Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racial bigotry BTFO

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...ture-An-Alternative-to-Race-in-5e?src=hottest

Character creation rules for 5e that replace race with ancestry, culture, and mixed heritage, for awesome new PCs
From the successful ZineQuest Kickstarter!

Play as the child of an elf and an orc, or a tiefling and a halfling!

Play a character of one ancestry who grew up in a different culture!

Have you ever wondered why there are half-elves and half-orcs in your favorite fantasy roleplaying game, but not half-tieflings, half-dwarves, or half-gnomes? And why only allow orcs and elves to have children with humans and not others? Why can't we play the child of an elf and an orc or a gnome and a halfling? What's more, what if we want to play a human raised by elves, like Tolkien's Aragorn, or a halfling who grew up among orcs? Wouldn't such characters be different than a halfling who grew up among her own people, for example? It would be a delight to be able play such a diverse cast of characters, with such a wide range of ancestries and cultures.

Well, now we can! This 70-page zine of rules and original fantasy art allows for the easy creation of a variety of new ancestral and cultural combinations and types, without having to make big changes to the core game rules. What's more, they replace the problematic concept of race as it is traditionally used in character creation. Ancestry provides those heritable traits a character might receive from their parents, such as height, average lifespan, and darkvision, and culture provides such teachable features as weapon training and ability. This frees us up to play the characters we want to play, without all the baggage, and provides us many more options, just dripping with role-play potential.

In addition to the new character creation rules, Ancestry & Culture also includes two adventures, "The Light of Unity" and "Helping Hands," suitable for players of all ages, which highlight the themes of the title.

And if you'd like a whole lot more ancestries & cultures to supplement this, check out Custom Ancestries & Cultures, which contains 61 more, from fantasy classics to bizarre originals.

#OrcLivesMatter

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The sad thing is, a supplement like this could actually be interesting, but then they had to add that quip about how an established D&D trope is "problematic", thus sucking away any enthusiasm I felt.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
vVYFBf.gif

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The sad thing is, a supplement like this could actually be interesting, but then they had to add that quip about how an established D&D trope is "problematic", thus sucking away any enthusiasm I felt.

Absolutely. 5e race rules are somewhat mediocre, especially when using point buy.
Races which dont get at least +1 in a stat by creation make awfull classes that utilise the stat, as they cant reach a +3 modifer by game start, which hamstrings them pretty hard with bounded accuracy.
Also there are some absurdities in general such as variant humans being a few dozen times better than any other race at everything or drow getting the massive drawback of sunlight sensitivity without any counterbalancing advantages.

Multi race rules would be deeply appreciated, but "race" isnt problematic. Its a part of roleplaying. We live in a wolrd where only one sentient race exists, going to one where there are multiples is one of the most fundamental escapist aspects of fantasy.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What's more, they replace the problematic concept of race as it is traditionally used in character creation.

Race is a social construct shit lords! Educate yourselves for fucks sake.

DraQ

Arcane
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...ture-An-Alternative-to-Race-in-5e?src=hottest

Character creation rules for 5e that replace race with ancestry, culture, and mixed heritage, for awesome new PCs
From the successful ZineQuest Kickstarter!

Play as the child of an elf and an orc, or a tiefling and a halfling!

Play a character of one ancestry who grew up in a different culture!

Have you ever wondered why there are half-elves and half-orcs in your favorite fantasy roleplaying game, but not half-tieflings, half-dwarves, or half-gnomes? And why only allow orcs and elves to have children with humans and not others? Why can't we play the child of an elf and an orc or a gnome and a halfling? What's more, what if we want to play a human raised by elves, like Tolkien's Aragorn, or a halfling who grew up among orcs? Wouldn't such characters be different than a halfling who grew up among her own people, for example? It would be a delight to be able play such a diverse cast of characters, with such a wide range of ancestries and cultures.

Well, now we can! This 70-page zine of rules and original fantasy art allows for the easy creation of a variety of new ancestral and cultural combinations and types, without having to make big changes to the core game rules. What's more, they replace the problematic concept of race as it is traditionally used in character creation. Ancestry provides those heritable traits a character might receive from their parents, such as height, average lifespan, and darkvision, and culture provides such teachable features as weapon training and ability. This frees us up to play the characters we want to play, without all the baggage, and provides us many more options, just dripping with role-play potential.
Well, arguably this does make sense for races that can interbreed (and so are actual races rather than separate species), and added granularity can sure be welcome.

Even for races that cannot interbreed (so are effectively separate species rather than just burly short humans, pointy eared humans and green humans with tusks - incline in other words) separating biological and cultural ancestry opens up some nice opportunities.

In addition to the new character creation rules, Ancestry & Culture also includes two adventures, "The Light of Unity" and "Helping Hands," suitable for players of all ages, which highlight the themes of the title.

#OrcLivesMatter
...and now my cringe meter blew a fuse.

Sorry, no matter what your agenda might be, stick it forcibly far enough up other people's asses and you'll start provoking gag reflex.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Although to be fair this feels like a great way to introduce a bunch of half-orc rape-babies into your game world.

Whimper

Educated
tiefling orc elf gnome troll dwarf dragonborn halfling
What, all at once, :lol:?
Why not? It'd be amusing to take all the positives and negatives from all the pure races and mix them up into one. Of course dnd only say stuff like this to get attention and use the publicity in the hope of selling product which is all a bit sad, but hey who cares about scruples?

Semiurge

Cipher

One of the loading screens in VtM:B describes how the cultivation of human's disbelief in vampires is important to the masquerade, as it makes it easier for vampires to hide in plain sight, in prominent positions even, with the humans totally unaware of the monsters sharing their cities. This may have been lifted from the rulebooks themselves.

Considering how easily some subtle political commentary may be interpreted as "problematic", I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go after things like that. Not anymore, anyway, as history is being whitewashed as I type this. Greetings from a dead man and all...

DraQ

Arcane
Including granular tracing of ancestry and cultural VS biological heritage could seriously be as much incline as splitting race and class.
Yes, it will lead to tons of awful roleplaying, but also open avenues for good roleplaying and systemic handling of more granular ancestry both in DnD and copycats (read: cRPGs).
However...
"Problematic" considered harmful problematic.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Meh. I dislike the trend of making everything political so I'm voting with my wallet. A bunch of Seattleite latte sippers who despise me and everything I stand for don't deserve my money. Hell, much like Evil Hat, they probably don't even want it. I'm happy to oblige.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, they're not doing this for the right reasons (increased character customization/roleplay opportunities, adding in different character perspectives and maybe incorporating it somehow into actual gameplay appropriately). They're doing this purely out of political masturbation and to take a stance on the current climate when it's the players that have to deal with this shit ultimately.

Luckily you can just house rules the garbage out anyways. No elf-orc rapebabies at my table, fuckos.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, they're not doing this for the right reasons (increased character customization/roleplay opportunities, adding in different character perspectives and maybe incorporating it somehow into actual gameplay appropriately). They're doing this purely out of political masturbation and to take a stance on the current climate when it's the players that have to deal with this shit ultimately.

Luckily you can just house rules the garbage out anyways. No elf-orc rapebabies at my table, fuckos.
But spider exterminators are jake by you, right?

Semiurge

Cipher

One of the loading screens in VtM:B describes how the cultivation of human's disbelief in vampires is important to the masquerade, as it makes it easier for vampires to hide in plain sight, in prominent positions even, with the humans totally unaware of the monsters sharing their cities. This may have been lifted from the rulebooks themselves.

Considering how easily some subtle political commentary may be interpreted as "problematic", I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go after things like that. Not anymore, anyway, as history is being whitewashed as I type this. Greetings from a dead man and all...

Damn, this didn't come out as I intended at all. Just to be clear, I meant that the aforementioned could be interpreted as a critique of how a certain portion of the left handles the problems of multiculturalism, or rather how they don't. Any similarities to anti-semitic propaganda are simply coincidental for my part and that of Troika's, surely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom