Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Röki - A Scandinavian Folklore Adventure by Polygon Treehouse

WallaceChambers

Learned
That's a fair point and I also thought to myself while playing that the game that it was in the ballpark of SoMI difficulty, but somewhat easier. Which is really good to me because SoMI is my ideal balance of difficulty.

I think Roki does about the best job you could do of simultaneously being accessible and challenging. It's a really tough balancing act, though.

But I'm glad they went through the effort because Roki will probably be my go to (modern) adventure game to reccomend for new players. It's like the perfect game to take someone uninitiated and whip them into shape for the retro classics.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i finished it few weeks ago. overall it's great. i like the story, the puzzles are pretty well done albeit easy but ironically better and more challenging than something like unavowed

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished this a while ago. It was nice, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a modern classic. First of all it's too easy (granted, that seems harsh when it's obviously aimed at a younger audience, but still). The Tragic Backstory also felt forced, I'm not sure it added much to the game, and the nightmare sequences weren't very good in comparison to the proper areas, while for the most part simply retreading ground story-wise.

That said, the meat of chapters 2 and 3 was good. Like others have said it oozes charm (despite using that airbrushed minimalistic pastel style of graphics which I usually dislike), and I wish there had been more interactions with the NPCs, because what's there is delightful. Chapter 3 felt like a proper climax, the gimmick worked well, and the story also took an upswing by focusing on the father and not having TRAGEDY pushed in your face at every turn. The interconnectedness of the area was also great, just wish it had been a bit more challenging.
Good game all in all, would recommend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom