

I hope the game will offer me more choices than but one! Will back it.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Actually, the rogue's path has probably the most involved alternative puzzle solution in the game. It involves the pole in the river and how to get it. You can only get it out during the dusk hours, too. Well, you can get it out at night, but Brattle's gone to sleep by then and you can't give it to him.

Bt

Alex

Arcane
Blackthorne

Oh, I missed that the first time around. I actually like the alternate solution better than the default one because you actually have to be sneaky to pull it. I also like it that you have to be fast, and therefore more or less know the layout of the town. I also do like the idea of alternate solutions for puzzles beyond the basic class division. Like in this case where the thief has two ways of getting the oil. But I do like this kind of thing best when there are also different consequences. I guess in this case the consequence is that we get the fishmonger's good will in the process, but I still wanted to mention it. I also found it very interesting how you use parts of a puzzle in other puzzles. Like how both the sorcerer and the rogue can use the glass for different things.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yes - see, in the full game - consequence and influence are a very important part of the game-play. Sure, you may have an infamous past, but even "villainous" types weild a charm and influence over people. It is what gains them the ability to have followers and supporters. Most people would think that a darker game would be about running around, causing mayhem and destruction. That's not the point here. A good leader gains the influence, trust and respect of people. Most bad guys don't consider themselves bad..... if you wanted to run around just killing and breaking everything, it'd be Thug Quest! You're not a thug. It's a Quest For Infamy. Gaining allies is important....

That's one of the game mechanics of the full game. What kind of a bastard you are, heh.

Bt

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I couldn't even find the town square where execution took place. Seriously, this game needs a quest compass. Pledged. :lol:

Alex

Arcane
Actually, the town square can't be reached outside the cutscene. I figure this is a temporary thing, but no path really leads there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom