Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racial bigotry BTFO

2019: Agendered elves? That sounds like you're pandering, but okay I guess they're elves so it's believa-
2020: Morally and culturally complex orcs
2021: ________

Bara

Arcane
I particularly enjoy Crawfords mental gymnastics for why its okay for Gnolls to remain all evil but not orcs

Gnolls are made by a fiend and thus are actually fiends and not humanoids and can be a okay to label as evil only.

Yet Orcs who pretty much have the same origins in FR can't because they get to keep their humanoid tag.

Whimper

Educated
I particularly enjoy Crawfords mental gymnastics for why its okay for Gnolls to remain all evil but not orcs

Gnolls are made by a fiend and thus are actually fiends and not humanoids and can be a okay to label as evil only.

Yet Orcs who pretty much have the same origins in FR can't because they get to keep their humanoid tag.

The comments are illuminating. From one Mr Kramer: 'In the future, can we ditch the meaningless concept of race completely? Elves, gnolls, aaracockra and so forth are different sentient *species*'

Has it ever been denied that they were supposed to be different sentient species though?

orcinator

Liturgist
incline in other words) separating biological and cultural ancestry opens up some nice opportunities.
Cultural traits and species traits get combined because DnD wants to balance the weird monster mash with the different colored humans by having the monsters get weird abilities like nightvision and slime powers and give the normies +2 to a skill or two, (which might end up being more useful depending on how easy it is to buy gear that gives you the equivalent of the weirdo's powers or it might be a joke like getting a +x to evaluate rocks).
It's doable in a system with modified character generation but DnD also wants to be kept simple to appeal to non-autists so I doubt this will do anything but result in more homogenized monster races.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom