Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
People on Twitter saying he's so "brave" for writing that article. GTFOH.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if it'll end up like Avalanche's previous title Mad Max which was panned by professional reviewers with similar sounding criticisms but liked by gamers.

I don't care about scores, but scanning the positives and negatives it sounds like everyone agrees the combat is excellent and basically an open world Doom 4, which should be the main point of interest. That kind of smooth FPS combat is what I'm after and it sounds like it delivers. I think the "world design is basic" complaints were also leveled against other Avalanche games and basically boil down to a lack of theme park design, which is a very subjective thing.

- Main mission ends too soon and doesn't incorporate most of the world

So they didn't try to rectify the top complaint the original had then.

Couple that with Denuvo and requiring a Bethshit.net account and this is a very easy pass.

Seethe

Arbiter
So, fellow codexers, is this game shit?

It's jank that I refunded 1 hour into the game. The shooting feels nice, but not as nice as Doom 2016 imo. However it has CRAPLOADS of bugs even in the menu. The audio is completely fucked and voice lines randomly stop working, car acceleration sounds kind of like a bad quality stock sound effect. The writing is dogshit literally 5 minutes into the game, but since i'm not a storyfag for these kind of games, that isn't too important. It looks super blurry, as if I need to wear glasses, and has a lot of bad textures and bad VFX, especially noticeable are the dust effects when you drive over dirt. The physics are screwed as well, if you drive with your car over objects, they fly like crazy into the air, even small trees. The interface is very ugly, and the menus are also laggy and freeze while browsing them. It has a very low budget feeling attached to it. It's pure jank, do not waste your time until a sale, or until it's cracked.

A real shame, I did not expect it to feel this low budget.

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
From what I have seen it looks like a pretty generic shooter combined with a somewhat open world with gameplay gimmicks like we have seen in FPS and action-adventure games in the last ten years.
Even the big bad's goal is pretty much the Enclave's all over again.

I don't get why Zenimax thought it was necessary to bring back Rage. Like several major FPS titles before it was just a glorified tech demo.

JDR13

Arcane
requiring a Bethshit.net account

Only for silly online community shit, completely irrelevant.

Nope. Apparently Bethesda pulled a fast one. You can play the base game without a Bethesda account if you purchased it directly from Steam, but you need a Beth account to redeem and activate the DLC.
So, for example, if you pre-ordered it, you have to link to a Beth account to access the pre-order bonus mission and items.

Seethe

Arbiter
Having microtransactions is one thing. Having microtransactions in such janky garbage is a whole 'nother world. They could've put those resources into making a proper game instead. Pathetic.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Having microtransactions is one thing. Having microtransactions in such janky garbage is a whole 'nother world. They could've put those resources into making a proper game instead. Pathetic.

Micro-transactions are horrible regardless. I like to buy my game one time and know I'm getting everything.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Its $100 in my country. A game that expensive shouldn't have micro-transactions. People are blaming steam when its the developer that sets the pricing, this is obviously because Bethesda.net is a load of shit and so they're punishing their customers for using a network that actually works.

Black

Arcane
D6gHcqyXsAEsRTK.jpg:large

Last edited:
I just can't stand how the game looks. I usually don't mind a bit of chromatic aberration, especially if it's used sparingly and to achieve a very specific look. I'd also say I like the general trend of games being colorful and going for creative visuals over drab colors and boring attempts at realistic graphics that'll age terribly. But holy crap does Rage 2 look like an eyesore. It's actually painful to look at, and even Gmanlive's positive review mentioned how the game gave him a headache after a while. Meanwhile, the game's art style and general tone is boring and uninspired compared even to the first Rage, which is really saying something.

Hell, even the weapons look pretty standard for the genre outside of some sort of gravity weapon, the car combat looks really weak, and I just don't get a sense that this game has any reason for people to, well, play it. That's probably one of the worst sins a game can commit. I freely admit that I disagree with the general Codex consensus regarding a lot of triple-A releases and am probably a huge enabler of the :decline:, but holy shit this looks bad.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy fuck the way this game presents tutorial truly pisses me off. A game that touted itself as a fast-paced shooter has the tendency to completely pause the game just to show you what function this or that button do. So, right at the beginning, this girl told the protagonist through the radio "dude you can activate overdrive so you can go haywire and kill shit faster", 3 seconds later, the game stops you just to repeat what she said in a new tutorial screen, now with button prompt to execute overdrive. Why do that crap? Why not just show "OVERDRIVE PRESS V" after that dialogue?

Also those ARK thingy where you earn abilities and new weapons. Once it grants you new shit, you're immediately moved into a barren looking simulation room and do what the announcer tells you to do, which is not exactly a lengthy process, but it still feels like a waste of time because these things aren't that complex to use. Best part is once you get out of the ARK, the game seems to always spawn a horde of enemies so you can test your new toy. At that point why even put the simulation room into the game.

Last edited:

ZeniBot

Cipher
Also those ARK thingy where you earn abilities and new weapons. Once it grants you new shit, you're immediately moved into a barren looking simulation room and do what the announcer tells you to do, which is not exactly a lengthy process, but it still feels like a waste of time because these things aren't that complex to use. Best part is once you get out of the ARK, the game seems to always spawn a horde of enemies so you can test your new toy. At that point why even put the simulation room into the game.

And this is how you can tell Avalanche did most of the work here. All of these issues are present in most of their games specifically the Just Cause titles. I do have to really wonder if the reason Bethesda decided to ditch ID software handling the full development had to do with a talent purge when Carmack left because its clear who ever did the Vehicles for Rage 1 don't work there anymore, so Bethesda figured fug it and hired Avalanche to shoehorn Mad Max into Rage 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just played 3 hours. Some thoughts...

1. It looks blurry on ultra as someone said above, but if you turn off depth of field (which especially looks awful), chromatic aberration and the blur AA it does not. It's not like you can't change the settings guys. Now, whether you want blur AA or jaggies is your call, but definitely turn off depth of field. It looks fucking awful, with things blurring everywhere even pretty close to the camera while walking around. Can't imagine suffering the console versions that don't let you turn shit like that off.

2. I don't really have any bugs or glitches as someone said above. No sound errors, no jank really. I turned shadows down to high and it runs 60fps locked with v-sync and no resolution downscale on a 1060 at 1200 res, which I am happy with. Only real port issue I have is the default keybinds are ass, but you can change all of them. Oh and the weapon model is too close, making even a 90 FOV feel tight, but that's pretty normal lately for whatever reason. Anyway, the jank is probably PC dependent. It feels "AAA" to me, whatever value that has to you. Oh and you can hit space bar when it says you have to hit enter, FYI. Was annoyed until I realized that.

3. It's basically a Far Cry 3 type of game. Even has outpost type things you clear, and the same kind of upgrade thing. You earn resource points by doing missions and those you use to upgrade certain skills. Other things like weapon upgrades and powers you have to find things in the world that you boost them with. Gunplay feels good, not as solid as Doom 4 (it's a different engine, Avalanche's engine, which I didn't realize) but solid. If you like this type of game and want one in a sci-fi/mad max style settings, I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this one. I'm sure dozens of people in this thread will tell me how horrible it is though.

4. You do need to login to Bethesda account for pre-order items, but who the fuck cares about cheat style pre-order items? I couldn't care less (though Steam automatically logged me in anyway).

CyberModuled

Arbiter
"So how are we going to convince people to buy RAGE 2 on Bethesda.net instead of Steam..."
[Pete Hines looks at Denuvo and smiles]

(either that or it's an intentional fuck up on Bethesda's part which well at this point wouldn't be surprising)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Denuvo? Fuck off with that shit, Bethesderp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom