Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ragnarök: Einherjar a Tabletop Wargame

TShiningOne

Literate
Hello everyone, I am new here and came to attempt to promote my up and coming Tabletop Wargame called Ragnarök: Einherjar. We will be on Kickstarter in a few months and I am trying to get more people to notice our game. It is a hex based grid system with height, much like Heroscape, and has multiple factions to choose from that have unique units and playstyles, a lot like Warhammer. The game is intended to be played by 2-5 people, ages 16+, and it takes around 30-60 minutes per game depending on how many people are playing and how large of a board you design with your tiles. I have created an Instagram for the game as well as a Discord server, but i'm really worried that I just don't have enough people's attention to be a successful launch. If anyone here is interested in hearing more, please reply here and I will give you almost any info you want. I will not be posting the Insta or Discord in this initial post because I don't know the rules on such matters. If anyone wants a link to either I will gladly post it in a comment if that is acceptable.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
please reply here and I will give you almost any info you want.
Imagine walking into a publisher's office and saying "i'm making a game, you want it? well then run after me and ask me about it" and then walking away. Same energy here.

Last edited:

TShiningOne

Literate
please reply here and I will give you almost any info you want.
Imagine walking into a publisher's office and saying "i'm making a game, you want it? well then run after me and ask me about it" and then walking away. Same energy here.
Well idk man, I can't exactly post 40+ pages of art and text here, can I? Everything is on the IG and Discord. But I wanted to come here and engage with people in real time and hopefully get some conversations going. I was told to come here by a few people so I did. Not exactly sure why you want me to just dump everything here when I have other pages set up for just that. The IG and Discord are under the same exact name as the game, but if i'm allowed to post a link then here: https://www.instagram.com/ragnarok_einherjar/ have a look. Also not sure how asking people to engage is anything at all like that little scenario you painted.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Well idk man, I can't exactly post 40+ pages of art and text here, can I?
Jesus christ. It's called a press kit or a pitch or whatever. You're not gonna make a kickstarter and say "i'm making a game, if you wanna know more shoot me an email", you'll make a presentation for them. So why not make one for the forum?

You're weird.

TShiningOne

Literate
Well really the only other link would be the Discord, which is: https://disboard.org/server/788446731326455819
I was trying to post some images here for you all, but this site seems to only take URLs, and it doesn't take IG ones. Am I missing permissions as a new member, perhaps? There seems to be an option to select URL for images, which makes me think that there are other options that I simply can't use at the moment. So since I can't post pics I am not sure what else to do other than post my Instagram and Discord and hope people take a look.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You can upload some images directly as long as you click the image icon or hit CTRL+P. After that drag the images you want from your hard drive to the box that says Drop Image.

TShiningOne

Literate
After a very kind moderator explained to me how to properly post what I needed to; here we go:

TShiningOne

Literate
I plan on having 5 Pantheons in the first iteration of the game, 10 Champions and 30 Minions; then due to events in the story another 5 Pantheons will emerge during the first X-pac for a total of 10, after which every other X-pac released will include 1 Champion and 3 Minions of each Pantheon for players to build their Armies with. I will also release smaller x-pacs every 6 months or so with just some units rather than having all the tiles and terrain, etc. The idea is to have at least 1 major x-pac a year with at least 1-2 smaller packs in between the major updates just to keep things lively. I have tons of characters already made and being balanced (even if they don't have models yet) and I have a roadmap of how I want to expand the game each year and what is going to be included in those packs.

TShiningOne

Literate

Beginning to work on 3D Printable Molds for those of you in the community that would rather cast creations using other materials!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Pretty sure 90% of the stuff you've posted is only interesting to people who already know about and are invested in your game. You posted a bunch of pictures of "Pantheons" without explaining what they are or how they function in your game, or why they matter. You've posted endless miles of pictures of cute hex bases without a single shot of one actually in use, or said what the player does with them or what it affects. There's not a single picture of a game in progress showing how the board might look.

A board game isn't like a car; you can't just show us pictures of random parts and hope that's enough to get people interested. Tell us how $feature adds replayability, or how $feature adds a fun twist on $genre or whatever. Tell us about some interesting things that have come up during playtesting. Make your game sound fun and interesting to play and that'll net you more interest than another out of context close up of a piece of plastic, assuming you haven't already scared everyone off who didn't want to spend 2 minutes scrolling past said pictures of plastic. I'm not saying this just out of malice; you could have a genuinely cool game here, but the way you've presented it it's near impossible to tell.

Finally, please tell me you're not using Times New Roman for your fonts. It's not helping.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Right. All of these minutiaemiles of pictures of unfinished plastic bases, rough-draft unit cards out of context, and so onare for YOU, the creator, to worry about while you're developing the game. It's not that we aren't interested in minutiae here at the Codex, but you need to have a fleshed-out, presentable vision ready to show the public, even if the final product isn't ready. Even grognards need a sensible way to judge if it's worth getting into the minutiae.

I know a thing or two about this, because I work for a firm that deals partly in graphic design; I do some graphic design in the office myself, although mostly I draft technical drawings and blueprints in CorelDRAW and AutoCAD for the fabrication shop, because the two graphic design girls in my specific office have absolutely no head for mechanics or technical detail. I also work in the fabrication shop itself, and occasionally even help install what we fabricate on job sites.

I design and sometimes fabricate and install signs for a living, basically, from those gigantic lit-up corporate box store signs that require a crane truck install, to complicated mall or shopping center multi-sign pylon monuments, to mom 'n' pop shingles hanging out on a pole. When we email a sales pitch presentation PDF to a client, it had better not be a long scroll-by of bits and pieces of random technical shit, screws, un-vinyled channel letter cans, random LED module schematics, etc. It needs to be a presentable vision. Your backers, and tabletop wargamers, are the clients in your case.

Also, your graphic design chops are very basic. It looks as if you fired up Inkscape or Photoshop for the first time just recently. When it comes to tabletop wargaming, you pretty much need lush and eye-popping graphic design, because let's face it: Minis are expected to be beautiful, and so are the unit cards, the rulebooks, etc. Like it or not, it's a very aesthetics-driven hobby, and this has been true since just a decade at most after the original D&D books dropped in the 1970s. You're trying to get a bit fancy, but that frankly just makes it worse.

You need a graphic designer and/or a good artist, or to become one yourself. There's no way on God's Earth anyone's going to notice this garage homebrew amateur mess.

TShiningOne

Literate
Pretty sure 90% of the stuff you've posted is only interesting to people who already know about and are invested in your game. You posted a bunch of pictures of "Pantheons" without explaining what they are or how they function in your game, or why they matter. You've posted endless miles of pictures of cute hex bases without a single shot of one actually in use, or said what the player does with them or what it affects. There's not a single picture of a game in progress showing how the board might look.

A board game isn't like a car; you can't just show us pictures of random parts and hope that's enough to get people interested. Tell us how $feature adds replayability, or how $feature adds a fun twist on $genre or whatever. Tell us about some interesting things that have come up during playtesting. Make your game sound fun and interesting to play and that'll net you more interest than another out of context close up of a piece of plastic, assuming you haven't already scared everyone off who didn't want to spend 2 minutes scrolling past said pictures of plastic. I'm not saying this just out of malice; you could have a genuinely cool game here, but the way you've presented it it's near impossible to tell.

Finally, please tell me you're not using Times New Roman for your fonts. It's not helping.
First off, let me apologize for the late response; i've been working very hard on balance and the board design these past few months and haven't done much in the way of social media. I hear what you're saying and I am finishing the final versions on the board at the moment. I had a design scheme earlier that was functional, but not practical so I didn't want to show it off at that stage. At the moment the board is very much where I want it and I would be happy to show you some of it. To be fair, everything is explained in my 2nd and 3rd post, as that is the rule book that explains the pantheons, the gameplay, the tile effects, the mechanics listed on the cards, the way things are set up and done, etc. Please read that when you find the time and let me know if it is well comprised.
It's not TNR, but it is a Seriff font.

TShiningOne

Literate
Right. All of these minutiaemiles of pictures of unfinished plastic bases, rough-draft unit cards out of context, and so onare for YOU, the creator, to worry about while you're developing the game. It's not that we aren't interested in minutiae here at the Codex, but you need to have a fleshed-out, presentable vision ready to show the public, even if the final product isn't ready. Even grognards need a sensible way to judge if it's worth getting into the minutiae.

I know a thing or two about this, because I work for a firm that deals partly in graphic design; I do some graphic design in the office myself, although mostly I draft technical drawings and blueprints in CorelDRAW and AutoCAD for the fabrication shop, because the two graphic design girls in my specific office have absolutely no head for mechanics or technical detail. I also work in the fabrication shop itself, and occasionally even help install what we fabricate on job sites.

I design and sometimes fabricate and install signs for a living, basically, from those gigantic lit-up corporate box store signs that require a crane truck install, to complicated mall or shopping center multi-sign pylon monuments, to mom 'n' pop shingles hanging out on a pole. When we email a sales pitch presentation PDF to a client, it had better not be a long scroll-by of bits and pieces of random technical shit, screws, un-vinyled channel letter cans, random LED module schematics, etc. It needs to be a presentable vision. Your backers, and tabletop wargamers, are the clients in your case.

Also, your graphic design chops are very basic. It looks as if you fired up Inkscape or Photoshop for the first time just recently. When it comes to tabletop wargaming, you pretty much need lush and eye-popping graphic design, because let's face it: Minis are expected to be beautiful, and so are the unit cards, the rulebooks, etc. Like it or not, it's a very aesthetics-driven hobby, and this has been true since just a decade at most after the original D&D books dropped in the 1970s. You're trying to get a bit fancy, but that frankly just makes it worse.

You need a graphic designer and/or a good artist, or to become one yourself. There's no way on God's Earth anyone's going to notice this garage homebrew amateur mess.
As I stated above, please forgive the late response, I only just recently came back on here to make a post, I didn't expect a message. I am grateful that you are interested enough to speak on the subject, but tone it down a bit. Almost the entirety of your post is you stroking your own ego about what a great designer you are; which is great, I am glad you're good at what you do, but you could have given me your credentials in a much less aggressive manner. The truth is the majority of people I speak to on other sites enjoy the aesthetic I have going; but I get your point. If you don't like it, that's fine, but there's no need to blatantly assault it and say its trash; very unprofessional of you. That being said, this game isn't only being sold as a cohesive unit. It will be broken down into smaller units of sale as well, featuring a Tile Pack, which will allow buyers to purchase only the tiles if they so choose, as a great deal of tabletop gamers use tiles from different games in their preferred games. There will be a Unit Pack, which will allow buyers to purchase only the units because some people will just want to use these for their own games, be it another wargame, a D&D Campaign, or to simple enjoy painting something new. Single units will also be available for purchase for buyers who just want one or two models for the reasons mentioned prior. There will also be an Obstacle Pack for players who just want the rocks, trees, walls, pillars, etc. for use in their other games if not in this one itself.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As I stated above, please forgive the late response, I only just recently came back on here to make a post, I didn't expect a message. I am grateful that you are interested enough to speak on the subject, but tone it down a bit. Almost the entirety of your post is you stroking your own ego about what a great designer you are; which is great, I am glad you're good at what you do, but you could have given me your credentials in a much less aggressive manner.

This is my much less aggressive manner.

The truth is the majority of people I speak to on other sites enjoy the aesthetic I have going; but I get your point.

The truth is that a lot of other sites have staff-enforced politeness policies. Feedback from flatterers is about as useful (and genuine) as my Mom telling me I'm handsome. Your best feedback will come from people who are actually willing to pay for your work, which likely applies to virtually none of the nice folks you're referring to, who are almost certainly being polite.

If you don't like it, that's fine, but there's no need to blatantly assault it and say its trash;

This has nothing to do with whether or not I personally like what you've presented. I'm quite capable of objectively judging a piece of graphic design or an artwork that is very much not to my own tastes. In fact, I have to work with (and alter/improve) artwork I don't like all the time on behalf of clients.

very unprofessional of you.

I'm not speaking in a professional capacity, although I did make note of my profession; I'm speaking in a personal capacity. If you were a client paying me to turn your artwork into a sign (or into cards that I'd be printing, etc.), I'd tell you that your artwork looks fantastic. That's not what's going on here, though. We're just two people talking on an Internet forum that (you may be unaware of this) is VERY heavy on honest, aggressive criticism in addition to discussing RPGs.

As a total tangent, overuse and misuse of "(un-)professional(-ism)" is a pet peeve of mine. Retail managers tell their part-time cashiers to "be professional" all the time, but cashiering isn't a profession; doesn't pay like one, has no discernible career track, no real opportunity for advancement, a small menial skill set, etc. Karens accuse Starbucks workers of being unprofessional for not putting up with their bullshit, but "barista" is a job, not a profession. You just criticized me for behaving unprofessionally on my off time while having a conversation on an Internet forum. Professionalism is the way you conduct yourself when you're actually in the act of performing your profession.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom