Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Review [Quickie No. 007] A Look at Railway Empire

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Darth Roxor, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Tags: Gaming Minds Studios; Kalypso Media; Quickie; Railway Empire; Tacticular Cancer

Choo choo! I heard you like playing with train sets. I don't know if the same is true for community member Scruffy, but apparently his appreciation for railroading was big enough to write us a Quickie™ of Railway Empire, a lite train baron tycoon kind of game that supposedly isn't even complex enough to be called a simulation kind of game.

If you're only looking for the gist of it:

[​IMG]

Railway Empire (from now on, R.E.) is a tycoon-type “simulation” game – in quotes, since it doesn’t actually simulate much – where you take up the role of a railroad baron tasked with connecting the East Coast of the United States with the West Coast.

For those of you who have no intention of reading the whole review: if you enjoyed Railroad Tycoon and Sid Meier’s Railroads!, or generally like railroad baron games, or have a thing for the First Transcontinental Railroad, you’re probably going to enjoy this game, for a while. If instead you’re expecting a proper simulation, down to micromanaging stuff, then you will not enjoy R.E., as it will be a bit too simplistic for you.​

I, for one, am always grateful when someone gives me the tl;dr right at the start of an article. For those of you with more patience and greater attention spans, you can read the full review here: [Quickie No. 007] A Look at Railway Empire

• Brofist x 10
    • incline x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Button x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LostHisMarbles Learned Patron

LostHisMarbles
    My first toy train set was made in Western Germany .. my dad brought it to me as a gift, returning from a business trip there. Some moron at the local luftwaffe airport had opened it too, inspected and seal-stamped it ja, just in case it waz zpy materiel mein Fuhrer! Sorry, i meant mein Chancellor.
    Different times.

After i opened it (and asked him what does it do, lol), he pulled the living room table and chairs aside so he could set it up for me; unforgettable moment.

Trains are incline.
    (no idea about the game, lol)

• incline x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. sigard Savant

sigard
    3d graphics are great...

schizophrenia on codex is getting worse and worse

• Participation Award Participation Award x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    For a railroad baron game the graphics are, in fact, great, considering this type of game does not focus on the graphics pretty much at all.

• Brofist x 6
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Maxie Prophet Patron Glory to Ukraine

Maxie
    so you're posting railway sims on the front page but not konjad's rpg reviews

• Funny x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    thanks i forgot to add the tcancer tag to the article

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Late Bloomer Educated

Late Bloomer
    Damn near 90 USD for the DLC

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Drop Bear Learned

Drop Bear
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 23
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Creative x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Bloodeyes Arcane

Bloodeyes
    Liking trains is a symptom of autism

• Yes x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron Sad Loser

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "The target audience for Railway Empire is people who love train sets, who enjoy playing with model trains and fantasize about traveling during the Gilded Age. If you belong to that niche, then you’ve found your game, and it will give you hours of fun."

Strongly disagree with that, this game is for people that like for sims to have gamey mechanics and goals. If you are spazzing out about trains and models and shit I don't think you will like this game. It's actually not that shallow with it's mechanics, but some of them are pointless (the 4 crew slots and the stock market for example) or mixed bag (researching). I would say the campaign is the main meat of the game and the maps with the challenges you have to beat are very well designed. Optimizing you start is important, but there is a lot more decisions you have to make mid to late in any given scenario. I would say if you like your sim games more on the gamey side this is like that.

^ Top  
  11. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    My assessment might of course be wrong, however what mechanics are not shallow? What is there to do aside from figuring out how to most effectively lay down the tracks?

^ Top  
  12. Sin2x Educated

Sin2x
    April 1st was more than two weeks ago, slowpokes.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Is that supposed to be bad? Everyone has autism according to modern psychologists.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron Sad Loser

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well aside from the tracks as you note, there is a supply and demand system for the cities, volume of production from farms/mines, type of production you yourself build in cities, mail and passenger type cargo for fast tracks etc. I wouldn't say any of them are some kind of simulation or some very complex systems, but I found them really compelling and fitting for the overall design of the game. I would say the supply and demand mechanics in Railway Empire are better done than in later Anno games. It's greater than the sum of its parts is the best I can describe it. Again the biggest enjoyment I found was from the challenges in the campaign as the free build type mode is terrible, it's very easy and there is not enough scope for it to be interesting. It's fun to build a city from 10k to 200k, but that gets boring fast.

^ Top  
  15. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Now it makes sense why Scruffy keeps jumping on the simplest bandwagon.

• nice nice x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    I mean, there is, but also it doesn't really count. Once your system is extensive enough - which doesn't take long - any issue with one city will be absorbed and made irrelevant by the economy of all other cities

Kinda same as above. If one type of production doesn't work, heh, you have a presence in six other cities and farms etc, you'll absorb the losses until they get productive again.

Yeah. I would even say they're... shallow

Right, which is closer, in my opinion, to a puzzle than to a managerial

Didn't play anything after 1503, so no idea, sorry, and I can't really argue over what you find more enjoyable, personally the campaign missions were fine, but there's no point arguing taste. You said yourself the mechanics are not very complex or even simulation-like, and I agree, maybe you don't like the word shallow, but that's how they felt to me.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID

I put quite a few hours into that game. Pretty fun, although I lost interest at some point before finishing the Japan DLC.

I remember finding the interface a little unwieldy, particularly in laying tracks where the game can sometimes develop a mind of its own and decide the track needs to make a 200 mile loop-de-loop detour. Would have preferred a simple hex grid with manual track section placement.

It would have been nice if there was a little more involved with the development of industry in cities. IIRC you can max cities out pretty quickly and there's no much left to invest in.

^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    That immediately popped into mind.

Fuck Mordor when you have Sodor.

CHOO CHOO!
    :hype:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Naraya Arcane

Naraya
    Are there any good train-sim games based in Europe? I'm tired of everything happening in the US, while it is Europe who should excel in this regard.

I don't remember anything else other that Railroad Tycoon - and even there the European theater was kind of an afterthought.

^ Top  
  20. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID

Most of the expansions for Railway Empire are based in Europe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Watser Arcane

Watser
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Late Bloomer Educated

Late Bloomer
    Huh? Here are the locations of the 90 dollars of DLC

Japan
    Down Under (Australia)
    Andes (South America)
    Great Lakes (Canada lol)
    Mexico

Northern Europe
    Germany
    France
    Great Britain/Ireland (Sold as one dlc just to rub salt in the wounds)

• Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    I love your reviews Roxor. I hope we can get a full blown train RPG some day which includes an appropriate equipment screen where I can equip a variety of engine components, whistles, etc.

I suppose this will have to do in the mean time.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    people sure love attributing revios i didn't write to me

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    his shark one is my fav so far

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.