Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racing Sims?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Anyone here into racing simulators?

Not console or arcade games like Grand Turismo, Forza or Grid - but real simulators like GTR, LFS, or rFactor?

I was a sim fan years ago and just recently got back into it. Bought a Logitech G25 wheel, built a nice rig and got a 3 monitor setup going.

Started playing around with the 3 sims mentioned above, then I heard about iRacing. It's an on-line subscription based service - a bit like how an MMO works but for racing. At first I thought - meh, I'm not paying to play online, but I did hear some pretty impressive things about it, so I thought I'd give it a try for 1 month ($20).

It's freaking awesome! It has by far the best graphics and physics of any sim out there. The tracks are all laser scaned and super acurate.

What I love most about it though is the organisation. Your career is pretty much all laid out for you - with some variations (oval, road, car, track) etc. Each series you join focuses on one track per week, the setups are a breeze, everything auto-calibrates - you just practise, qualify (if you want) and get in and RACE!

It's class/experience based, so you're usually racing against drivers of similar ability. You go up a class at the end of each season based on your Safety Rating - not on how many points you accumulate. Which is also great at keeping the racers clean, as no one want's to ruin their SR.

Somthing else that's pretty unique is - no body is allowed to be annonomous, you have to use your real name - it's obtained from your credit card details. This helps keep the kids out and everyone civilized, after all - we know who you are lol.

A lot (more and more everyday it seems) of big name RL racing drivers use the iRacing service - it's that damn realistic. I was in a race the other night with Dale Earnhardt jr! - he blitzed the field of course :) When he went by me (he lapped me more than once), I was so proud - how many (non-race cars drivers) can say they got lapped multiple times by Dale Earnhardt jr!! It's not just some kid using his name - it's him - I even chatted to him on my headset - nice guy too.

The kicker is though, it can get a bit expensive, as you have to buy extra cars and tracks as you progress through the ranks and series - but the fun I'm getting out of it makes it totally worth it. If you want to have a go though, you need only pay for 1 month and you get all the cars and tracks you need to compete in the rookie series. Then decide where you want to go with it after that - so sim fans, check it out:

http://www.iracing.com/home.html

Edit: Oh, BTW - unlike most commercial MMO's, there's no initial game purhase either - just the subscription fees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom