Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

Venser

Erudite

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except you have to do that for all DLC not just bonus weapons. So that includes any extra story-based missions as well.

I mean, I'm no fan of DRM or online bullshit, so I'm not defending it. Just saying the game is packed to the gills with content already so I'm not really bothered that a few extra scraps require a login, ya know? I like the game so far because the combat is excellent, but I can already say I'm not 100%ing it or anything, it doesn't have the chops for that, so it doesn't really matter.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I enjoyed Mad Max from these Avalanche guys, so I will probably like this. Come at me bros.

Yes, I enjoy these kind of "bad" popcorn action shooters when i want to turn off my brain and just shoot things.

Though I will say the screen effects look pretty revolting, hope they can mod that out soon as.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I enjoy these kind of "bad" popcorn action shooters when i want to turn of my brain and just shoot things.

To me popamole always meant the Call of Duty style stand there and shoot people without much thought or movement type of shooter. That's where that term comes from, as it's like those whack-a-mole games at the carnival, just stand there and pop the moles. It was an actual criticism of the gameplay, rather than the edge-lord "everything sucks" way the Codex tends to apply it to basically any modern shooter now. In this game (and Doom 4) the combat is very dynamic, you have to be constantly moving and aiming well, switching weapons and using powers and melee. The powers and weapons are pretty good so far, with lots of armored enemies forcing you to get in close with the shotgun or slam ability. The enemies move quickly, throw lots of grenades and the mutants rush you. It's good, solid fun FPS combat.

The rest of the game is pretty simplistic, but if you just want some fun FPS combat I think it delivers that.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The rest of the game is pretty simplistic, but if you just want some fun FPS combat I think it delivers that.

Yep, thats all I need. Like I said "popcorn action shooter", just like a solid B action movie, you know it will have a terrible story but its great fun cos your just there for cheesy acting and explosions.

Nu-Doom was surprisingly good for a modern shooter. Thats why you should never go FULL EDGELORD, you may miss out on something thats actually fun.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Avalanche knows how to make satisfying to play games, but I really wish they didn't make open worlds. They do it in the most basic way possible. Like Rage 1, I wish it didn't have it, or the cars.

To me popamole always meant the Call of Duty style stand there and shoot people without much thought or movement type of shooter. That's where that term comes from, as it's like those whack-a-mole games at the carnival, just stand there and pop the moles.

I always thought it was Gears of War style shit, where you spend the whole game crouched behind the 3' tall barriers that the world is somehow covered with, only popping up to shoot quick bursts off and on.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I always thought it was Gears of War style shit, where you spend the whole game crouched behind the 3' tall barriers that the world is somehow covered with, only popping up to shoot quick bursts off and on.

Yeah, that might be the actual originator. Call of Duty was basically the same though, despite the lack of official cover system. You always stood still, aimed down the sight and popped them moles. Nu Doom, whether people like it or not, is very much not that.

In any case "Nu Doom in a nice looking but empty open world" is the perfect way to describe this game. Act accordingly.

Gerrard

Arcane
maybe they are playing 4D chess and denuvo is meant to discourage players from buying the game from steam.

300 IQ move man!

30zz4a.jpg
"You don't get Denuvo if you don't buy the game"

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Avalanche knows how to make satisfying to play games, but I really wish they didn't make open worlds. They do it in the most basic way possible. Like Rage 1, I wish it didn't have it, or the cars.

Yea seems to be the general consensus, the combat/shooting is great, every other part of the game is shit. Even the driving is bad!? How they manage that, it was good in Mad Max...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Driving is fine, I think people just don't like the default vehicle which is tanky and turns like shit. There's other cars that drive better.

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
Except the Witcher 3 at least had exceptional writing. I don't even need to ask if that's present here.
within the first 5 minutes you're the wasteland chosen one who is the only one with the all powerful suit of armor whose previous owner just had his head bitten off and everyone else who had similar armor is apparently dead and you have to find people who can help you do something or other because your dead aunt-mother-person talked to you after she died because she knew with 100% certainty that she would die, you'd get the armor, and open the vault to find her digital ghost and tells you exactly what you need to do
none of this is an exaggeration

the depth of field gave me motion sickness, I have no idea how someone thought that was acceptable. It basically just blurs the screen randomly.

Beastro

Arcane
you're right
one tells you how to beat the game without any effort required on your part, and the other just helps you get there faster

Your point would have been better served if you'd touched on many inexplicable twisted puzzles and shit in old games being put in specifically to "encourage" players to buy the guides to continue the game.

Simon's Quest's infamous wall crouch bullshit was an example of that.

Codex Year of the Donut
you're right
one tells you how to beat the game without any effort required on your part, and the other just helps you get there faster

Your point would have been better served if you'd touched on many inexplicable twisted puzzles and shit in old games being put in specifically to "encourage" players to buy the guides to continue the game.

Simon's Quest's infamous wall crouch bullshit was an example of that.
I assumed it was implied, video games used to be built around that shit like how they're built around lootboxes and DLC now.

Beastro

Arcane
Yeah, that might be the actual originator. Call of Duty was basically the same though, despite the lack of official cover system. You always stood still, aimed down the sight and popped them moles. Nu Doom, whether people like it or not, is very much not that.

In any case "Nu Doom in a nice looking but empty open world" is the perfect way to describe this game. Act accordingly.

Wasn't CoD after the first practically the opposite in that you often never needed to shoot enemies and what mattered most was pushing forward to tackle the infinite spawns?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't CoD after the first practically the opposite in that you often never needed to shoot enemies and what mattered most was pushing forward to tackle the infinite spawns?

I'm not saying you stood there the whole game dude. I'm saying the combat itself, the method of shooting the enemies, was stand and pop the moles. In Nu Doom and this game you have to be constantly moving, using different powers and weapons, dodging incoming stuff. It's much more active and dynamic combat. If this game and Nu Doom are "popamole" then every shooter is, and the term has zero meaning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom