Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If that stuff happened during combat encounters it would bother me, but it's always like a cool-down after you kill all the bad guys. The combat is too fast-paced and intense (on hard anyway) to keep that pace up all the time, so I think the "flow" works by having crests and troughs like that. If you don't like it though then you don't like it, whatevs. I just think it's a weird thing to focus on but some people probably think I focus on weird shit sometimes too. I recently quit Dark Souls pretty fast because I couldn't stand the campire system, and I'm sure some people think I'm weird for that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished this. Well, finished the "story" and upgraded everything I cared to upgrade. I put story in quotes because it has to be one of the lamest, pretty much not there stories I've seen in a singleplayer game of this nature since... ever? Even the big finale is a boss fight that just kind of ends and the credits pop up awkwardly almost mid-sentence. I knew the story was barely there before, but mainlining it to finish it really shines a spotlight on how not there it really is.

Rage 2 honestly reminds me of a phone game my wife would play, where they give you the barest hint of a setting and story but the actual motivation is all about getting those bars to go up. It's not a loot game like Borderlands at all, it's a make the bars go up game. Lots of games have this kind of design now-a-days though, from Witcher 3 to Mass Effect Andromeda... go around the map markers, check things off the list, watch your bars go up. Companies have decided this is what gets consumers hooked. The only reason this game is being shit on extra hard for it is because those games had stories that made you feel like you were doing more than that, and this game has no fucking story at all basically. It lays bare exactly what you're doing, just checking shit off.

That said the combat is fun, and the world is pretty (though either very jaggy or very blurry with nothing in between). I'd recommend it to big FPS lovers in a Steam sale someday, just to fuck around with for 20 hours before getting too bored and annoyed with the basic gameplay structure. That's what I did and it was entertaining for what it was. I'm a money-burner so whatevs, but for the average FPS nut I'd say it's worth $15 or so someday.

JDR13

Arcane
I was close to picking it up, but I'm glad I didn't waste my money.

I might grab Plague Tale, but the next game I'm really looking forward to is The Sinking City.

Cadmus

Arcane
Finished it. 7h50mins.

All the combat was great and that is the only reason to play the game

The world is total shit, feels like a theme park disneyland with random roads and cliffs everywhere.
Not enough enemies per encounter. The game was too easy on hard. I think I died 3 times, 2 of that from falling. what the fuck. Should I play on nightmare just to get SOME challenge?
Shit boring dialogues, didnt listen to anything
the cars handle like total shit
no art direction
all else than shooting was 100% boring
I didnt even get all the guns lol dunno. I tried exploring but the map was soooo goddamn horrible. fuck that.

All the combat was great and that is the only reason to play the game
all else than shooting was 100% boring

I agree. The shooting is great but unfortunately you will spend a minority of your time actually getting to do it. Most of the game is spent driving around and incredibly uninteresting open world desperately looking for somewhere where you can kill shit. After you find a place and kill the shit there, you're stuck once again wandering around looking for widgets to fulfill the stupid collect-a-thon objectives before getting back in your vehicle to rinse and repeat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The encounter areas are so densely packed together I gotta call B.S. on "driving around looking for combat." It's fucking everywhere, the map looks like a bag of Skittles by the end.

typical user

Arbiter
I don't recall posting in this thread so I will add my cherry on top.

The game is cool, a one-way ticket cool. Play it, beat it, sell it or put it on the shelf. If it had memorable story and characters it would be gold material for replayability.

The good:
-Combat, after upgrading your assault rifle, combat shotgun and strafe all to level 3 it becomes much more easy. Killing is so fun I was left with desire to kill more. By the end on highest difficulty you become rolling slaughterhouse, anything unlucky to cross your path is in for world of pain.
-World. The locations are empty but it is varied and it actually made want to explore more. I liked the swamp area and cities buried in sand, very post-apocalyptic. Even the raider locations filled with trash had some logic, like repurposed gas stations, jury-rigged road blocks.
-Abilities and their development. There is some cool stuff, you can really become a walking killing machine. The only problem is there are too many abilities and by the end you do not necesserily need half of them. Loadouts would fix this but that probably was against developers vision for the game.

The bad:
-Lack of story. There is just prologue and then it's whatever. Characters are not really memorable expect for that doctor in swamps but that's more because of his unique design. It feels like the devs ran out of money.
-The scale of the world and locations. First, everything is so close together. There is no space for vehicle combat, before you can find stuff to shoot with your main vehicle you are already at your destination. The vehicle controls have some input lag of sorts but it is pretty solid. The areas themselves are too small. The difficulty of each bandit outpost and whatnot should instead indicate the size of the thing. By the end I just wanted to kill more stuff but was left with same lame areas to clear just like near starting town. The flow is off.

And that's it. Sure, I can tell more but that's really all about the game. It's cool to vent after day in work or play in your free time but doesn't give you anything more. I guess Rage 2 is supposed to be an intruduction to Doom Eternal - I hope Id takes this game and improves their own work based around people's feedback.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love the "add a sharpness feature!" bullshit. More post-processing on top of post-processing, what a treat. Make it look like a fucking mangled mutant. Just turn down the depth of field or blur AA you idiots.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I love the "add a sharpness feature!" bullshit. More post-processing on top of post-processing, what a treat. Make it look like a fucking mangled mutant. Just turn down the depth of field or blur AA you idiots.

Looking at the original by comparison is interesting:

Everything looks washed out, pastel and fuzzy in the sequel. That comparison with the gun from the original and the new one just had me lol. Consoltardation has ruined gaming forever since this kinda of garbage comes from them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you just put it on Ultra and play it's an extremely blurry game, yes. It's because of the AA and depth of field, they're extremely aggressive. Turn them off or down and it looks pretty normal, but jaggy as hell of course. I'd guess no AA and 4k res would be the ultimate solution, but my GPU couldn't do that.

Cadmus

Arcane
Agree, the game is fucking blurry. I kept checking if I'm running in a wrong resolution or something but no...
On the other hand, the game ran quite fine on Ultra but it looked like shit.
I actually forgot I had played this until I saw the notification on the forum.

I would recommend getting it on some big discount for like 15 € max. It's not a full game imo. The devs expect the player to make his own fun with the races and bounties but everything about them is complete shit.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Also, for some reason they decided to do the post-launch content roadmap thing for a singleplayer game that isn't even in Early Access, which isn't going to make much of an impact when everyone already completed the game and wrote it off as mediocre. Or perhaps post-launch support is just the new AAA method of coping with rushed games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nobody even wanted Rage 2

It's funny how that game reviewed well and if you watch videos from when it came out people praised it, but now everyone acts like it was this heaping pile of trash. Bethesda should have paid attention to that, fair or not.

sullynathan

Arcane
Also, for some reason they decided to do the post-launch content roadmap thing for a singleplayer game that isn't even in Early Access, which isn't going to make much of an impact when everyone already completed the game and wrote it off as mediocre. Or perhaps post-launch support is just the new AAA method of coping with rushed games.
Might I ask what's wrong with supporting a game post-release? Even if said game is mediocre, it's additional content for those who keep on playing it and brings back some players (and new players) into the game everytime new content is announced and released.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Might I ask what's wrong with supporting a game post-release? Even if said game is mediocre, it's additional content for those who keep on playing it and brings back some players (and new players) into the game everytime new content is announced and released.
It's true that it maintains interest in a game in the long-term, but to me it gives the impression that it's just an extension of the "we can patch it later" culture that comes with modern videogames which enables buggy games at launch and gives you less reason to buy the game at launch before its GOTY edition. It's also questionable whether the roadmap will be upheld if the game sells like shit at launch and prompts the publisher to have the devs work on another game or sequel instead.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Codex Year of the Donut
This game could have been saved by having a good story IMO.
It's a real shame because there's enough there to actually make something interesting.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's true that it maintains interest in a game in the long-term, but to me it gives the impression that it's just an extension of the "we can patch it later" culture that comes with modern videogames which enables buggy games at launch and gives you less reason to buy the game at launch before its GOTY edition. It's also questionable whether the roadmap will be upheld if the game sells like shit at launch and prompts the publisher to have the devs work on another game or sequel instead
I'm quite sure throwing a few guns and missions every month doesn't require all of avalanche studios time. If they do have another game then they're working on it already, if they don't, then this is a good use of their time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom