Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racial bigotry BTFO

Johannes

Arcane
The sad thing is, a supplement like this could actually be interesting, but then they had to add that quip about how an established D&D trope is "problematic", thus sucking away any enthusiasm I felt.

One of the loading screens in VtM:B describes how the cultivation of human's disbelief in vampires is important to the masquerade, as it makes it easier for vampires to hide in plain sight, in prominent positions even, with the humans totally unaware of the monsters sharing their cities. This may have been lifted from the rulebooks themselves.

Considering how easily some subtle political commentary may be interpreted as "problematic", I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go after things like that. Not anymore, anyway, as history is being whitewashed as I type this. Greetings from a dead man and all...

Damn, this didn't come out as I intended at all. Just to be clear, I meant that the aforementioned could be interpreted as a critique of how a certain portion of the left handles the problems of multiculturalism, or rather how they don't. Any similarities to anti-semitic propaganda are simply coincidental for my part and that of Troika's, surely.
You're the antisemite here, why would you think that? The vampires are a stand-in for reptoids, not jews.

Semiurge

Cipher
The vampires are a stand-in for reptoids, not jews.

They're all interchangeable
meh.png

Semiurge

Cipher

meh.png
It is your considered opinion that reptoids and jews are one and the same?

Not literally, but thank you for baiting. What they have in common is that they are a source of paranoia for many. Vampires on the other hand have disappeared from modern foklore, unless one also includes the so called energy-vampires. Extraterrestrials are the new 'other'.

Whimper

Educated

meh.png

Not literally, but thank you for baiting. What they have in common is that they are a source of paranoia for many. Vampires on the other hand have disappeared from modern foklore, unless one also includes the so called energy-vampires. Extraterrestrials are the new 'other'.
Have they disappeared from modern folklore? Did people in the 1800s really believe in the magic and monster beasties in the Grimm brothers collections? Since there seem to be quite a few modern books, games and movies with vampires I think they're very much still around also I think there is still some belief in parts of Europe and Africa how real that belief is is hard to gauge.

The above refers to vampires not jews, don't want to cause any confusion.

Semiurge

Cipher

meh.png

Have they disappeared from modern folklore? Did people in the 1800s really believe in the magic and monster beasties in the Grimm brothers collections? Since there seem to be quite a few modern books, games and movies with vampires I think they're very much still around also I think there is still some belief in parts of Europe and Africa how real that belief is is hard to gauge.

I don't know how widespread such beliefs in superstitious hocus-pocus were back then, you'd have to ask Beckett. They did exist though, especially in rural areas where modern christianity hadn't taken hold yet. But I don't think pop-culture is the same thing.

Whimper

Educated

meh.png

I don't know how widespread such beliefs in superstitious hocus-pocus were back then, you'd have to ask Beckett. They did exist though, especially in rural areas where modern christianity hadn't taken hold yet. But I don't think pop-culture is the same thing.
I'm not so sure, was Jack the giant killer part of English pop culture? It was just an entertaining series of stories few would have believed it so I'd say it was ingrained in the popular culture of the day, just like the modern variations of vampires.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Meh. I dislike the trend of making everything political so I'm voting with my wallet. A bunch of Seattleite latte sippers who despise me and everything I stand for don't deserve my money. Hell, much like Evil Hat, they probably don't even want it. I'm happy to oblige.
They want you to donate soy and vegan food instead. Hobos ate all their stocks.

What's more, they replace the problematic concept of race as it is traditionally used in character creation. Ancestry provides those heritable traits a character might receive from their parents, such as height, average lifespan, and darkvision, and culture provides such teachable features as weapon training and ability.

So ancestry provides everything a race (species) would have naturally, and culture is that character's particular past (human kid raised by dwarves, learned dwarven tricks growing up). Which is...how it's always been?

Whimper

Educated
Thought I'd ask the random question here rather than start a new thread, perhaps my new anti semitic friend Semiurge would know the answer. Is Paleomythic any good, I was quite tempted (and remain so) by Wurm the French Iron (*stone) age Neanderthal game but it's pricey and Paleomythic also looks good at less than half the price.

Can't be worse than D&D right?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I remember people that Star Wars RPGs have always correctly used the word "species" instead of blindly copying D&D's mistake of using "race" like many other fantasy RPGs have. Even the ones that can crossbreed with humans (only possible because they share the same ancestors thanks to the Rakata's slavery) are classes as different species (albiet "near human"). There was even a reminder on it for scenerio submissions to RPGA's Living Force campaign.

Curratum

This is exactly why I'm no longer playing D&D and will not be teaching my kid to play D&D but a d20 homebrew that has absolutely fuckall to do with what WotC is putting out these days.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
... In DND the races are literally different species. Some can cross-breed, but they're clearly different species. Are these leftist racists reading real-world racial representations into the DND racial archetypes? Let me guess, the Orcs are black?

The profound stupidity of this motherfucker-ism.

Semiurge

Cipher
... In DND the races are literally different species. Some can cross-breed, but they're clearly different species. Are these leftist racists reading real-world racial representations into the DND racial archetypes? Let me guess, the Orcs are black?

The profound stupidity of this motherfucker-ism.

Fantasy races that embody negative qualities are bad, there's work to be done until they all will be equally smart, pretty and pacifistic. Everyone should be like the elves, the masterrace.

The communists wouldn't allow art to convey attitudes that are seditious, and the far-left are getting dangerously close to commies. I don't discriminate people based on qualities they were born with, because that's uncivilized, but these lunatics chose their totalitarian "religion" which makes them fair game in my opinion.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Holy fucking shit :lol:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is what happens when the vast majority of people playing D&D at this point are degenerates and weirdos. Of course there are still plenty of real people that play and enjoy D&D, but most of those people are playing the older, not-shit versions. WotC doesn't get any money from those people hence them not giving a shit about what those people might want. Face it, the management of WotC has shifted to represent its audience, and this is what sells.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
That's absolutely right, there's a group of incline oldbros at my work that play some older D&D with pdfs and manuals from ages gone by and haven't given WOTC (or whoever before them) money in twenty years. So why would WOTC cater to them when they need to virtue signal in the hopes that they get even a tiny amount of woke dangerhair transbucks.

They also play cockatrice for Magic, too.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's absolutely right, there's a group of incline oldbros at my work that play some older D&D with pdfs and manuals from ages gone by and haven't given WOTC (or whoever before them) money in twenty years. So why would WOTC cater to them when they need to virtue signal in the hopes that they get even a tiny amount of woke dangerhair transbucks.

They also play cockatrice for Magic, too.

WOTC chosen to to release shit releases after shit release after 3.5, why should I support them in first place Comrade? I still buy books and games sure just not from shit and bourgeois decadence peddlers so its not like they're forced to go full SJW its the long time consequence of their choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom